Explain the sacrament hour

I have been attending the church for awhile now, but somewhat still confused about the 1rst hour during sacrament etc.. Is this 1rst hour more for news about the church, testimonies, etc? Most of the time when I hear people speak, do I rarely hear them bring up the bible, at least not as much as quotes from past presidents or from the bom. What is the main purpose for the 1rst hour?remember i came from a baptist church where yoy either had your Sunday School lesson in hour 1 ,then the sermon in hour 2 or vise versa.. is the bible scriptures suppose to be later on in other blocks?I know in the gospel class we're on the disscusion the the book of mormon & in RS it is Joseph Smith.

Edited by Palerider

Sacrament meeting is where some ward news and programs are announced before the meeting begins with a hymn and opening prayer. The main purpose of the meeting is for the members to strengthen each other with prepared talks depending on the theme that day/month (repentance, charity, the Savior, etc). The first Sunday of each month is reserved for testimony meeting, where the hour is spent by allowing all members to come to the podium to share faith building/strengthening experiences. The most important part of sacrament meeting is partaking the sacrament (bread and water), which is an ordinance where members renew their baptismal covenants with a focus of renewed strength with each coming week. Hope this clears up your question a bit.

it is understood, thanks. You see I have 4 children & try to make it to the first hour on time, but if anyone who has 4 children between ages of 4months to 9 yrs then running a little behind happens. I always sat there trying to figure out when they were going to give the message from the bible , where in reality later meetings either in 2nd hour or R.S. it comes.:) Right now we just moved to Colorado from Texas so this Sunday I found a ward that meets close to us ,but is not the assigned ward, that is over an hour away. the LDS ward locator said that this one was the closet meeting house, so we'll see how it goes.

The importance of Sacrament Meeting is the sacrament. All the talks and announcements are really only side-items which pale in comparison to the importance, holiness, and sacredness of the Lord's Supper. This holy ordinance was instituted by the Saviour Himself among His disciples on the night of His prayer in Gethsemane before the day of His crucifixion.

It symbolizes the breaking of his body with the breaking of bread and the spilling of his blood with the wine or water. The partaking of these things demonstrate our acknowledgement of His Great Sacrifice and our willingness to take upon us the yoke of Jesus. It is a time of repentance and reflection not availed in any other ordinance and is to be the centerpiece in the habitual ritual worship of Christ in our lives.

We are instructed to bring our families together to sit in reflection of the Sacrifice of the Saviour and partake of His flesh and blood in this symbolic manner as often as weekly. It is a very biblical ordinance and I often read of it and the actual events of the crucifixion and prayer in Gethsemane while I partake of the Sacrament.

If we do not make this ordinance the reason for coming to the chapel on Sunday, we are going to miss out on the greatest blessings offered in so coming.

-a-train

Hi EveservantofGod,

I understand your question and confusion. I too was Baptist before becoming a member of the church.

I've been a member for over 30 years now and STILL don't like the sacrament meeting first! Agreed that when running a little late with all of the kids it causes more anxiety when you have to walk in to the main meeting disturbing the meeting already in progress.

Actually the Bishop of each ward has the option of whether to have sacrament first or last. Trying to understand or figure out what is going on by your experience in the Baptist church is what is confusing. You have to realize that the sacrament meeting is not the same as the Baptist worship hour or "preaching" as we called it. Even though the Lord's Supper, as the Baptist call it, and the sacrament seem the same, they are understood in a totally different way. It took me YEARS AND YEARS to realize that the partaking of the sacrament is actually a recommitment to follow Christ as we promised to do at our baptism. As we say amen, and take of the bread and water we have the opportunity to repent of sins of that week, repent, and be made as clean as we were on our baptism day. Of course this has to be done with a pure and honest heart while truly trying to overcome whatever temptations or problems that cause us to sin. SO, this is what is considered the most important meeting of the week. Baptist have "revival" twice a year if i remember correctly, LDS'S have revival each week! When i finally grasped the important and meaning of the sacrament it was truly liberating, and joyous! This is what gives us the opportunity to truly become better and better each week, month, year! Then after we are refreshed and renewed we get to go to Sunday school and Relief Society to learn adn strengthen ourselves for the battle that will resume as we return to our daily lives. This is why it is so important for us to try to be at sacrament each week!

Hope this Baptist to Baptist chat has helped a little. :pope:

Partaking of the Sacrament is what the first hour and 15 minutes is all about.

We have no readings from the Bible as some other Churches do, we have no Sermon given by the preacher.

