Where and/or how are garments made?

Ok, well my question has been answered. I really didnt mean to offend. If this could be closed now, i would be very greatful. Sorry wordFLOOD. My title was intended to be funny. My humour is a little to insensitive for my own good. Sorry again. Please dont leave because of me, im not worth that.

Ive learned alot in my short time here and have been very greatful for all the help. I wish you all the best.

With love, John(Lost_one)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durlon is a synthetic fabric. The folks at the Distribution Center will tell you it is durable and capable of wicking away moisture. :) To date, I have never called anyone a Durlon. ;)

I got your quip...thought it was funny too. I had just never heard of Durlon. Drysilk, yes. Cotton, yes. Mesh, yes. Durlon, no.

I got your quip...thought it was funny too. I had just never heard of Durlon. Drysilk, yes. Cotton, yes. Mesh, yes. Durlon, no.

Ah, the wonders of modern chemistry. How would it be to have some lined with teflon to slide on easier? Or Gortex for rough hiking adventures? I would imagine the folks in Draper and the Orient would appreciate silk if it were available.

DUH..she is right..they are made with a new-finagled invention called a sewing machine at a place called Beehive Clothing. The best place to get answers abut garments?? Have a valid temple recommend or become worthy to receive one, go to the temple where you will receive your own and all questions will be answered there. They are called the "Robes of the Priesthood" and are sacred. Most of us who wear them will not discuss it further.

Joni

I have an enquiry to make, regarding the sizing of the garments...I noticed that the garments/temple suits hired from the temple were sized S, M, L, XL, XXL etc. but I wasn't sure if this is the way the garments are sized which are for sale in the distribution centres...I wondered about finding the correct size if they are just sized as above, as I would imagine that they were a non-returnable item once worn? or that they are an item which you would not normally go into a changing room at the shop to try on for size?

I have an enquiry to make, regarding the sizing of the garments...I noticed that the garments/temple suits hired from the temple were sized S, M, L, XL, XXL etc. but I wasn't sure if this is the way the garments are sized which are for sale in the distribution centres...I wondered about finding the correct size if they are just sized as above, as I would imagine that they were a non-returnable item once worn? or that they are an item which you would not normally go into a changing room at the shop to try on for size?

Sent you an email to your home, be on the look out for it.

At the Beehive clothing store there is a size chart that correlates a persons measurements with the sizing on the clothing. The same chart can be accessed on-line when purchasing temple clothing from the Church website.

Usually the workers at the store (or on the phone) are good about helping one to find the appropriate size.

Unopened packages can be returned. When purchasing clothing items from Beehive clothing, the workers generally suggest to only open one package, try the items on...then, if the fit or material is not correct, the other unopened packages can be returned/exchanged for a different size/style/material.

Now you all have me real curious. I'm new to this site, but what the heck are garments, other than clothes you wear? Sounds like a sensitive subject to Mormons and I've never heard about it before. I have LDS friends and it seems like they wear the same clothes as anyone else to me. I guess I can ask them or will they throw me to the ground and put a half-nelson on me if I do? Do all Mormons wear garments, or do you have to be a certain age? :confused:

Now you all have me real curious. I'm new to this site, but what the heck are garments, other than clothes you wear? Sounds like a sensitive subject to Mormons and I've never heard about it before. I have LDS friends and it seems like they wear the same clothes as anyone else to me. I guess I can ask them or will they throw me to the ground and put a half-nelson on me if I do? Do all Mormons wear garments, or do you have to be a certain age? :confused:

Good question. These garments are ceremonial underwear worn only by adult Mormons who have been initiated into the mysteries of the Temple Ceremony. The details of this Ceremony are considered by Mormons to be too sacred to discuss openly.

I'm not sure that I would choose the word 'mysterious' to describe the temple ordinances.

The ordinances performed for adult members of the Church in the temple are

1) Washings and Anointing

2) The Endowment

3) Sealing (Marriage for Time and Eternity)

In each of these ordinances, members of the Church reaffirm the covenants they made at the time of baptism and commit themselves to a more devout adherence to these covenants. In return, they are promised the possibility of greater blessings, both temporally and eternally, than are available without the Temple Ordinances.

The ordinances and teachings that go on in the Temple are drawn from a mixture of scripture and modern-day revelation. Because much of the teaching is done through symbolism, it has great potential for being misunderstood by those who have not studied the Gospel from the LDS perspective. Whereas these teachings and covenants are very special and sacred to us, we do not discuss them lightly so that they will not be mocked or belittled by those who do not understand.

Now, to address your question about Garments:

When we say Garments, we are talking about a set of undergarments, consisting of an undershirt and something like boxer briefs (although not quite). They are worn by both men and women who have been through the first two of the three ordinances mentioned earlier. Those who wear the garments may or may not wear other undergarments with them. Typically, men do not require additional garments, but women usually wear bras with Garments, and some form of undergarment during menstruation (Garments aren't made to support feminine hygiene products).

