Is the Song of Songs (Solomon) inspired?

prisonchaplain

Apparently there is a handwritten note in the JST manuscript that says the book is not inspired. I went to lds.org, but found no notes. Does anyone know...could it be that the Song of Songs is not considered part of LDS canon? :eek:

Like the other person said Joseph Smith when working on the "Inspired Version" stated it was not inspired, but since LDS members use the KJV it is in their current cannon of scripture. I used to believe it wasn't, just because Joseph said it, but I no longer feel it is not inspired.

BTW, Mark Driscoll just did a great sermon series on it at Mar Hill Church up in Seattle. You should check it out.

Edited by KristofferUmfrey

Since the book of Song of Solomon is in the KJV, it is technically accepted by LDS as canon and doctrine, Joseph's comment notwithstanding. However, for LDS mystics, it is not only doctrine but very inspiring, since it is written in the Jewish mystical symbolistic style.

Nephi said that simple writing is better, and I'll not argue with that; Nevertheless for one who knows the mystical use of gematria and other textual tools, it is WAY cool.

HiJolly

I don't ever remember covering it in church as anything other than inspiring literature - I certainly do not remember major time being devoted to it in Gospel Doctrine, Seminary and Institute like other scripture. Certainly for me its more like reading Shakespeare than Malachi

-Charley

Perhaps Joseph Smith only meant 'inspired' as pertaining to direct revelation. As far it being 'inspired', I'm not sure if any good literature isn't inspired in one way or another.

My question was in regards to your first definition. Protestants and Catholics both accept the Song of Songs as direct revelation from God. I don't subscribe to the idea of biblical writers as mere dictation scribes. Surely their own language style and background flavor the writings--but even that is God-inspired, in my book.

In making his revelatory translation of the Bible, the Prophet Joseph Smith also gave serious consideration to the Song of Solomon. He simply declared that "the Songs of Solomon are not inspired writings," and hence this book is not included in the editions of the holy scriptures known as the Joseph Smith Translation.

The best-known fact among Latter-day Saints about the Song of Solomon is that Joseph Smith wrote in the manuscript of the Joseph Smith Translation, "The Songs of Solomon are not inspired writings." Nevertheless, we have a very significant allusion to a passage from it in modern revelation. The bride is referred to in the Song of Solomon as one "that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners" (Song 6:10). In the book of Revelation we find the symbol of a woman who "fled into the wilderness" (Rev. 12:5), who represents "the church of God," and who "brought forth the kingdom of our God and his Christ" (JST Rev. 12:7). In the Doctrine and Covenants, Joseph Smith's inspired dedicatory prayer for the Kirtland Temple refers to the coming forth of the Church in the latter days with the same imagery, building on the language found in the Song of Solomon: "That thy church may come forth out of the wilderness of darkness, and shine forth fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners; And be adorned as a bride for that day when thou shalt unveil the heavens, and cause the mountains to flow down at thy presence, and the valleys to be exalted, the rough places made smooth; that thy glory may fill the earth" (D&C 109:73-74; see also 105:31-32).

The Song of Solomon can be profitably read from many perspectives. It can be enjoyed simply for its delightful images, as a beautiful love poem exalting the relationship between a man and a woman, or it can be read as an allegory of the relationship between God and his children-a relationship that is used repeatedly in scripture to teach us about the covenant.

Guest DeborahC

According to Rabbi Bart:

To whom did King Solomon sing the “Song of Songs”?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

He sang it to G-d. The bride and groom are a metaphor for the Jewish people and G-d, and the song is an expression of the profound and undying love which always exists between the two. Here is what Rashi has to say on the first verse of the Song of Songs:

Our Rabbis taught:1 “Every ‘Solomon’2 mentioned in the Song of Songs is sacred (a reference to G-d), the King to Whom peace belongs.” 3

"The world was never as worthy as on the day that the Song of Songs was given to Israel, for all the Writings are holy, whereas the Song of Songs is the holiest of the holy...

It is a song above all songs, which was recited to the Holy One, blessed be He, by His congregation and His people, the congregation of Israel.

Rabbi Akiva said: The world was never as worthy as on the day that the Song of Songs was given to Israel, for all the Writings are holy, whereas the Song of Songs is the holiest of the holy...

All the Writings are holy and the Song of Songs is the holiest of the holy, for it is all comprised of fear of Heaven and the acceptance of the yoke of His kingdom."

Footnotes

• 1. Shavuot 35b.

• 2. For they were at a loss to explain why Scripture did not mention his father, as it did in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

• 3. Solomon’s Hebrew name, “Shlomo,” means “peace is his.

To Kabbalists, it has great meaning.

According to many Christians, it is an allegorical love song between Christ and his Church.

I have no idea where the LDS Church stands on it.

Edited by DeborahC

Victor Ludlow had this to say about the collections of love ballads ^_^

Rather than a psalm written by or about Solomon (as the title would suggest), this work is a short collection of about two dozen love songs or ballads. According to a notation made by Joseph Smith while working on his translation of the Bible, he did not consider the book to be inspired scripture. It is one of two biblical books (along with Esther) wherein the name of God is not mentioned. Although doctrinally not enlightening, the book can be appreciated through two avenues of study.

