Temple Doors?

IdahoJones

Hello all. I went to visit the Twin Falls Temple last weekend and had a question you could help answer for me. On most Temples Ive visited IE. SLC, DC, Boise. the east doors are not used. I was told once they are to only be used by the Savior when he returns. I noticed that the only doors into the smaller TF temple is the east doors. So was I was wondering what was the reason for the east doors? Was what I was told about the doors incorrect? Just curious, more than anything.

Louisville is the same way, with one set of doors, and Chicago, is the same layout as Boise and Dallas, and i think the only entry door is on the west side, or south,

I've never heard the thing about the doors, however it may be true, but since the smaller temples only have one set of doors.........(dunno where this thought it going..)

The doors on the temple have a lot of symbolism. I don't have all of hte references at hand, and am too lazy to look them up right now, so I'll try to work from memory and welcome any and all corrections.

They open East to welcome the Savior, who will come 'as the rising of the Sun.'

They open to the East as a throwback to the Tabernacle of the Congregation.

This last one I have no way of confirming. I heard it second hand from someone who claimed they'd heard an expert on Jewish culture say that the doors on the East were part of the symbolism of returning to God. According to the alleged expert:

1) Eden was created

2) The Garden was placed Eastward in Eden

3) When Adam and Eve transgressed, they were sent further East

When the tabernacle was built, the door was on the East, and the Holy of Holies was on the most western side of the tabernacle. So Adam and Eve went from West to East, and as we go through the tabernacle, we return to God, going East to West.

If such is true, then we lose some of the symbolism of the doors in the East because we tend to view it from the Greek point of view (bottom to top) rather than the Hebrew point of view (East to West). But it's a nice throwback.

The doors on the East may be used by anyone, so long as they're unlocked, but I have heard some say that the Eastern doors will be the ones Christ uses upon his return. But I don't know of any reference to support that.

Okay peanut gallery, eat me up.

Hello all. I went to visit the Twin Falls Temple last weekend and had a question you could help answer for me. On most Temples Ive visited IE. SLC, DC, Boise. the east doors are not used. I was told once they are to only be used by the Savior when he returns. I noticed that the only doors into the smaller TF temple is the east doors. So was I was wondering what was the reason for the east doors? Was what I was told about the doors incorrect? Just curious, more than anything.

The only doors that are used on the Las Vegas temple for coming-and-going are the East doors. There are small maintenance doors/emergency exits on the West, North and South sides, but the main doors that every Tom, Dick and Harry go through are on the East side.

Methinks the only reason they are on the East side is because that's the easiest point of access. Had the easiest point of access been on the North, then the main doors that everyone used would be on the North...

Edited by Doctor Steuss

MarginofError had some great things to say. The doors can be used by anyone. I heard of Pres. & Sister Hinckley getting in through those doors one time to get them in quickly -- i forget what temple, however. The idea is the symbolism behind them. The same symbolism behind the East Gate in Jeruselem -- for the Savior's return.

However, not all the temples utilize the same symbolism. The architectural symbolism behind the SLC temple is not the same as the Provo Temple, for example. They are very different structurally but both utilize different symbolism. The Provo Temple has a circular shape, perhaps symbolizing eternity. The three pillars of the SLC Temple are symbolic -- well, 6 pillars really, 3 on one side, 3 on the other. And so forth.

Anyway, hope this helps. Symbolism is HUGE when it comes to temples.

It is interesting to note that the early Christians prayed facing east, as well as the Essene's.

In the United States, many Christians, Jews and Muslims worship while facing east toward holy sites in Jerusalem and Mecca.

Ezechiel said: "And behold the glory of the God of Israel came in by the way of the east ... And the majesty of the Lord went into the temple by the way of the gate that looked to the east. And the Spirit lifted me up and brought me into the inner court, and behold the house was filled with the glory of the Lord".

However, way out west we have a name for wind and rain and fire. The rain is Tess, the coffee's Joe and they call the wind Mariah.*

*Tip O' the Hat to Lerner and Loewe

It is interesting to note that the early Christians prayed facing east, as well as the Essene's.

The symbolism has been there since the beginning.

According to God's instructions, The Tabernacle In The Wilderness faced east. Then, the Temple in Jerusalem, which replaced the Tabernacle In the Wilderness, faced east, toward The Mount Of Olives which is where the Savior will appear.

After the Return of Jesus Christ, "living waters" (physical, and spiritual i.e. the Holy Spirit, will flow from the Temple then in existence, which will also face east.

BTW, Arabs pray in the direction of Mecca not just the east. It so happened that we (westerners) heard them asking "where is the east" as they came and conquered the western part of the world.