????? Pork????

bytor2112

I don't get how appropriation = pork. I thought appropriations were just money set aside for a particular purpose. I think I'd have to see what this purpose is to decide how much of these appropriations are pork or not.

...I really should just not be lazy and do my own analysis of this.

EDIT: The other posts on this blog leads me to believe that the graph has a right spin. It casts a pall over the believability of the graph.

Edited by LittleWyvern

I am sick of this pork terminology. It's a sensational misuse of the English language. Sensationalizing anything is never helpful and becomes propoganda.

Bytor, instead of giving us an angry face and say half of it's pork why don't you simply tell us what it is you specifically are objecting to. That'd be far more constructive to having a real discussion.

I am just wating for the Church to take over Utah and leave the Union so I can go live there. It is getting so bad, especially with the new POTUS, that I just do not see things getting better as our Govt continues to do things to make things worse. This giant "PORK" bill and the other coming "PORK" bills with other things like Health Care etc will be the death of our Republic.

I think most people would agree that "pork" can be generally defined as unnecessary spending by the government which benefits limited groups of people.

Given that this spending wasn't included in last year's (or any year's) budget, I think you can make a decent argument for labeling the whole thing "pork". If you protest that the stimulus is essential to economic recovery, the whole thing would boil down to hyper-technical claims about Keynesian economics and a bunch of terms I couldn't begin to comprehend. Suffice it to say, there's a lot of smart folks who don't think it will work.

I am just wating for the Church to take over Utah and leave the Union so I can go live there. It is getting so bad, especially with the new POTUS, that I just do not see things getting better as our Govt continues to do things to make things worse.

I, for one, don't particularly look forward to the idea of the Church's starting a civil war. Assuming you buy into some variant of the White Horse prophecy, our commission is to save the Union. Not to destroy it.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I don't get how appropriation = pork. I thought appropriations were just money set aside for a particular purpose. I think I'd have to see what this purpose is to decide how much of these appropriations are pork or not.

...I really should just not be lazy and do my own analysis of this.

EDIT: The other posts on this blog leads me to believe that the graph has a right spin. It casts a pall over the believability of the graph.

Sen. Ben Nelson is a DEMOCRAT and he created the report......perhaps he's a right winger??????? :huh::huh:

Edited by bytor2112

Sen. Ben Nelson is a DEMOCRAT and he created the graph......perhaps he's a right winger??????? :huh::huh:

I was basing my judgment on the content of the blog, not the author of the graph.

Besides, if you follow the link to the spreadsheet (warning, pdf) Nelson posted, the graph doesn't exist anywhere in there. Obviously the graph (and the whole appropriations = earmarks thing) was created by the blog poster, not Nelson.

Edited by LittleWyvern
Added link to the spreadsheet in question

I am sick of this pork terminology. It's a sensational misuse of the English language. Sensationalizing anything is never helpful and becomes propoganda.

Bytor, instead of giving us an angry face and say half of it's pork why don't you simply tell us what it is you specifically are objecting to. That'd be far more constructive to having a real discussion.

"Pork" or "Pork barrel spending" is a political term that has been around since the 1800's........and I included the link for "anyone that might be interested to read the article and see the breakdown of spending in the report created by a Democratic Senator. As far as what I am objecting to.......all of it.

Edited by bytor2112

I was basing my judgment on the content of the blog, not the author of the graph.

Besides, if you follow the link to the spreadsheet (warning, pdf) Nelson posted, the graph doesn't exist anywhere in there. Obviously the graph (and the whole appropriations = earmarks thing) was created by the blog poster, not Nelson.

Yes, I believe it was.........the link was for "all that may be interested" to read his, Nelson's report.

Yes, I believe it was.........the link was for "all that may be interested" to read his, Nelson's report.

Yes, but Nelson didn't produce the graph and has nothing to do with the graph. To say that a Nelson produced this graph, or that the graph reflects Nelson's views, or that the graph is a definitive source, is just making stuff up.

Just curious........which posts are you referring to?

Most of the ones that go political instead of just doing calculations.

EDIT: if you'd like an example, try this one.

Edited by LittleWyvern

Yes, but Nelson didn't produce the graph and has nothing to do with the graph. To say that a Nelson produced this graph, or that the graph reflects Nelson's views, or that the graph is a definitive source, is just making stuff up.

Yes....I was agreeing with you....he didn't create the graph. Just the pdf, I should have been more clear.

Most of the ones that go political instead of just doing calculations.

EDIT: if you'd like an example, try this one.

Thanks for the example....I didn't notice. That being said, I tend to agree with their assessment....I don't see critiquing or criticizing the President as a right or left thing. Admittedly, I am a right winger, but we all need to hold our elected representatives accountable for bone headed moves, ® and (D). I greatly fear this "stimulus bill" is a pork barrel spending fiasco. I wish, if we are going to spend a ton of money, that it was hyper focused on the root of the economic down turn.....the housing and credit crisis. The huge list of goody's.......pork barrel spending,aka, appropriations, is a shameful waste of tax payer money, anytime in my opinion, but certainly during this time. But that is the way of Congress.........

The huge list of goody's.......pork barrel spending,aka, appropriations, is a shameful waste of tax payer money, anytime in my opinion, but certainly during this time. But that is the way of Congress.........

Again, appropriations does not equal pork. A certain amount of money could be set aside to help repair schools across the country, for example, and would be labeled an appropriation. You have to see what the appropriation is for first before judging it to be pork or not.

Again, appropriations does not equal pork. A certain amount of money could be set aside to help repair schools across the country, for example, and would be labeled an appropriation. You have to see what the appropriation is for first before judging it to be pork or not.

Sorry to disagree with you........this is supposedly a "Stimulus Bill" to prevent an economic disaster. The economic crisis didn't occur because some schools are in need of repair.........this is a crazy amount of debt and should scare the britches off all of us.

"I place economy among the first and most important of republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared... And to preserve (our) independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude."- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by bytor2112

"Pork" or "Pork barrel spending" is a political term that has been around since the 1800's...

What about Pork and Beans or even Steak and Potatoes? Why are members of the pig family solely singled out for political ax grinding? This usage must make life harder for the makers of Spam and Jimmy Dean sausage - great American Businesses that are potential contributors to the Republican party.

What about Pork and Beans or even Steak and Potatoes? Why are members of the pig family solely singled out for political ax grinding? This usage must make life harder for the makers of Spam and Jimmy Dean sausage - great American Businesses that are potential contributors to the Republican party.

*runs off and starts a campaign for "meat equality"*

To say I didn't have reservations about the bill, I'd be lying. Sadly to have anything done in this country you have to give something for everyone. That's human nature. Do I think the bill is needed, yes. I am just sort of mixed about some of it. I don't think it reaches out enough or does enough.

Edited by AngelLynn