Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since I was on this site. Much has transpired since then. A quick update. I have been taking the Missionary discussions. I will be taking my third this Friday. I have also been able to go to Church for the past several weeks. y wife has relented a little about her anti-LDS stance. So I beleive God is moving for the better in my life.

I have a quick question. When you are baptized into the Church, how does that happen? Also every picture I have ever seen in regards to baptism into the Church shows everyone wearing white Is this a requirement? My local Chapel has the baptismal font, but will I be required to wear the white clothes as well?

Thanks

Rick

The below is from a book called True to the Faith: You can read the entire thing here: LDS.org - Family Chapter Detail - Baptism

Baptism in the Lord’s Way

The Savior revealed the true method of baptism to the Prophet Joseph Smith, making clear that the ordinance must be performed by one having priesthood authority and that it must be done by immersion:

“The person who is called of God and has authority from Jesus Christ to baptize, shall go down into the water with the person who has presented himself or herself for baptism, and shall say, calling him or her by name: Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

“Then shall he immerse him or her in the water, and come forth again out of the water” (D&C 20:73–74).

Immersion is symbolic of the death of a person’s sinful life and the rebirth into a spiritual life, dedicated to the service of God and His children. It is also symbolic of death and resurrection. (See Romans 6:3–6.)

Hope this helps. White is a symbol of purity. It is the color worn in most LDS ordinances.

Edited by Connie
add link

Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since I was on this site. Much has transpired since then. A quick update. I have been taking the Missionary discussions. I will be taking my third this Friday. I have also been able to go to Church for the past several weeks. y wife has relented a little about her anti-LDS stance. So I beleive God is moving for the better in my life.

I have a quick question. When you are baptized into the Church, how does that happen? Also every picture I have ever seen in regards to baptism into the Church shows everyone wearing white Is this a requirement? My local Chapel has the baptismal font, but will I be required to wear the white clothes as well?

Thanks

Rick

Congratulations on the best decision you ever made ! if you choose to follow the lords commandments; you will find blessings begin too unfold in your life; It is real, and very much sure; that you can be well assured of; its entirely up to you as to how many blessings you want for the rest of your life. adversities? yes; Adversities also turn into blessings as you will find. Once again; congratulations!:)

Hi Rick,

Glad to see you on this forum as well! Amazing how this keeps going! As you've heard, you will dress in white clothes provided for you, as a symbol of your being cleansed through baptism and reborn through those covenants or promises, and ordinances... It will take place at the font, with a meeting before the baptism and remarks following the baptism. You can designate those who will speak and who will baptize and confirm you with the laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost. You can also choose hymns or special musical arrangements as part of your program. I'll send you some photos.

I'll be in touch as well, Rick.

I have a quick question. When you are baptized into the Church, how does that happen?

How? First after your have decided to get baptized (you know the church is true, know the book of mormon is from God, and know Joseph Smith restored the church and the priesthood back to the earth) you set a date to get baptized. Usually its about a month in the future. Enough time to complete all the discussions. Then after the discussions a baptism interview is performed by another missionary. This is more a check to make sure the missionaries have taught you what they should.

Then you have your baptism ceremony. Usually you kind of help plan who you want to be in this. Like it was stated you have an opening prayer, opening talk about baptism, then you have somebody baptized you (this is probably the main thing you should worry about, who do you want to baptize you?).

I think sometimes they sing a song after you are baptized or watch part of a movie while you are changing. Sometimes they do a talk on the Holy Ghost, but you aren’t given the holy ghost for about a week. This usually happens in Sacrament meeting.

Also every picture I have ever seen in regards to baptism into the Church shows everyone wearing white Is this a requirement?

Yes everybody picture I have seen is the same way.

My local Chapel has the baptismal font, but will I be required to wear the white clothes as well?

There is some lady in the stake that has White jump suits. She has all sizes. One day, probably with the missionaries or with a member to pick one out. Then when you go the baptism you well dress in your church clothing, then change when you get at the church.

White is the symbol of clean and purity. We are washing the sins away. The same white clothing is warn in the temple, and most deacons try to wear white shirts as the pass the sacrament. Its all to remind us to repent and to come before God wanting to give up our sins.

The Church has White jumpsuits in many sizes (I'm a big guy and they had a size to fit me), these are made out of heavy cloth and do not become transparent when wet. After you are baptised, you go into the restroom and change into regular clothes and the rest of the ceremony continues. You'll want to bring a towel with you.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

Rick

Rick, being baptized, would that create a barrier in your marriage?