Was Jesus a Buddhist?

bodhigirlsmiles

jesus was a jew, to be sure, but could he have espoused buddhist philosophies as well?

the following issues may support the view that jesus was like a buddhist:

1. jesus had expounded his doctrine of patience, non-violence and compassion which was seemingly an opposite view to that of the god according to the old testament. jesus preached and asked his followers to turn the other cheek when somebody slapped you, whist an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth in the mosaic law clearly denoted retaliation and vengeance which were regarded as justice.

2. in the revelation of st john, a christian scripture written down in greek in the eastern mediterranean, it refers to a book closely sealed with seven seals. st john weeps bitterly because he sees no one worthy to open the book and to break its seals. this can be done by the lamb of god alone, slaughtered in sacrifice. there is a similar book in mahayana buddhism, the perfection of wisdom sealed with seven seals, written in sanskrit in south india. the book has 8000 lines and in chapters 30 and 31 it describes in detail how everweeping bodhisattva slaughtered himself in sacrifice, and how he thereby became worthy of the perfection of wisdom. this parallel is remarkable not only for the similarities of the religious logic, but also for the fact that both have seven seals. coincidence you say? perhaps.

3. a parable from the gospels, the teachings or revelations of jesus christ, (matthew 13, 1-23; mark 4, 1-20; luke 8, 4-15) has a striking similarity to that of the buddha’s teachings. people hear my words: a farmer goes to sow his fields. the birds come and eat the seeds. other seed falls on the path. and behold, some seed falls on the rock where there is no earth, and withers away. some falls under the thorns and cannot grow. the seed that falls on good earth, however, sprouts and brings forth fruit. the farmer is jesus and the seeds are his words of wisdom. the seeds which are eaten by the birds means people who do not understand the words. the seeds that falls onto the rocks are the words of wisdom that go in one ear and come out of the other. the seeds that land under the thorns means those who hear and see, but do not act accordingly. the seeds which land on the good earth means those that hear the words of wisdom and act accordingly. the buddha taught the same thing.

4. jesus life-history between the ages of 13-30 is missing. it is explained that jesus was attending to his father’s livelihood during that period which seemed to be unlikely. jesus was a wise and an active child and was given a high place in a temple before that missing-period. why did he have to be in a low profile at the most active period of one’s lifetime ?

5. an account of jesus’ expedition to tibet and his subsequent practice of samatha meditation was described by scholars. he was supposed to have obtained supernatural powers (jhana and abhina) and went back to palestine to teach his skills.

6. both went to their temples at the age of twelve, where they are said to have astonished all with their wisdom.

7. both fasted in solitude for a long time: buddha for forty-seven days and jesus for forty.

8. at the conclusion of their fasts, they both wandered to a fig tree.

9. both were about the same age when they began their public ministry:

10. both were tempted by the "devil" at the beginning of their ministry:

to buddha, he said: "go not forth to adopt a religious life but return to your kingdom, and in seven days you shall become emperor of the world, riding over the four continents."

to jesus, he said: "all these [kingdoms of the world] i will give you, if you fall down and worship me."

buddha answered the "devil": "get you away from me."

jesus responded: "...begone, Satan!"

11. both experienced the "supernatural" after the "devil" left:

for buddha: "the skies rained flowers, and delicious odors prevailed [in] the air."

for jesus: "angels came and ministered to him."

12. the multitudes required a sign from both in order that they might believe.

13. both strove to establish a kingdom of heaven on earth.

14. buddha "represented himself as a mere link in a long chain of enlightened teachers."

Jesus said: "think not that i have come to abolish the law, and the prophets; i have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them."

15. according to the somadeva, a buddhist ascetic's eye once offended him, so he plucked it out and cast it away.

jesus said: "if your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out, and throw it away;"

16. "buddha taught that the motive of all our actions should be pity or love of our neighbor."

jesus taught: "...love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

17. buddha said: "hide your good deeds, and confess before the world the sins you have committed."

jesus said: "beware of practicing your piety before men to be seen by them;" and "therefore confess your sins one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed..."

18. both are said to have known the thoughts of others:

"by directing his mind to the thoughts of others, [buddha] can know the thoughts of all beings."

"but jesus, knowing their thoughts, said: `why do you think evil in your hearts?' "

19. after "healing" a man born blind, buddha said: "the disease of this man originates in his sinful actions in former times."