We start with announcments and then sing a hymn and have an opening prayer. We then handle any ward business and then prepare for the sacrament(sing a hymn, while the sacrament is prepared, bless and pass the bread and water)the sacrament is meant to renew our Covenants with the Lord. After the sacrament selected people wll give talks on a gospel topic selected and assigned in advance. we then close with another hymn and a prayer.

Edited by mnn727

I've been a member for over 30 years now and STILL don't like the sacrament meeting first! Agreed that when running a little late with all of the kids it causes more anxiety when you have to walk in to the main meeting disturbing the meeting already in progress.

Try coming into sacrament meeting early. Just because it starts at a certain time, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be there at the precise time, you can be early.

If you plan on being there 20 minutes early, the little things that always come up with kids won't delay you. Once you get to the church, you can find a way to help out. We are usually at the ward 30 minutes early and that means the kids can help hand out the hymnals. My nephew can help greet people at the door when they come in, etc. It's also time for reflection before the sacrament starts. If you are rushing to get in, it can be hard to reflect on the solemn nature of the sacrament.

Try coming into sacrament meeting early. Just because it starts at a certain time, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to be there at the precise time, you can be early.

If you plan on being there 20 minutes early, the little things that always come up with kids won't delay you. Once you get to the church, you can find a way to help out. We are usually at the ward 30 minutes early and that means the kids can help hand out the hymnals. My nephew can help greet people at the door when they come in, etc. It's also time for reflection before the sacrament starts. If you are rushing to get in, it can be hard to reflect on the solemn nature of the sacrament.

Agreed this is a good idea and should be the goal. BUT, with kids you never know what is going to happen each week. Especially when we recognize that the only one we truly have control over is ourselves! Whether an active couple is taking their family to church or a single mother, the woman is usually the one who is the main person assisting and directing the kids in getting ready. And truly hard when it is a single mother, or one who doesn't have the support of her husband.

My kids are grown and I'm usually there at least 15 minutes before the meeting begins. This is also because our meeting begins at 10:00. If it were at 9:00 I think I would still have problems even without any kids!:rolleyes:

Exactly, when you've got kids, you got to be prepared. If your goal is arriving at sacrament meeting at 10am, then any delays and you won't make it on time, or you will be in too much of a rush. How much better to set a goal of 940 and trying your best to make it by 940 every Sunday. A little delay won't make you late. It allows parents to budget in time on Sunday morning for such things as slow eating kids, lost socks, kids that don't want to wake up, etc.

I dont know how long I would be a member if the Biship was the only one speaking its boring watching one person strenghten there religious faith and everyone else just watch , the church is ran by the members we all have a very important part in the church. I was part of a Baptist church and it was scary maybe not yours but mine made me afraid of God .

I dont know how long I would be a member if the Biship was the only one speaking its boring watching one person strenghten there religious faith and everyone else just watch , the church is ran by the members we all have a very important part in the church. I was part of a Baptist church and it was scary maybe not yours but mine made me afraid of God .

HaHA

Yes, when I went to the Baptist church the preacher would "preach" for about 45 minutes.

Before that of course we would sing, have a prayer, and of course pass the contribution plate around. WE had the "Lord's Supper" about twice a year.

During the preaching, the paster would get on a roll and actually yell most of the time. Yeah we also heard that we would go to hell and burn in brimstone and the lake of fire if we weren't "saved". WE also heard all those who had not gotten baptized would go to hell. That included people in other countries that had never heard or had the opportunity to hear the gospel. I don't think I ever felt scared of God, but I didn't understand why people would go to the ever lasting burning of hell if they hadn't had the opportunity to hear the Gospel.

I sure was glad to know, once I had a testimony of the restored gospel that our loving Heavenly Father wouldn't do that! That wouldn't be fair now would it?

• 4 weeks later...

The word "Sacrament" is used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to refer almost exclusively to the Lord's Supper. The English word "Sacrament" derives from the Old French sacrement by way of Middle English; the Old French noun in turn is based on the Latin sacramentum, which denotes a sum deposited by the two parties to a suit (so named probably from being deposited in a sacred place) binding an agreement, oath of allegiance, or obligation. Though the word never occurs in the Bible, the Sacrament has come to have a major role in the practices of nearly all Christian denominations. In traditional Catholic and Protestant Christianity, the "Sacrament of the Lord's Supper" is regarded as one of a group of sacraments, whose purpose is to serve both as conveyors of God's grace and as the outward signs that such grace has been bestowed. The definition of seven sacraments for the Roman Catholic church came at the Fourth Lateran Council, convened by Pope Innocent III in 1215. Protestant reformers, while rejecting most of the sacramental doctrines of the medieval church, retained the notion of sacraments with respect to baptism and the Eucharist.