The symbolism of the Garment has it's roots in the Old Testament. First, when God visited Adam and Eve after they had partaken of the fruit, "the Lord God [made] coats of skins, and clothed them" (Genesis 3:21). The Garments LDS members wear are representative of those coats of skin. One of their purpose is to clothe us, and encourage us to live modest and chaste lives.

Further insight into the Garment is found in Exodus

And thou shalt bring Aaron and his sons unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and wash them with water.

And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him... Exodus 40:12-13

The 'holy garments' spoken of here, were a manifestation of Aaron's office, covenants, and responsibilities. The Garments LDS members wear are an individual reminder that we put on each day of the covenants and responsibilities we have before God. Since it would be rather awkward and embarrassing to wear a breastplate with 12 stones in it all the time, we simply wear a type of undergarment, to maintain discreteness and allow us to integrate with the world around us.

A person commits him or herself to wear the Garment during the Washing and Anointing, following the pattern in Exodus, where Aaron and his sons were washed, anointed, and clothed, in preparation to coming before their God and committing themselves to serve Him.

Offical LDS Church Newsroom

Like members of many religious faiths, Latter-day Saints wear religious clothing. But members of other faiths — typically those involved in permanent pastoral ministries or religious services — usually wear religious garments as outer ceremonial vestments or symbols of recognition. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, garments are worn beneath street clothing as a personal and private reminder of commitments to God.

Garments are considered sacred by Church members and are not regarded as a topic for casual conversation.

------------------

Balancing Interest and Good Taste

“There are those who believe matters of private religious observance should be kept from public scrutiny. For example, political and religious commentator Hugh Hewitt wrote some time ago that “there is a sphere of private beliefs about God that is not right to raise or probe, and though the border is hard to find when there are legitimate issues that need to be discussed, heading for the undergarments angle is disgusting and will appear so to most Americans.”

However one feels about reporting and discussing religious differences, one thing is certain. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints want the experience associated with temple worship to be personal and private. They feel that personal and private worship enhances the feeling of being in sacred space and increases the reverent nature they feel toward God.

For Latter-day Saints, temples are one of the things that bind the Church to the Bible and historic Christianity. Temples and temple worship feature prominently in both the Old and New Testaments.

This is an age of seemingly unlimited information. In relation to temple worship and the personal convictions, practices and matters of individual conscience that are essential to any faith, the Church hopes for respect, good taste and sound judgment.”

Apparently so.

Though I personally saw nothing offensive, we all have different testimonies and sensitivity levels.

I made sure to use the word "clothing" in my post, as various items of clothing and even manuals, books, and DVD's of a gospel nature can be purchased at the Beehive store.

Anybody can walk in to the Beehive store on Temple grounds (do all temples have one?). The Orlando temple has some really good items (as I mentioned above) that are available to all members or even non members.

I bought a whole collection of Church manuals from the Beehive store once...

Book of Mormon Stories manual

Old Testament Stories manual

New Testament Stories manual

Doctrine and Covenants Stories manual

Those manuals are awesome, and they are just as valuable to me (an adult) as they are to my kids. The format, illustrations, and simple terminology is perfect for Family Home Evening or our daily family gospel study.

Just wanted to share that not everything sold in the Beehive store is of a personal or private nature.

Hidden

what problem do you have with how this thread is being moderated? have you contacted a mod?

The problem should be obvious from my first post. I dont wish to publicly talk about it, because of my feelings about it and the sacred nature of the subject. However, it has been taken to a moderator with little action. My next step will be the president of More Good Foundation, and then up the ladder from there.

I have also requested that all my posts, under WordFLOOD be removed, and my user ID removed from this forum unless prompt action is taken.

The problem should be obvious from my first post. I dont wish to publicly talk about it

You have that right. You do not have to speak about, or read about it.

The posts/threads are not MANDATORTY reading. I pick and choose the ones I wish to read and participate in. You have that right, also.

I think this thread has been treated very respectfully; I have not felt that any lines were crossed. There are questions, legitimate ones, that were answered for people.

I am sure that had the MODS at any time felt that this thread was inappropriate, they would have locked it.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

You have that right. You do not have to speak about, or read about it.

The posts/threads are not MANDATORTY reading. I pick and choose the ones I wish to read and participate in. You have that right, also.

I think this thread has been treated very respectfully; I have not felt that any lines were crossed. There are questions, legitimate ones, that were answered for people.

I am sure that had the MODS at any time felt that this thread was inappropriate, they would have locked it.

The More Good Foundation is incorrect in my view. I feel the thread, which was modified, is still inappropriate. I understand that you, and other members of this forum are ok with it. I am not. Further, I believe my logic is in step with the church on this matter. I am not angry. However, this is indeed casual conversation about an item that has to do with the temple. If you search for garments under LDS.org, you will only find those two items I posted. It is entirely inappropriate to be posted on a forum. Especially some of the post that referred to this in a comical sense such as the original poster who put on the subject line the cartoon character "Batman" when referring to the post. Further, additional post regarding the details of this subject, are out of line for a forum. I am not going to list them all. But when moderators post details about the garments that are specifically related to the temple, I have to speak out and protest this and its poor moderation.

