Tithing and blessing the poor

Traveler

The way you phrase that makes it sound like activity, callings, and tithing are required to receive welfare assistance from the Church. I just want to clarify that this isn't true. In fact, you don't even have to be a member or the Church to receive assistance from it's welfare services.

Oh sure, and I didn't mean to make it sound like that. I apologize. The Church has several efforts that help everyone, not just members. What I'm talking about are the blessings that come to full tithe payers that need genuine help.

When someone offers help and we say "no we're fine" aren't we saying no to a blessing from the Lord? (This is something I struggle with. I have a hard time letting other people help me.)

I also have a hard time accepting help from others, or even letting others know when I need it. But when we tell people we don't need the help they're offering, we are also denying that person the blessings they will receive by serving us.

Another good point that was brought up in my parents ward the other day is that when we don't pay our tithing because we can't afford it, we're basically saying that we don't trust our Heavenly Father to take care of us. With all the He gives us and as much as He loves us, why wouldn't he take care of us? As long as we're doing our part anyway.

Tithing is not a concept thought up by LDS....it is of God.

It is something that has been asked of all who believe. It is all through the Scriptures.

All religions claim their principles are from God and not thought up by man. While it is true that all Christians religions have a concept of tithing, the LDS church is the only one I have ever heard recommend everyone tithe regardless of their situation.

I know my mother sometimes emptied her purse into the collection bag at church...

That petrol to get to or home from church was sometimes a bit of a hope factor

and that sometimes attending church without having money for the collection wasn't done when it was being preached quite a bit.

You'd be surprised how many people WILL give you petrol from their petrol tank...but sometimes we left the car and walked for several hours home. Mostly we were blessed and the car wasn't trashed...how's that for a faith promoting story? Oh the car...my peer mortification was hoping no one noticed the burn marks on the bonnet from the engine catching on fire...LOL....which it did so regularly it hardly rated.

my mother believed the first commandment was to go to church. I'm not even dressing this story up...it REALLY happened.

I'd like to think faith can be promoted in other ways. So yes, I can understand why some bishops might not require people to tithe.

I gather bishops know a lot more about their church members than my pastor ever did.

Edited by WANDERER

All religions claim their principles are from God and not thought up by man. While it is true that all Christians religions have a concept of tithing, the LDS church is the only one I have ever heard recommend everyone tithe regardless of their situation.

In the past the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches did (along with many other Christian denminations)- the Anglican Church in England recommended tithing right up until the 1950s no matter how wealthy you were.

It is also part of my testimoney of why despite the wealth of the church, tithing should continue, The Anglican church up until that point was incredibly wealthy, now with several poor financial decisions including banks going bankrupt etc it can barely afford to keep its clergy, its buildings are cold, full of bats etc No major works is done on buildings without major charity efforts

I personally appreciate meeting in a church which gets maintained as needed, I appreciate my youth being able to go to camp etc I can see where a good portion of my tithing goes, I appreciate the beauty of the temple etc. I like being able to buy cheap food

If I was paying my tithing and not seeing where it was going I may have issues, but I benefit greatly from having a chapel that can accomadate my family just 10 miles away.

-Charley

I remember some years ago on another forum, one of the Bishops posting stated that tithing need not be paid out of SSI and Aid to Families with Dependent Children money, nor are Food Stamp to be considered an increase. However, those in these categories can still contribute, although they should not be held to any strict dollar amount.

I can't remember all the reasons he said this was so, but I do remember they made sense.

Well we've had former Bishops on here state that those monies are still an increase and tithing should be paid. All you can do is listen to what your own individual Bishop tells you as they have the stewardship over you.

I have always been taught and always taught others....you pay on your increase....I have seen several over the years come in and say they were having a hard time and going to stop paying tithing until things got better. I told them they wouold have a hard time getting things straight when they stop paying. They stopped paying and things got worse for them instead of better. You have to remember....Tithing and the Word of Wisdom have something in common.....you only gain a testimony of them while living those principles.....

The point I tried to make is that it is good to give offerings to G-d - even for the poor. Something else I find interesting - the poor of our society today would be considered wealthy by the standards that existed in the days of Christ.

The Traveler

The point I tried to make is that it is good to give offerings to G-d - even for the poor. Something else I find interesting - the poor of our society today would be considered wealthy by the standards that existed in the days of Christ.

The Traveler

And the poor in my society would be considered wealthy by the standards of some in the US even - it is relative to where you live. And even within the UK the poor in my area are very wealthy in comparison to some in major city, we have many homeless but none who need to be roofless for more than a night

I have been very poor by my areas standards but I have never been as poor as most people who live or do live on the Earth

-Charley