In Latter-day Saint usage, Sacrament designates that ordinance instituted by Jesus Christ as a means by which worthy Saints may renew their covenants with their Redeemer and with God the Father (cf. Mosiah 18:8-10; JC, pp. 596-97; AF, p. 175). On the Eve of his trial and crucifixion in Jerusalem and surrounded by his closest associates, the Twelve apostles, Jesus took bread, which he blessed and broke and then gave to them, saying, "Take, eat; this is my body." Jesus likewise took the cup, blessed it, and then gave it to them, "Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins" (Matt. 26:26-28). The Book of Mormon records that the resurrected Jesus instituted this same ordinance in memory of his body and blood as he showed himself to the righteous of the Western Hemisphere after his ascension from Jerusalem (3 Ne. 18:7; 20:3; 26:13).

Paul notes that the Savior gave a commandment to perform this ordinance regularly, "As often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew [i.e., testify of] the Lord's death till he come" (1 Cor. 11:26). The New Testament indicates that the injunction was observed in the early Christian Church (cf. Acts 2:42; 20:7). To the Saints at Corinth, Paul wrote in plainness of the simple ordinance which he had received from the Lord, stressing that it was done "in remembrance of [Jesus Christ]" (1 Cor. 11:19-26; cf. Luke 22:19; 3 Ne. 18:7).

The time and setting chosen by Jesus for administering the Sacrament among his Jerusalem disciples tie this ordinance to the older observances of the Passover, including the bread and wine he used, and to which he gave new symbolism (Matt. 26:26-28; Luke 22:15-20). Through his Atonement Christ fulfilled the purpose of the ordinance of animal sacrifice found in the Old Testament, which was to prefigure the ultimate sacrifice of the Son of God. The new ordinance replaced the need for animal sacrifice with the sacrifice on the part of Christ's followers of a broken heart and contrite spirit (3 Ne. 9:18-20).

The sermon that Jesus delivered on the topic of the "bread of life" in the Gospel of John draws on the symbolism of the Lord himself as "the living bread which came down from heaven." It also prefigures the ordinance of the Sacrament that he initiated later as a reminder to all that salvation comes only through "the living bread" and the "living water" (cf. John 6:48-58). In the postapostolic age, however, theologians transformed the symbolic nature of the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper into the dogma of transubstantiation, thereby introducing the notion that those who partake of the bread and wine miraculously ingest the literal body and blood of Christ, although the outward appearance of the emblems (i.e., the accidentals) remain the same. The LDS Church rejects this dogma and holds that the Sacrament is to help the Saints remember Jesus and that the transformation envisioned is a renovation of the human soul by the Spirit (D&C 20:75-79).

The Sacrament in LDS belief does not serve primarily as a means of securing remission of sins. It does, however, focus attention on the sacrifice for sin wrought by the Savior and on the need for all those who have been baptized to maintain their lives constantly in harmony with his teachings and commandments. For this reason, there are numerous scriptural injunctions concerning the need for compliance with God's commandments by those who partake of the Sacrament (1 Cor. 11:22-23; 3 Ne. 18:28-29; D&C 46:4). Unbaptized children, however, being without sin, are entitled and expected to partake of the Sacrament to prefigure the covenant they themselves will make at the age of accountability, age eight (see Children: Salvation of Children). In administering the Sacrament, Christ himself used emblems readily at hand at the Last Supper-bread and wine. To Joseph Smith the Lord declared "that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the Sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory-remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins" (D&C 27:2). In typical LDS practice, bread and water are used.

The ordinance of the Sacrament is administered by "those having authority"-that is, by priesthood bearers. According to modern revelation, priests in the Aaronic Priesthood and any Melchizedek Priesthood holder may officiate at the Sacrament table; in general practice, the table is prepared by teachers in the Aaronic Priesthood, and the bread and water are blessed by priests and passed to the members of the Church by deacons in the same priesthood.

The prayers spoken over these emblems are among the few that are scripturally prescribed exactly. Those who partake of the Sacrament place themselves under covenant with the Lord to take upon them the name of Christ, to always remember him, and to keep his commandments. The Lord in turn covenants that they may always have his Spirit to be with them (D&C 20: 75-79; Moro. 4-5; John 6:54).

[see also Atonement; Communion; Last Supper.]