I have to wonder if the More Good Foundation is more concerned about hits on their forum rather than supporting church direction on this matter.

For many, I suspect that because the moderators did not delete this thread, you thought it was appropriate to say the things you did. Unfortunately, again, this is not in line with the church's view on this subject, which is why I have posted the churches view.

Edited by CableGuy
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

------------------

Offical LDS Church Newsroom

Like members of many religious faiths, Latter-day Saints wear religious clothing. But members of other faiths — typically those involved in permanent pastoral ministries or religious services — usually wear religious garments as outer ceremonial vestments or symbols of recognition. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, garments are worn beneath street clothing as a personal and private reminder of commitments to God.

Garments are considered sacred by Church members and are not regarded as a topic for casual conversation.

------------------

Balancing Interest and Good Taste

“There are those who believe matters of private religious observance should be kept from public scrutiny. For example, political and religious commentator Hugh Hewitt wrote some time ago that “there is a sphere of private beliefs about God that is not right to raise or probe, and though the border is hard to find when there are legitimate issues that need to be discussed, heading for the undergarments angle is disgusting and will appear so to most Americans.”

However one feels about reporting and discussing religious differences, one thing is certain. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints want the experience associated with temple worship to be personal and private. They feel that personal and private worship enhances the feeling of being in sacred space and increases the reverent nature they feel toward God.

For Latter-day Saints, temples are one of the things that bind the Church to the Bible and historic Christianity. Temples and temple worship feature prominently in both the Old and New Testaments.

This is an age of seemingly unlimited information. In relation to temple worship and the personal convictions, practices and matters of individual conscience that are essential to any faith, the Church hopes for respect, good taste and sound judgment.””

The LDS view from the newsroom when I did a search on LDS.org for garments.

Edited by CableGuy

there is a lot of false information out there about the garments. things that i find just laughable that someone would believe but ppl do. it is important that we be respectful but it's also important that we don't be secretive. if we aren't answering ppl's questions someone will. i'd rather answer and know they have correct information than leave them feeling ignored. it's like talking to kids about sacred things. if they don't feel comfortable talking to mom and dad they will talk to someone and who knows what will come of that. best to be honest, open, respectful, and quick to respond than to ignore. ppl have questions, it's parculiar, we were told it was to be that way. why not answer them?

I've read through this entire thread and have yet to find anything out of line. In fact, works on LDS.org are far more detailed than this. Maybe you should read through some of these:

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Permanent Press: The Fabric with a Memory

LDS.org - Topic Definition - Temples

LDS.org - Liahona Article - The Temple Garment: An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment

LDS.org - Optional Courses Chapter Detail - Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple

More Good Foundation doesn't care about forum post numbers. What we care about is that accurate and true information about the Church is found. We do have boundaries of course, but I don't believe the way things have been discussed over-step that.

I'm sure you haven't done a web search for "Mormon garments" or "Mormon underwear," as hundreds of thousands of people do each month. I'm sure it would surprise you that the #1 video on Youtube for both "Mormon garments" and "mormon underwear" is about a non-member going into the distribution center and buying some.

I'm sure you would be quite shocked at the number of "bad" sites and "bad" information there is out there on this topic. You'd probably be shocked to know that people curious about our faith, even investigators of our faith, are finding these sites and taking them at face value. You'd also probably be shocked to know that there are several other really good sites out there, like Jeff Lindsay, that give accurate information like this thread does, without touching on sacred things.

BTW, just because they're curious about it, doesn't make them anti-mormon. People see us in the locker room, people talk back and forth about different things Mormons do, and they become curious. If i was curious about something, first place I'm going is Google.

You can't stop people being curious about it. You can't stop the antis from publishing images and content about it. I would rather someone stumble onto this site than an anti-mormon forum.

I've read the moderator thread about this topic too, and they've handled everything appropriately. So that being said, if the purpose of this site and our goal to push the truth out there to the curious masses, in a way that is appropriate, and you don't agree with it, then I can delete your account. Please send me a PM on this site from your user account. I do not take requests to do this by email or phone, as that is the verification that you own the account.

At the Beehive clothing store there is a size chart that correlates a persons measurements with the sizing on the clothing. The same chart can be accessed on-line when purchasing temple clothing from the Church website.

Usually the workers at the store (or on the phone) are good about helping one to find the appropriate size.

Unopened packages can be returned. When purchasing clothing items from Beehive clothing, the workers generally suggest to only open one package, try the items on...then, if the fit or material is not correct, the other unopened packages can be returned/exchanged for a different size/style/material.

With all due respect, the sizing chart bears little or no relation to the size you actually need. Its oure trial and error. I have to buy one item at a time, try it on before ordering more if it fits. If not, Ive wasted money as you cant return it once uve tried it on. I find the whole thing stressful and difficult. Ive had a really hard time with garments. I can't help but feel theres a better way to show our committment to God.