Oh Brother

AndrewCothran

The first time i visited a branch i was picked up by the son of a Mr Jester, when i was introduced to his father I greeted him as MR JESTER and he replied No ..its brother Jester we are all brothers here .

Even in my conversations with the state mission president he refered to me as Brother .

It does not make me feel uncomfortable in fact to the contrary its just a novel concept to me that they knowing that i am not one of them would refer to me as if i were a member of their family ..

I have always referred to someone older than me at church as brother or sister. My parents taught me that anyone older than me was to be call Mr or Mrs. or Ms. Always taught to respect those older than me.

Remember that all you young whipper snappers. I am 54

Ben Raines

You certainly posted this in the right place Mr. Raines.

Whipper snappers?!?!?!

OH BROTHER!!!! :-) :-)

Before I joined the Church, it did make me feel a little wierd. I think because I didn't truly understand what was meant by it. I thought it was just for members -- being brother and sisters in the same religion, if you will. Now I totally understand the meaning and love it!! I have a calling in primary and it does show respect and I love getting to church and having kids run up to me saying, Sister _____, guess what? It makes my week, day, year!! LOL!

I have always referred to someone older than me at church as brother or sister. My parents taught me that anyone older than me was to be call Mr or Mrs. or Ms. Always taught to respect those older than me.

Remember that all you young whipper snappers. I am 54

Ben Raines

You are the whipper snapper, Ben - I am 56! Only in Church did I address the members as Bro or Sis, no matter what age they were. It is amazing how much the children love to be called Sister Whatshername or Brother Whozit. When they are acting up and you address them in the more formal way, they tend to behave and stop fooling around. Always worked for us in Primary.

In public, then it was Mr.,Mrs. or Miss. Aunts & Uncles were never addressed by first name only - always with the Aunt or Uncle preceding their first name - Grandparents were addressed as Grandpa or Grandma.

When we were being silly, we would call our cousins - Cousin Jim or Cousin Katey - again no matter what age they were.

Guest SisterofJared

Boy Iggy you took all my fun. I was gonna tell everyone that I was the old one here. Then you posted, and I see you're right. You are the oldest. You are in fact, older that dirt, and trees and rocks. I'm glad I'm not that old.

I'm only 55. A youngster compared to you!

:)

SoJ

Edited by SisterofJared
fix my spelling. I spelled Iggy UIggy. Sorry, Iggs!

I call everybody Sister/Brother ____insert first name here_____.

We tend to do that in our small ward. Only the old ones (70 and up) do I refer to their last name instead of their first!

Sister Beth, Brother Tom...etc. Besides, with all the inbreeding, too many people have the same last name. :eek:

Seriously though, there are too many with the same last name. Sister Jones...which one? Brother Thompson...which one?

Guest SisterofJared

It's cuz you're a southern belle, Grits!

A lot of people from the southeast use "Miss". Not at church, but just for neighbors or whatever. Anyway I've known several. They say "Miss Kathy" or "Mr. Steve". Kinda formal, kinda relaxed. I like it.

So what do you do if you have two Brother Tom's? LOL

SoJ

Boy Iggy you took all my fun. I was gonna tell everyone that I was the old one here. Then you posted, and I see you're right. You are the oldest. You are in fact, older that dirt, and trees and rocks. I'm glad I'm not that old.

I'm only 55. A youngster compared to you!

:)

SoJ

Yep you lil whipper snapper you - :P

My older sister turns 60 on Tues - so if I am older than dirt- she must be older than dust!:lol: My older brother turned 64- he has been older than dirt ever since he turned 50! I may be old- but these siblings will ALWAYS be older than me -:D

I call everybody Sister/Brother ____insert first name here_____.

We tend to do that in our small ward. Only the old ones (70 and up) do I refer to their last name instead of their first!

Sister Beth, Brother Tom...etc. Besides, with all the inbreeding, too many people have the same last name. :eek:

Seriously though, there are too many with the same last name. Sister Jones...which one? Brother Thompson...which one?

I used to have a Sunday School teacher who did that. He was trying to go back to the days/ways of "Brother Brigham" and "Brother Joseph" and "Brother Parley."

Guest SisterofJared

Well, I like it. I'm gonna see if I can start a new trend here. I'm in the Pacific NW, the far side of the country.... can I get a southern tradition going here?

We'll find out. Starting tomorrow, I'm gonna address everyone with Brother or Sister and their first names. Let's see if I can get it to take hold!

Just for fun!

SoJ

Well, I like it. I'm gonna see if I can start a new trend here. I'm in the Pacific NW, the far side of the country.... can I get a southern tradition going here?

We'll find out. Starting tomorrow, I'm gonna address everyone with Brother or Sister and their first names. Let's see if I can get it to take hold!

Just for fun!

SoJ

My Sister meets at the North Seattle Stake House - I can't remember if she is in the 3rd, 5th or 7th ward - which ever one is the "Newly Wed & Nearly Dead" ward - which ward are you in?

Guest SisterofJared

Iggy, Actually I am in the Seattle metro area, not in the Seattle stake at all.

But the Seattle temple is my temple here. Only I don't know why we call it the Seattle temple. Cuz it's in Bellvue.

SoJ