How Does A Convert Relate To Non-Mormons?

i was raised catholic, so when i joined the church i expected a lil more tension between my catholic family and myself, but other than a bit if good natured teasing we keep religion to ourselves and just be family. Really isn't that hard unless either side just has to bring it up and can't really make the choice to accept and deal with each others choices.

Talking to my convert friends about their family situations, their comments have reflected exactly what Soulsearcher said. It is an obstacle that needs to be addressed, but definitely surmountable with patience and charity. The keys, I've been told, is loving acceptance and knowing when to let things go, if contention arises.

In my family there are several Evangelical Christians and a few Catholics. If I get baptized in to the church, how can I relate to them about what Christ says to me in the Book of Mormon? :confused:

My brother is gay, so I know how he felt when he 'came out' a few years back now. My evangelical aunt has yet to shun my brother, so I doubt i'll get anything my way from her or anyone else.

IMO the biggest obstacle is just pure ignorance about what "mormons" (and you?) believe and how they conduct themselves. The first thing my mom did was rattle off a list of things... caffeine, dancing, drinking, associating with non-members.... I was like "whoa, you're not even close to the mark." Hopefully I can change some of these faulty ideas over time. Thankfully I don't own any "magic underwear" yet.... that conversation can come up much MUCH later....

Years ago I used to go to raves pretty much every weekend (I also had teal colored hair). I loved the atmosphere (usually), the music, and the dancing. I never did drugs, but nobody would believe me- they just assumed that because I associated with a specific subculture fri/sat nights in downtown Seattle, that I must do everything the stereotype says I should do.... the aforementioned aunt even gave my dad some pamphlets from her church about how horrible raves were.... it took awhile, but I think I changed a few folk's minds about what a blue haired kid could be like.... stranded motorists were the best.... they're not going to turn down a ride to the gas station, but they're not quite sure they want to get into a mustang with a 'raver'....

My point is to be a living testimony- be what you would like others to believe you are- the rest will eventually fall into place

I think you will fit in just fine.

You sure are a night owl. I'm on PST. What's your excuse? :lol:

We're meeting the elders tomorrow at 9AM to get a tour of the stake office- I'll snap a few pics and post 'em maybe. If I can remember.

GNews4BadTimes- i'm also encountering another problem... where to stash the alcohol. I ask people if they want it (home bartender.... I never really drank, but I mixed for guests).... they're like "whaa? free? what's the catch? Is this some sort of multi-level marketing sales pitch?" Getting rid of alcohol without drinking it is harder than you would think....

i second that notion. If they really want to learn ask them to attend but remember that it is okay for you to study the scriptures so your always prepared.

I always let people know that i don mind discussing things as long as m views are not distorted into "typical mormon" views or distorting things.

I tell them in believie in God and in his son Jesus Christ and the holy Ghost. Usaually the articles of faith work here.

Please let me explain the situation: In my family there are several Evangelical Christians and a few Catholics. If I get baptized in to the church, how can I relate to them about what Christ says to me in the Book of Mormon? :confused:

Call on the Spirit, let it fill you and then bear testimony of the Savior. Leave all the rest until they get used to your dicision. So many times members of the church when asked about what we believe launch into family etc when what is needed is a simple sweet testimony of the Savior and His atonement. They will understand and accept this better than anything you can do. And when the Spirit is around there is less chance for contention and hard feelings.

I came from a similar atmosphere, I say take what you know and build on to it. Learn more about how to teach them using the Bible but don't go all in all the time. Let them know why you are joining/joined, that you still have many of the same beliefs as them, that you love them and are still on the same side. Then keep learning as much as possible and interacting with them as normal but try to be a good example. I was baptized just over 5 yrs ago and just last week my mom and dad started taking the discussions with the missionaries. The best way is like fishing to put it out there and then wait for bites. They will ask you questions so be prepared by studying and over the course of a couple weeks or years they will have a change of heart and if not theres always another way.

You will in most cases have to learn to accept people's disinterest or rejection of modern revelation. In some cases people will try and throw lots of trivia at you in an attempt to get you to see the deception they think you are under. All you can do is be aware of the best available answers to such issues so you will not be surprised. The FAIR website and its FAIR Wiki are helpful starting points for finding answers. LDS FAIR Apologetics Homepage Then by picking up answers you will be enabled to stand up for yourself in conversation.

Please let me explain the situation: In my family there are several Evangelical Christians and a few Catholics. If I get baptized in to the church, how can I relate to them about what Christ says to me in the Book of Mormon? :confused:

Don't worry, be happy!!!

The BoM says nothing that is not in the bible. It adds clarity, exactness, precision and transparency to who the Savior was and why He came. You should not have any problems there. If you have received a testimony of Christ from the Holy Ghost you have nothing to fear. They worship as they see fit you do the same without criticizing their particular religious affiliation..

Edited by Islander

No. Not yet. Have been talking to the local missionaries and one of the older members of the local ward/branch. Haven't gone through the lessons yet, still investigating. Just was wondering once a person becomes a Mormon how their Evangelical or Catholic families felt about it. Just trying to understand the aspects it has on a non-Mormon family.Thanks for most of you testimonies and keep giving me advise! :cool:

Are you sure you aren't already a member?

DH and I are both converts and both our families are anti-LDS (his family goes to a church that teaches that the LDS church is a cult). We just avoid the topic of religion altogether, but then again, we never really talked about it much anyway even before our conversions.

My family was *not* happy...at first. My father yelled and my mom was so upset she went upstairs to be alone. But then they saw how the Church affected my life and made me a better (I hope), happier person. My atheist sister was the one who convinced my mom that I was an adult and that mom had to let me make my own decisions. Now I am sure she knows the Church is true but will not admit it...she denies the distinct impression she got after leaving the house of two families in my ward here that "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

I hope you fit in, just find the right friends, we can be cliquey and snootish but we can also be the best friends you will ever have. If you join and I truly hope you do, just let your life speak for itself and people will see the changes. Even if they don't want to admit it. There will almost certainly be tension at first, but it will most likely clear up if you mean what you do.