Garments

Repentant1

I am a faithful garment wearer. I appreciate that the Church has made them so affordable, and with a wide selection of choices, but I really wish they would use higher quality fabrics. Considering their sacred nature, I would think they would want to.

Personally, I prefer the (men’s) cotton poly two piece garments with crew neck top. What I have a hard time with is that the tops begin to show their wear after only a few washes and they start to pill up around the collar, loose their shape and become unsightly. I wear an open neck dress shirt for work so my crew neck garment shows like any normal T-shirt would. I end up having to buy way more tops than bottoms, and I have a drawer full of tops that I have only worn like 4 or 5 times before they are unacceptable to wear except for just around the house.

If Haynes or Fruit of the Loom can make underwear that lasts and stays looking good so much longer, why can't the church provide higher quality garments? I would willing to pay a premium for top notch quality. Maybe I'm missing something, or not aware of better options currently available?

Anyway, who would I contact at Distribution Services to give my feedback and ask for them to make higher quality garments available for us to wear?

They recently did a survey in my ward about womens garments and our satisfaction with them actually I think they try their best to fit everyones needs. As far as "top notch" fabrics, they definitely would cost a higher price and that's fine if you're willing to pay more for them. Have you tried the other fabrics long enough to see if they'll wear out as soon as the ones you currently wear?

Yeah I use the cotton poly too but I have just the opposite problem. My bottoms get shredded pretty quick. The flies rip rather easily and the elastic doesn't stay very elastic for long. I do use the other type of top (not sure what it is called) rather then the crew neck. Maybe that is the difference but my tops stay good far longer.

They make cotton/poly for women too.

They aren't woven as densely as the mens are though. In the winter in the cold (50 degrees and lower) climates, the short sleeves of the mens adds a wee bit more coverage/protection/warmth than the womens skimpy cap sleeves.

susieSA- if you were to pay the US price and then add on postage would the price of your garmmies be about that price??

Figure the price of postage-UPS or equivalant- from say, 85222 zip code in AZ-USA.

Say if I were to get your garmmies here in the USA, then ship them to you- would you save any money??

Just buy more and they won't wear out as fast.

Also wash them by themselves. My DH, when he was single, washed his in with what ever else was dirty, like work jeans, work shirts. :eek: His lasted maybe 6 months. We have been married 4 years, and we haven't had to replace any. Oh, and DO NOT USE CHLORINE BLEACH. Use the all fabric/all color bleach.

Me, I have washed mine with the sheets. I wear the Drisilque. Two weeks worth barely make a half load! When I dry them I separate them from DH's cotton ones (mine dry in 10 min- his dry in 30). I also separated them from the sheets. I hated to have my garmmies get balled up in the corners of the fitted sheets.

In Oregon, I dried all of my clothes outside on the clothesline. I would hang up the garmmies, then the sheets. Then I would go and take all of my garmmies off the line- they were dry!

I wear the Drisilque.

Me too. I wash them with my "good" clothes and dry them on low heat. I have not needed to replace my nine year old garments, yet. I do, however, have 30 pair, a months worth, so do not need to launder them as frequently. I do not think cotton holds up as well, though. It has been my experience that it stains easier, and loses its shape faster.

They aren't woven as densely as the mens are though. In the winter in the cold (50 degrees and lower) climates, the short sleeves of the mens adds a wee bit more coverage/protection/warmth than the womens skimpy cap sleeves.

I'm hoping that during these type of climates you're wearing "a wee bit' more than just garments.

Guest bren1975

I am a faithful garment wearer. I appreciate that the Church has made them so affordable, and with a wide selection of choices, but I really wish they would use higher quality fabrics. Considering their sacred nature, I would think they would want to.

Personally, I prefer the (men’s) cotton poly two piece garments with crew neck top. What I have a hard time with is that the tops begin to show their wear after only a few washes and they start to pill up around the collar, loose their shape and become unsightly. I wear an open neck dress shirt for work so my crew neck garment shows like any normal T-shirt would. I end up having to buy way more tops than bottoms, and I have a drawer full of tops that I have only worn like 4 or 5 times before they are unacceptable to wear except for just around the house.

If Haynes or Fruit of the Loom can make underwear that lasts and stays looking good so much longer, why can't the church provide higher quality garments? I would willing to pay a premium for top notch quality. Maybe I'm missing something, or not aware of better options currently available?

Anyway, who would I contact at Distribution Services to give my feedback and ask for them to make higher quality garments available for us to wear?

Why not just wear the common scoop-neck style that doesn't show at the neck, and wear whatever T-shirt you like over it?

Edited by bren1975

Obviously, some hi-tech thermal garments with long sleeves are needed. Perhaps with a cell phone holder as well.

Ok so since when did they become garmies? That has to be the stupidest sounding word I have ever heard. If you have to abreviate don't be scared, go all the way and call them G's like most people.

Could be a variation in name usage, like some people say jammies for pajamas. Maybe it is a regional thing.

Hey Checkerboy, what's with the nasties?

When I first went to the temple 28 years ago the friend that went through with me called them that.

I love my garments and feel very special, surrounded in love, and protected when wearing them. Garmies is a term of endearment.

I've had the best luck with a material called "Corban." It feels kinda silky and is very thin. You can even see through it. I've found that in hot weather (It's been 105 here all this week) I feel much more comfortable. The only drawback is the top kinda sticks to your back if you get sweaty. It's been pretty durable though and has lasted well through many washes.

I've had the best luck with a material called "Corban." It feels kinda silky and is very thin. You can even see through it. I've found that in hot weather (It's been 105 here all this week) I feel much more comfortable. The only drawback is the top kinda sticks to your back if you get sweaty. It's been pretty durable though and has lasted well through many washes.

i can't do the corban tops...my tattoos show thru a white shirt if i have the corban G top