Thanksgiving Dinner/day

StrawberryFields

Life is about change, and adapting, and traditions~

In our family we have developed a rotation schedule for Thanksgiving Dinner. In the twenty three years I have been married, we have had dinner with his family one year, and mine the next.

Last year we had Thanksgiving dinner with my husbands’ family as the rotation indicated. This year it will be with my family but without my mom. I know that this will happen to everyone eventually, and we will have to carry on without our mothers. This will be my first year of starting a new tradition and I would like it to be special.

Thanksgiving is a very sentimental holiday for me. We have always had so many things to be grateful for. This year with the miracle that has occurred in our family, we feel especially blessed. Just as a refresher, My 17 year olds son was seriously injured at work, and almost died from his head injuries. Through many, many prayers, blessings, and fasting, he is surviving. The accident has left him with a traumatic brain injury, but given what has happened to him, he is doing exceptionally well.

Okay, now my question... What is it that you couldn't do without when it comes to the dinner, or that day? What are the little things that makes Thanksgiving special in your family?

SF,

Life is about changing, sometimes not how we wish for it to change. Just treasure each and every moment you have with your family. (of course you know this) My son and his wife will be spending their first Thanksgiving together with her family, but I get them for Christmas this year. They only live a few blocks from me so I get them most of the time anyway. I just hope that I will be around another year to have them with me. Illness does bring family closer, sad to say it has to come to that for it to happen, but guess better later than never.

Love,

Marsha

SF - I'm so sorry that your mother has passed. I haven't had to deal with my mother's death, but I think about all that stuff once in a while. My DH and I do the same thing (Christmas with my family/Thanksgiving with his one year, then alternate the next). This year though it is changing. Since we have a small child, we have informed them that we will not be away from home on Christmas Day (at least morning). I want my son to wake up at home and open gifts under his tree.

As far as Thanksgiving traditions, it's all about family. Rarely can all of either family be together, as we all do something similar with alternating holidays. But the more, the better. We just sit around and talk and eat. All the kids have a blast playing. Football comes in there somewhere for the guys. What an awesome day!

Marsha - Are you ill? I hope nothing is terribly wrong!

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Nov 11 2004, 08:46 AM

Life is about change, and adapting, and traditions~

In our family we have developed a rotation schedule for Thanksgiving Dinner. In the twenty three years I have been married, we have had dinner with his family one year, and mine the next.

Last year we had Thanksgiving dinner with my husbands’ family as the rotation indicated. This year it will be with my family but without my mom. I know that this will happen to everyone eventually, and we will have to carry on without our mothers. This will be my first year of starting a new tradition and I would like it to be special.

Thanksgiving is a very sentimental holiday for me. We have always had so many things to be grateful for. This year with the miracle that has occurred in our family, we feel especially blessed. Just as a refresher, My 17 year olds son was seriously injured at work, and almost died from his head injuries. Through many, many prayers, blessings, and fasting, he is surviving. The accident has left him with a traumatic brain injury, but given what has happened to him, he is doing exceptionally well.

Okay, now my question... What is it that you couldn't do without when it comes to the dinner, or that day? What are the little things that makes Thanksgiving special in your family?

In our family--Christmas is the holiday that follows a strict pattern. My mother-in-law always hogs Christmas Eve (which makes my mom, and my sisters in law's mom's mad) Thanksgiving has been more casual, with more latitude in where and with whom we spend it. I've tried other main dishes instead of Turkey (pork roast, leg of lamb, etc.), but the Turkey is always the favorite, so I'd say we can't do without a good turkey (I keep typing "turdy" by mistake!) I like to put sticky rice in the stuffing. I cook it first and add it with a bunch of butter when I stuff the Turkey. Mmmmmmmmmm...the whole family loves it cause it's soooo moist! Also, I like to give my kids an opportunity to share anything they like. Some of them are performers, so they like to sing or dance. A couple of them like to share sports stories, and one of them doesn't like to share at all (and that's fine too!) I also like giving all the males an assignment. Otherwise they sit around and let the females do all the cooking and cleaning up. Not in my house! :)

This is awesome...thanks for sharing. :)

Vickie, it doesn't take a special holiday for me to "talk" with my mom. The problem arises when others hear me doing so and no one else is in the room. ;)

Marsha, I am sorry to hear that things aren't getting any better. I remember so clearly. my mom telling me "you really need to come and see me I won't be around forever". She said this years before she knew she was sick. She was diagnosed with cancer in February, and then March she was gone. Priorities are really something we need to be more concerned with. I am happy that you are close with and get to spend time with your son. Take lots of pictures with all of your family during the holidays especially.

Shanstress, I think that it is great that you are starting a new tradition with your son. Children are so much fun to have in the house at Christmas. Football...my family has also loved sitting (sleeping) in front of the TV on Thanksgiving.

Curvette, It sounds like you have been adventurous with the Thanksgiving dinner. Of it is a more casual affair, are you the one who usually does the majority of the meal? I would love to try that stuffing. My mom was the best at, making her stuffing and anytime I have tried to duplicate her, I have failed. Something new would be great! I like your idea about the sharing that goes on. I thought that I might have everyone write something, less then a paragraph, what they are thankful for. Then we would put them in a basket, and let each person draw one out and read it aloud. Like I said we have so much to be thankful for with Nick. and then my oldest getting married to a wonderful girl and on, and on.

Blessed, I am so sorry and I mean it when I say I have missed you. How will you spend Thanksgiving this year? How is Alaska? How are YOU?

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Nov 11 2004, 11:32 PM

Vickie, it doesn't take a special holiday for me to "talk" with my mom. The problem arises when others hear me doing so and no one else is in the room. ;)

This made me chuckle. I do that sometimes with my grandma--she was the only one in the family who ALWAYS laughed at my jokes. I miss her.

