crazy buddhist loves guns and knives

bodhigirlsmiles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sound advice, thank you. why would you recommend that particular calibur?

Probably because the rounds are cheaper. 22lr are among the least expensive to purchase. So, if you are wanting the gun primarily for target practice, you don't have to write off your first born child, as you do with some caliber bullets.

9mm pistols are among my favorites. I also am very fond of the 357. Clint Eastwood can keep his 44 - it is too big for most people, and the accuracy from that big kick just isn't worth it.

In 2001 apparently.

From wikipedia:

One girl wanted to know how to react to a shooter who takes aim at a classmate.

The Dalai Lama said acts of violence should be remembered, and then forgiveness should be extended to the perpetrators. But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg.

He's also defended India's nuclear testing. (I only see this from his detractors, not sure how he phrased it himself.)

LM

I spent 20 years in the USAF. Women are very well respected in the military. People are usually not judged by gender, but by their abilities and hard work. I worked for many excellent female commanders and supervisors over the year, and would do it again.

Hahahahahah. Oh ya. You were in the old Air force.

I think its great that you are researching this. I will highly rec. shooting before you buy. I too am female and I have shot 9mm....40 cal's and .45 cal. Due to my very small hand I do have somewhat of a hard time holding it in the correct manner..................so again try some different ones and find the one that you are comfortable with.

I bit of a side note I strongly urge some training on weapon retention.

So, you say Buddhists "don't believe in violence"? I think I understand that you all figure killing for any reason, no matter how justifiable, ain't a tool a Buddhist can use. But are you able to practice self-defense in ways which might harm someone? Something to keep in mind is the notion that when we employ a firearm to defend ourselves, we are trying to STOP the attack. We are not trying to KILL the attacker. It's an important difference.

That is a very important point. The Shaolin Priests did not seek out fighting, it came to them. Had the Emperor's nephews not brought about the death of the Master Po, Kwai Chang Caine would not have felt the need to kill the nephew with a javelin throw.

I have a Glock Model 23 40 cal. Used to shoot a 1911 45. Also own a S&W 642 hammerless revolver. I like the glock better. Do not like the anticipation of watching the cylinder turn on the revolver. Prefer the surprise break of the semi-auto handgun.

Unless you shoot a lot of rounds or in competition I don't think it matters much.

I shoot enough with mine and practice under stress conditions to be accurate and timely. Don't just practice at a bench, a counter, standing, sitting, laying on the ground, rolling on the ground, opposite hand, in dark with flashlight. In dark with flashing light. Those are real not standing and taking forever to hit a target.

Ben Raines

I'm very pleased that some posters here are proficient with guns. My hope is that some of you that are good live in the pacific northwest. Because, alas, despite a week of training on a rifle, my top score on a rather easy siloutte range (50-300 yards I believe) was 52%. So, if you hear the prisonchaplain cry for help...bare arms, bretheren (and sisteren)...bare arms!

That is a very important point. The Shaolin Priests did not seek out fighting, it came to them. Had the Emperor's nephews not brought about the death of the Master Po, Kwai Chang Caine would not have felt the need to kill the nephew with a javelin throw.

shaolin monks are so fascinating to me....i definately need to learn more about them.

shaolin monks are so fascinating to me....i definately need to learn more about them.

I suggest you begin by watching and studying the 1970s Kung Fu tv series with David Carradine. :lol:

Seriously, they did show that his fighting skills were only used as a last resort - something that most of us do not understand. Usually we Americans go immediately to DefCon 1 when someone spills a drink on us, or cuts us off in traffic.

I retired in 2002, so I don't think it is THAT old! BTW, where do you live? I have a few pilot buddies that want to do a fly over your house sometime soon....

I get flyovers all the time here in base housing. :P

Not saying people don't work hard but in my time in I found appearance counted more often then hard work for gaining recognition. At least for recognition and respect that came down the chain.

So, if you hear the prisonchaplain cry for help...bare arms, brethren (and sisteren)...bare arms!

Not so easily done Chaplain, with modesty requirements for our underwear. However if you were to shout, "half sleeve, Brethren and Sisteren, half sleeves!" we could readily come to your rescue.

Seriously, they did show that his fighting skills were only used as a last resort - something that most of us do not understand. Usually we Americans go immediately to DefCon 1 when someone spills a drink on us, or cuts us off in traffic.

Strangely enough, when I'm driving and carrying my gun, I find myself being much calmer, just backing off when folks cut me off, etc. The last thing I want to do is escalate something stupid into something dangerous for somebody.

On a related note, I've found that gun stores are populated with some of the friendliest, nicest, most mutually respectful people I've seen anywhere on earth. I've had experiences in the temple that were less friendly than the least-friendly experience in a gun store.

LM

ok....yes, i'm buddhist....and yes, buddhists do not believe in violence....but i have a HUGE fascination with guns and knives. (do NOT tell my parents, LOL, they seriously would not be pleased.)

for my birthday, i am thinking about getting myself a handgun. i am pretty much settled on a .9mm, although i am not at all settled on which maker.

i am fond of glocks, but i don't know if i want to spend quite that much.

recently i read about another gun....the cz 75 d compact .9mm. it is a czech-made gun, and seems to get great reviews (at about half the cost of a glock).

does anyone have any experience with either? is it better to spend the extra money? do you have any recommendations?

(p.s. calleigh duquesne is my hero....)

A couple of years ago I read reviews on a Bersa 380 handgun, and the reviews raved about this thing. At the time they were selling for about $215-- but the reviewer said that they should be selling for $400 easily.

I personally have not fired one, but I have a couple of freinds at work who have purchased them and love them and they are still selling in the low to mid $200 range I think.

Some who like the bigger handguns will probably call them a pea-shooter, but for those who want a smaller compact weapon that conceals rather well, supposedly this is a great little gun.

I hope that the Dhali Lhama would be the last person anyone would take advice from when dealing with a perp.

I think the perp will be laughing in the back of his mind and at the same time thinking what an idiot this person is for merely shooting him in the leg--especially as the perp unloads his weapon of it's ammo into the chest of the victim.

If people are going to own a handgun for protection against home invasion for example, you must shoot to kill-- because you probably won't get another chance.

If you can't stomach the thought of shooting to kill to protect your domain-- well, you might want to invest in a couple of pit-bulls--and keep them in the house at nights.

That would certainly be better than nothing.

Loren W. Christensen, police veteran, offered some advice for dealing with someone who was out to do you serious harm. He said that it might be better to kill the other person merely than just incapacitating them- because you never know if they might have a hidden gun to kill you with, or (the main reason) there's plenty of cases where the perpetrator sued the victim because the victim seriously injured the perpetrator- and the case was upheld by the jury. In the end, the victim had to pay thousands and thousands of dollars to their would-be murderer.