One can study the work as a collection of love ballads. The separation of the ballads and the identification of the singers (he, she, or a group of observers) are not clearly marked, especially in the King James Version. However, other translations, including the Revised Standard Version and the Jerusalem Bible, are quite helpful in assisting with this problem. Although quite different from love songs today, these ballads are authentic examples of oriental poetry. They vividly depict the love between a man and a woman. Open and descriptive, but never vulgar, they express the tender, emotional feelings between lovers. Using many images and comparisons, they describe the physical attractions the man and his maiden find in each other. Excitement, anxiety, loneliness, and other emotions are also portrayed by the woman and her lover. With simple innocence, these love poems entice us toward these oriental lovers as we see them through their own eyes and hearts.

A second study of the Song of Solomon could be to consider it as an allegory or representation of God's love for Israel (Jewish interpretation) or for the Church (Christian viewpoint). Latter-day Saints in particular have reasons to identify with this allegory. First, whether the maiden represents Israel or the Church, one should recognize that not every Israelite or Christian can claim this symbolized pure love from God-it is reserved for the covenant Israelite and the member of Christ's true church. Both these titles should apply to Latter-day Saints, and thus they should feel welcomed in the love and embrace of Christ. Secondly, there is one description of the woman in the Song of Solomon that is used repeatedly in the Doctrine and Covenants to identify the restored Church of Jesus Christ.

This description is found at the end of the poem in Song of Solomon 6:10-13. In verse ten, it is asked: "Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?" This is answered in the inspired dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple recorded in Doctrine and Covenants 109:73, where "she" is identified with Christ's restored church, which will "come forth out of the wilderness of darkness, and shine forth fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners." Continuing with the biblical image, Joseph Smith adds that she will be "adorned as a bride for that day" when the Lord would unveil the heavens, transform the earth, and appear in glory. (D&C 109:74.) Further references in the Doctrine and Covenants to the Song of Solomon are sections 5:14 and 105:31, where the maiden is again identified with Christ's restored church and its hosts of members who are sanctified in preparation for the Millennium. (See also "Banners" article in Daniel H. Ludlow, A Companion to Your Study of the Doctrine and Covenants [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978], vol. 2, pp. 21-22.)

One other reference to the maiden in Song of Solomon as the restored Church is found in Revelation 12:1-7. Here John describes a woman appearing in the last days with the sun and the moon. He records that she would deliver her child and prevail over Satan and that she is "the church of God, who had been delivered of her pains, and brought forth the kingdom of our God and his Christ. (JST Rev. 12:7.) Compare Isaiah's description of these events in Isaiah 66:5-13, where he records that suddenly Zion will be delivered by a woman and that she would draw Israel to her breasts.

Although the Song of Solomon appears to be simple love poetry, one can draw from it comparisons to spiritual matters, just as one relates moral and spiritual meaning to other allegories, parables, and stories of the Bible. These love ballads can be appreciated for their own intrinsic and poetic values, and they can also be expanded and applied to the Lord's descriptions of his restored church in the last days. (See BD "Song of Solomon.")

BTW, yes, adolescent Christians tend to love this book for its direct and positive presentation of romantic love. I frankly believe that, for all its allegory, the Song of Songs also holds as God-given and adorable the natural love between a man and a woman.

• 2 years later...

I know I'm reviving an old thread but I was looking up some things about Song of Solomon and the link for this thread popped up so I thought I'd give my input based on what I've read. There is a footnote that claims Joseph Smith said Song of Solomon isn't inspired. There's a good chance it was just a scribe that put this and it's just been attributed to Joseph Smith. After all, if it wasn't inspired, why is Song of Solomon quoted on at least three occasions in the Doctrine and Covenants? A verse quoted is Song of Solomon 6:10. In Doctrine and Covenants 5:14 and 105:31, if you read all the things before, you see it's God himself quoting from Song of Solomon. Tell me, if it's not inspired by God why would God quote it? And in 109:73 we see the prophet Joseph Smith, the same person you claim said it's not inspired, quote from Song of Solomon in prayer and he said his prayer came from revelation from God thus making the quote inspired.

Song of Solomon 6:10 Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?

Doctrine and Covenants 5:14 And to none else will I grant this power, to receive this same testimony among this generation, in this the beginning of the rising up and the coming forth of my church out of the wilderness—clear as the moon, and fair as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners.

Doctrine and Covenants 105:31 But first let my army become very great, and let it be sanctified before me, that it may become fair as the sun, and clear as the moon, and that her banners may be terrible unto all nations;

Doctrine and Covenants 109:73 That thy church may come forth out of the wilderness of darkness, and shine forth fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners;

Please note that you should read those entire sections from Doctrine and Covenants since the first two appear to be God quoting from Song of Solomon and then in 109 we learn that Joseph Smith said that in prayer when dedicating the Kirtland Temple and he said that prayer was from a revelation. Even if it's not inspired I'd say God certainly approves of Song of Solomon since God himself quotes from it twice and since Joseph Smith, a prophet of God, received revelation on what to say in the prayer.