Ill be with my grandma this thanksgiving! Me and my son are headed to california to have thanksgiving with like 30+ people from my family I havent seen in years. Some times i think about my grandma passing, (cause she talks about how old shes getting and not in a very positive way) when she goes i dont know what I do, she is highly responsible for the decent person i turned out to be and I just deeply respect her and love her. I plan on spending as much time with her as i can.

Gosh I love that woman, I should probably let her know how much!

Thanksgiving to me is family and friends, I am so sorry for those who will miss loved ones during the holidays. SF-Blessed....I am deeply sorry for the void. Marsha, hang in there, let me know how you are doing since our last chat. Spencer......yes, yes, yes, tell your Grandma how much she means to you, you are so lucky to have the chance to spend with her :) boy, do I miss my Grandma, she had a big part in my life as well.

Funny, how we can talk to, and still have a connection with those who have passed......no, not funny since it's a blessing that we have had given to us. But yet I have to smile remembering when my daughter came to me and said, "I just talked to Grandpa, he's doing fine." (Grandpa had passed away 5 years before.) I didn't blink an eye, and it warmed my heart to hear it. :)

My family has a tradition of getting together with my wife’s brother and his family for Thanksgiving. Everyone else in our families is either lives too far away or is estranged, by their choice. We take turns going to each other’s house, and we both prepare the foods we want to eat. Thanksgiving just wouldn’t be as nice without some things.

Another one of our traditions is to say something about what we are thankful for, before we eat or express thanks directly to our heavenly Father. Not only does this moment give us another opportunity to express our thankfulness, but it also lets each of us know what is going on in our lives. I especially enjoy knowing what is in the hearts and minds of the little children, the youngest of which is 5 year old right now.

Originally posted by Spencer@Nov 12 2004, 09:37 AM

Ill be with my grandma this thanksgiving! Me and my son are headed to california to have thanksgiving with like 30+ people from my family I havent seen in years. Some times i think about my grandma passing, (cause she talks about how old shes getting and not in a very positive way) when she goes i dont know what I do, she is highly responsible for the decent person i turned out to be and I just deeply respect her and love her. I plan on spending as much time with her as i can.

Gosh I love that woman, I should probably let her know how much!

That sounds like fun, Spencer. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. I'm sure everyone will be glad to see you guys. BTW, grandmas LOVE to hear that kind of stuff!

Originally posted by curvette+Nov 12 2004, 08:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Nov 12 2004, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Strawberry Fields@Nov 11 2004, 11:32 PM

This made me chuckle. I do that sometimes with my grandma--she was the only one in the family who ALWAYS laughed at my jokes. I miss her.

I am happy to hear that I am not alone on this. :)

Now, about that recipe for stuffing.............:D

Spencer, I think that it awesome that you will be spending time with your family and especially your grandma. There is just something about a grandma that makes us feel so very special. One of my grandma's used to take care of me when my parents went out of town. She made me dolls out of the flowers of a trumpet vine. She was a great cook and she loved quilting, and all manor of home keeping. She passed away on July 24th; Pioneer's Day 2000. Both my husband and I woke up early at an odd time for the holiday. Later, when my mom called, I knew why she was calling, and the time my grandma died. I still feel very close to my grandma and think of my times with her often. How I think of it as my grandma lives on in the lives of her children and grandchild...she left a wonderful legacy.

Tell everyone how much they mean to you, every chance you get. For some reason, people just don't get tired of having others tell them how great they are. ;)

Lindy, are you having thanksgiving with your girls and their families?

Ray, it sounds like you will be having a nice holiday. Do you help with the meal or is it just the women who prepare the food. My husband has his specialties and when it comes time for clean up he is especially good. :D

Jenda, I believe I read that you might be alone for Thanksgiving, I hope not. You are welcome at my house if you can make the trip, we may even have snow (the white fluffy stuff). :)

My family is planning a family reunion in Maryland, and I would be there, but my dog just had puppies and they will only be about 4 weeks old at the time, and I would not feel right keeping the dogs crated up for 5 days. I have checked out kennels, friends, etc., and there is no one home or willing to take the dogs, and the kennels won't take them that young. My husband is away at training, and my older daughter will be with her father this year, so it is just me and my youngest. I do have an invitation (I think) to my sister-in-law's mother-in-law's house, so I still might get to have a Thanksgiving yet. :)

Lindy, are you having thanksgiving with your girls and their families?

Actually, having dinner with both girls, their families, and daughter's inlaws (mother-father in-law, sister in-law (and her daughter) and the grandmother in-law. So I guess it will be around 14 people on T-day.......the more the merrier! :)

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Nov 12 2004, 11:10 PM

Now, about that recipe for stuffing.............:D

Huh? I never use recipes! I just take any old stuffing mix and embellish. Add: sticky rice cooked in chicken broth instead of water (as much or little as you like), butter (lots), chopped up waterchestnuts (instead of celery), and anything else that looks good! Sometimes I add a little couscous too--yummy!

• 2 weeks later...

The day for me could only have been better if my mom had been there, and my hubby wasn't in such a hurry to get to our retreat. The meal was special, everything was beautiful, and the food all turned out (thanks curvette). I gave my new daughter in law the recipe for my moms’ raspberry Jell-O salad and we all felt her presences we chatted and reminisced about our past holidays. I took several photos (something that I had neglected to do in the past. Next time I prepare the Thanksgiving dinner for my family I will not be so apprehensive.

I really enjoyed myself... the worry and work was worth it all.

Well, how was this day for all of you?