Stem Cell Research

funkymonkey

It's nice to know what we're talking about.

There are 4 categories of stem cell research.

1- Non-embryonic animal SCR

2- Non-embryonic human SCR

3- Embryonic animal SCR

4- Embryonic human SCR

I don't think much of anyone has a problem with #2. Animal rights activists might have a problem with #'s 1 and 3, but nobody else does. #4 is the biggie.

Last I heard, the latest discoveries in #'s 1-3 had made #4 a more or less moot point. Meaning, you could run just about any experiement you could think of on 1-3, you didn't need to destroy a human embryo.

LM

I wouldn't put much stock in that. Harry Reid is a member of the church too, but I wouldn't ever consider his positions on issues to be approved by the church.

RoFL. So true. I am glad Harry Reid joined the Church, and I'm sure you are, too.

HiJolly

It's nice to know what we're talking about.

There are 4 categories of stem cell research.

1- Non-embryonic animal SCR

2- Non-embryonic human SCR

3- Embryonic animal SCR

4- Embryonic human SCR

I don't think much of anyone has a problem with #2. Animal rights activists might have a problem with #'s 1 and 3, but nobody else does. #4 is the biggie.

Last I heard, the latest discoveries in #'s 1-3 had made #4 a more or less moot point. Meaning, you could run just about any experiement you could think of on 1-3, you didn't need to destroy a human embryo.

LM

Cool. :)

I had heard about #2, but not about the #1 and #3 options.

The research that is cropping up is showing some promising results for numerous conditions. I wonder if with the recent developments of non-embryonic human SCR will mean that congress will allow this research back in the states. (if they haven't already...?)

If I remember correctly, chord blood banks are legal in the States. I bet in the next 20 years there will be labs in the states that will know what to do with it!

Cool. :)

I had heard about #2, but not about the #1 and #3 options.

The research that is cropping up is showing some promising results for numerous conditions. I wonder if with the recent developments of non-embryonic human SCR will mean that congress will allow this research back in the states. (if they haven't already...?)

If I remember correctly, chord blood banks are legal in the States. I bet in the next 20 years there will be labs in the states that will know what to do with it!

I would, in principle, be in favor of non-embryonic (sourced) stem cell research. In terms of promise, that is quite an optimistic position. In theory, stem cell based pharmaco-therapies could lead to treatment of certain degenerative conditions. That is a view, quite a long view, thru a pbc pipe. There are lots of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle still missing.

I would not jump on the wagon so soon. There are conditions of which we know etiologically a lot more, like diabetes, asthma, arthritis, among others; and we still don't have a cure or even truly effective treatments for them. Manufacturing "replacement" organs in a petri dish in the lab using stem cells as a source material is still Star trek material.

Um yes...from what I know on stem cell research ....which is limited... there are other ways and avenues and things have moved along from this is the only way. Neural crest stem cells might hold promise (they persist in adult hair follicles).

Some current research looking at whether stem cells are related to tumours and the application of neural stem cells

Neural crest stem cells - not guilty : article : Nature Reports Stem Cells

Long way to go yet. I'll leave out the latest rat experiment with transplanted neural crest stem cells to repair ummmm *vague look*...feel free to look it up *successful apparently*.

Edit to add on: I'm a bit vague because it was the rat's penile erectile dysfunction that they repaired. Decided it was false modesty on my behalf LOL...not fair to people with terminal illnesses that are looking for hope.

Edited by WANDERER

Hmmm. Lucky rat. I'm sure there were plenty of guys on that research team. ;)

To me it would only make sense that we could make the research legal again, provided all the new options. I think there's a lot of potential money for researching this kind of stuff...would help out the little college research groups right now.

I really like the nervous system therapies they're working on. I thought they were doing some stuff with people's severed spines in Europe??