"as [jesus] passed by, he saw a man blind from his birth. and his disciples said to him: `rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?'"

20. both were itinerant preachers with a close group of trustees within a larger group of disciples.

21. both demanded that their disciples renounce all worldly possessions.

"the number of the disciples rapidly increased, and gautama sent forth his monks on missionary tours hither and thither, bidding them wander everywhere, preaching the doctrine, and teaching men to order their lives with self--restraint, simplicity, and charity."

"and [jesus] called to him the twelve [apostles], and began to send them out two by two. so they went out and preached that men should repent."

22. both had a disciple who "walked" on water:

to convert skeptical villagers, buddha showed them his disciple walking across a river without sinking.

"he said: `come.' so peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to jesus, but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out: `lord, save me!' "

"one day ananda, the disciple of buddha, after a long walk in the country, meets with matangi, a woman of the low caste of the kandalas, near a well, and asks her for some water. she tells him what she is, and that she must not come near him. but he replies: `my sister, i ask not for your caste or your family, i ask only for a drought of water. she afterwards became a disciple of buddha."

"there came a woman of samaria to draw water. jesus said to her: `give me a drink.' for his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. the samaritan woman said to him: `how is it that you, a jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of samaria?' for jews have no dealings with samaritans."

23. each repeated a question three times:

"the buddha next addressed the bhikkhus and requested them three times to ask him if they had any doubt or question that they wished clarified, but they all remained silent."

"[jesus] said to him the third time: `simon, son of john, do you love me?' peter was grieved because he said to him the third time: `do you love me?'"

24. both received similar receptions:

"the people swept the pathway, the gods strewed flowers on the pathway and branches of the coral tree, the men bore branches of all manner of trees, and the bodhisattva sumedha spread his garments in the mire, [and] men and gods shouted: `all hail.' "

"and they brought the colt to jesus, and threw their garments on it; and he sat on it. and many spread their garments on the road, and others spread leafy branches which they had cut from the fields."

i am not trying to say that jesus was actually the buddha! i just think it is remarkable how much commonality we share. christianity is certainly a beautiful religion with much in common with my own buddhism, no matter if it is a coincidence. may you all find peace this day and always.

I have read, that under the patronage of a wealthy Indian Prince, Buddhists sent out missionaries to many parts of the world. Unlike today's missionaries trying to convert people to a totally new religion, these early Buddhist missionaries taught the teachings of Buddha, but let the locals adapt them into their native belief system. As I understand it, they traveled to diverse places like Tibet, Jakarta, the fertile crescent and beyond. It is thought by some that the teachings of Buddha also reached the Essene sect in ancient Israel.

I have read, that under the patronage of a wealthy Indian Prince, Buddhists sent out missionaries to many parts of the world. Unlike today's missionaries trying to convert people to a totally new religion, these early Buddhist missionaries taught the teachings of Buddha, but let the locals adapt them into their native belief system. As I understand it, they traveled to diverse places like Tibet, Jakarta, the fertile crescent and beyond. It is thought by some that the teachings of Buddha also reached the Essene sect in ancient Israel.

i have heard that as well. it is interesting to note that the buddha (gautama) did not want anyone to worship him or think of him as a god in any way. in fact, he became quite irritated when people tried to do that within his lifetime. he simply discovered a set of guidelines for living that he felt would benefit mankind and spend the next 45 years sharing them with others.

*ALERT INTERESTING HISTORICAL BLURB NOT ACTUALLY ON TOPIC******

Do yah know that Asoka, one of the first Indian kings to convert to Buddhism issued a proclamation in the area of modern day Kandahar that was printed in Greek and Indian?!??!?!?!? At the time a Greek kingdom had broken away from Seleucid Empire (If any of you know of Antiochus Epiphanes he was the one who persecuted the Jews to the point where they rebelled and formed the Macabee dyansty) and formed their own Greco-Indian kingdom on what is modern day Afghanistan?

Jesus was a Jew, but what he taught was love and righteousness. He didn't really Christianity very much, and often told people to keep hushed about who he was. (Matthew 16, Peter calls Jesus the Christ, and Jesus tells he and the disciples not to tell anyone.)

Siddhartha was a wise, caring and righteous* man. There are many people of all beliefs who believe in peace, giving, etc. (It's just that most of us don't have religions come up after us.)