Reference: Encyclopedia of Mormonism (D. Ludlow)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been attending the church for awhile now, but somewhat still confused about the 1rst hour during sacrament etc.. Is this 1rst hour more for news about the church, testimonies, etc? Most of the time when I hear people speak, do I rarely hear them bring up the bible, at least not as much as quotes from past presidents or from the bom. What is the main purpose for the 1rst hour?remember i came from a baptist church where yoy either had your Sunday School lesson in hour 1 ,then the sermon in hour 2 or vise versa.. is the bible scriptures suppose to be later on in other blocks?I know in the gospel class we're on the disscusion the the book of mormon & in RS it is Joseph Smith.

Moroni 6

[6] And they did meet together oft to partake of bread and wine, in remembrance of the Lord Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I came from a Calvinist background, I do miss a sermon.:( Is that why there is Sunday School?:confused:

Wished there was more singing though. Enjoy worship and hymns. :cool:

Is there ever contemporary worship in any church? Some of the praise songs today speak as well as most of the hymns, besides I don't have anything against guitars either.:D:cool: Doesn't Psalm 150 encourage this?

Partaking of the Sacrament is what the first hour and 15 minutes is all about.

We have no readings from the Bible as some other Churches do, we have no Sermon given by the preacher.

We start with announcements and then sing a hymn and have an opening prayer. We then handle any ward business and then prepare for the sacrament(sing a hymn, while the sacrament is prepared, bless and pass the bread and water)the sacrament is meant to renew our Covenants with the Lord. After the sacrament selected people will give talks on a gospel topic selected and assigned in advance. we then close with another hymn and a prayer.

The first hour is for the sacrament,

as far as more worship in sacrament, the purpose is not to entertain you, I came from a pentecostal church and it was more like a rock / R+B concert, this really distracts from the importance of why you are there. I know that there are many sincere people and that thier worship is sincere and that through it you can really feel the spirit burn inside of you. If you enjoy singing and are good at it (GNews) I would ecourage you to make a CD, and network with other LDS artist to make it more mainstream, it would definitely be a good missionary tool.

as for the talks and the Bible, the speakers are chosen by the bishop a week or two in advance, I think there are many purposes for this, One is that it gives members an opportunity for practicing public speaking, after talking to a loud group its easier to talk to people one on one. Two it makes for a lack of opportunity for corruption, one single person speaking all the time can really lead people astry, Three it makes the person study on a specific topic, usually something meaningful to them. I dont know why more people dont use the Bible though, maybe its because they are trying to be well rounded and we have many more references than other preachers/demoninations

As far as sermons, I heard one pastor for about 15 years straight, it was always different but usually about money or going to hell, after those 15+ years I could tell he was full of it and could tell what he would say next, and dont get me into his "speaking in tongues"

and for the lessons we rotate through scriptures and prophets in the different blocks. I think that the entire Church is in the same lesson every week no matter the language or location, I also think that we are studying the topics / scriptures given at the times that they are for a reason that we may not know or uderstand at the time being but that we are preparing for future events as a whole.

I wish there was a Bible discussion forum on here, HEY MODERATORS WHOEVER READS THIS CONSIDER IT A REQUEST.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't the D&C state that the Sacrament should be done in meekness and humility? Is that why it is ( Pardon the expression.) "low-key"? However, I have been in a choir and do some solos also. It's a gift from God to me. When the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings on tv, I enjoy every minute of it.:cool:

The first hour is for the sacrament,

as far as more worship in sacrament, the purpose is not to entertain you, I came from a pentecostal church and it was more like a rock / R+B concert, this really distracts from the importance of why you are there. I know that there are many sincere people and that their worship is sincere and that through it you can really feel the spirit burn inside of you. If you enjoy singing and are good at it (News) I would encourage you to make a CD, and network with other LDS artist to make it more mainstream, it would definitely be a good missionary tool.

I found that out my second week.:D I wondered why there was just nothing more that testimonies the first week I went ( It was also the first week of the month.):D

as for the talks and the Bible, the speakers are chosen by the bishop a week or two in advance, I think there are many purposes for this, One is that it gives members an opportunity for practicing public speaking, after talking to a loud group its easier to talk to people one on one. Two it makes for a lack of opportunity for corruption, one single person speaking all the time can really lead people astray, Three it makes the person study on a specific topic, usually something meaningful to them. I don't know why more people don't use the Bible though, maybe its because they are trying to be well rounded and we have many more references than other preachers/denominations

I understand fully. I used to go to a Full Gospel church that has the "health and wealth" message in it. Now were is such a thing in the Bible?:rolleyes:

As far as sermons, I heard one pastor for about 15 years straight, it was always different but usually about money or going to hell, after those 15+ years I could tell he was full of it and could tell what he would say next, and don't get me into his "speaking in tongues"