God gives good and right understanding to people from any and all backgrounds and beliefs. That there are similarities in teachings is nothing particular. Almost all religions teach goodness and peace, the greatest teacher of otherwise is secular society that chases economic success.

The fundamental difference between what Jesus taught/Christians believe and Buddhism and other religions is that Christianity gives an answer/solution to how we relate to God.

*I do not in the same context as the Christian idea of righteousness.

which is to say....a lot! i think they both have so many beautiful things in common. i realize that there is much buddhism lacks that christianity espouses, and vice versa, but it is food for thought at any rate.

I agree completely. Budda was a wise teacher and must have been guided by God, for the benefit of all mankind. Just like any other Prophet. Was Jesus a student of Buddhism? Maybe. As well as being the Son of God, he was also a wise man. Would it not be wise to seek out the teachings of other wise men and Prophets? I would not be surprised if he did.

I have alot of love for my fellow seekers of wisdom in the Buddist faith and will always listen to good lessons, that further my own understanding of my Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. Lessons that will one day, give me a small measure of the great wisdom the Budda and other Prophets had.

Thank you for your wonderful post. Im sure you will have helped some of us gain in our search of that wisdom.

If Adam and Eve were truly our first parents, and the instructions that they received from God was passed down to their posterity, it stands to reason that there are many similarities between different religions. Perhaps philosophies became varied after the confusion of tongues at the tower of Babel incident.

My thoughts exactly.

It is not Jesus who pilfered teachings of Buddah, if there are similarities, but Buddah who used teachings of Jehova.

jesus was a jew, to be sure, but could he have espoused buddhist philosophies as well?

1. jesus had expounded his doctrine of patience, non-violence and compassion which was seemingly an opposite view to that of the god according to the old testament. jesus preached and asked his followers to turn the other cheek when somebody slapped you, whist an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth in the mosaic law clearly denoted retaliation and vengeance which were regarded as justice.

2. in the revelation of st john, a christian scripture written down in greek in the eastern mediterranean, it refers to a book closely sealed with seven seals. st john weeps bitterly because he sees no one worthy to open the book and to break its seals. this can be done by the lamb of god alone, slaughtered in sacrifice. there is a similar book in mahayana buddhism, the perfection of wisdom sealed with seven seals, written in sanskrit in south india. the book has 8000 lines and in chapters 30 and 31 it describes in detail how everweeping bodhisattva slaughtered himself in sacrifice, and how he thereby became worthy of the perfection of wisdom. this parallel is remarkable not only for the similarities of the religious logic, but also for the fact that both have seven seals. coincidence you say? perhaps.

3. a parable from the gospels, the teachings or revelations of jesus christ, (matthew 13, 1-23; mark 4, 1-20; luke 8, 4-15) has a striking similarity to that of the buddha’s teachings. people hear my words: a farmer goes to sow his fields. the birds come and eat the seeds. other seed falls on the path. and behold, some seed falls on the rock where there is no earth, and withers away. some falls under the thorns and cannot grow. the seed that falls on good earth, however, sprouts and brings forth fruit. the farmer is jesus and the seeds are his words of wisdom. the seeds which are eaten by the birds means people who do not understand the words. the seeds that falls onto the rocks are the words of wisdom that go in one ear and come out of the other. the seeds that land under the thorns means those who hear and see, but do not act accordingly. the seeds which land on the good earth means those that hear the words of wisdom and act accordingly. the buddha taught the same thing.

4. jesus life-history between the ages of 13-30 is missing. it is explained that jesus was attending to his father’s livelihood during that period which seemed to be unlikely. jesus was a wise and an active child and was given a high place in a temple before that missing-period. why did he have to be in a low profile at the most active period of one’s lifetime ?

5. an account of jesus’ expedition to tibet and his subsequent practice of samatha meditation was described by scholars. he was supposed to have obtained supernatural powers (jhana and abhina) and went back to palestine to teach his skills.

6. both went to their temples at the age of twelve, where they are said to have astonished all with their wisdom.

7. both fasted in solitude for a long time: buddha for forty-seven days and jesus for forty.

to buddha, he said: "go not forth to adopt a religious life but return to your kingdom, and in seven days you shall become emperor of the world, riding over the four continents."

to jesus, he said: "all these [kingdoms of the world] i will give you, if you fall down and worship me."

for buddha: "the skies rained flowers, and delicious odors prevailed [in] the air."

14. buddha "represented himself as a mere link in a long chain of enlightened teachers."

Jesus said: "think not that i have come to abolish the law, and the prophets; i have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them."

15. according to the somadeva, a buddhist ascetic's eye once offended him, so he plucked it out and cast it away.

jesus said: "if your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out, and throw it away;"

16. "buddha taught that the motive of all our actions should be pity or love of our neighbor."

17. buddha said: "hide your good deeds, and confess before the world the sins you have committed."

jesus said: "beware of practicing your piety before men to be seen by them;" and "therefore confess your sins one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed..."

"by directing his mind to the thoughts of others, [buddha] can know the thoughts of all beings."

"but jesus, knowing their thoughts, said: `why do you think evil in your hearts?' "

19. after "healing" a man born blind, buddha said: "the disease of this man originates in his sinful actions in former times."

"as [jesus] passed by, he saw a man blind from his birth. and his disciples said to him: `rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?'"

20. both were itinerant preachers with a close group of trustees within a larger group of disciples.

"the number of the disciples rapidly increased, and gautama sent forth his monks on missionary tours hither and thither, bidding them wander everywhere, preaching the doctrine, and teaching men to order their lives with self--restraint, simplicity, and charity."

"and [jesus] called to him the twelve [apostles], and began to send them out two by two. so they went out and preached that men should repent."

to convert skeptical villagers, buddha showed them his disciple walking across a river without sinking.

"he said: `come.' so peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to jesus, but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out: `lord, save me!' "

"one day ananda, the disciple of buddha, after a long walk in the country, meets with matangi, a woman of the low caste of the kandalas, near a well, and asks her for some water. she tells him what she is, and that she must not come near him. but he replies: `my sister, i ask not for your caste or your family, i ask only for a drought of water. she afterwards became a disciple of buddha."

"there came a woman of samaria to draw water. jesus said to her: `give me a drink.' for his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. the samaritan woman said to him: `how is it that you, a jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of samaria?' for jews have no dealings with samaritans."

"the buddha next addressed the bhikkhus and requested them three times to ask him if they had any doubt or question that they wished clarified, but they all remained silent."

"[jesus] said to him the third time: `simon, son of john, do you love me?' peter was grieved because he said to him the third time: `do you love me?'"

"the people swept the pathway, the gods strewed flowers on the pathway and branches of the coral tree, the men bore branches of all manner of trees, and the bodhisattva sumedha spread his garments in the mire, [and] men and gods shouted: `all hail.' "

"and they brought the colt to jesus, and threw their garments on it; and he sat on it. and many spread their garments on the road, and others spread leafy branches which they had cut from the fields."

i am not trying to say that jesus was actually the buddha! i just think it is remarkable how much commonality we share. christianity is certainly a beautiful religion with much in common with my own buddhism, no matter if it is a coincidence. may you all find peace this day and always.

It is likely that the source of the wisdom of Jesus Christ and Buddha was the same. I have held the opinion for some time that as Catholics have come to represent the history and tradition of divine enlightenment that was once given and then evolved in western culture that Buddhism in a like manner has come to represent the history and tradition of divine enlightenment that was once given and then evolved in eastern culture.

The Traveler

The answer is no. Nor did He endorse any physiology of men. He was simply instructed over time by GOD HIMSELF or others who were assigned to Him in mortality.

The beautiful thing about our church is that it embraces all truth, whatever the source. (Brigham Young said that if there is any truth in heaven, earth, or even hell, it belongs to us.) I have looked into some of the principles of Buddhism, and find much to admire--in fact, if I weren't LDS, I might very well become a Buddhist. The principle of not becoming attached to things of the world reminds me of the admonition to beware of covetousness, "for what is property unto me? saith the Lord" (D&C 117:4). The Buddhist emphasis on living in the present moment taught me that the Holy Ghost always speaks to us in the Now, rather than in the past or the future--and that if we are preoccupied with the past or the future, we will miss those promptings. And the practice of meditation has helped me calm my mind before praying so that I am in a more receptive state.

Was Jesus a Buddhist? Well, the mortal Jesus was very much a Jew. The immortal Christ, however, transcends labels and denominations. He is the Father of all truth, and inasmuch as Buddhism (or any other tradition) is aligned with true principles, then he is that tradition--or rather, that tradition is of Him. The gospel, as we have been reminded with increasing frequency and intensity over the last several General Conferences, is marvelously inclusive.