holy ghost??

big question.....this will probably be like explaining something to a child, but bear with me please!!

what, exactly, is the holy ghost??

is it responsible for whatever has been changing me?? is it a real person? the craziest things have been happening to me lately (ever since i came to a realization that there is a god and, i think, he loves me.

help me, please.....

i feel as though the whole of everything i have ever "known" to be true in my life is now on end. i feel shaky inside and i'm not sure what to make of it all.

:(

big question.....this will probably be like explaining something to a child, but bear with me please!!

is it responsible for whatever has been changing me?? is it a real person? the craziest things have been happening to me lately (ever since i came to a realization that there is a god and, i think, he loves me.

help me, please.....

i feel as though the whole of everything i have ever "known" to be true in my life is now on end. i feel shaky inside and i'm not sure what to make of it all.

It's nothing to be frightened of. :) The Holy Ghost is just terminology for something that testifies in your heart that something is true. God doesn't leave you comfortless. He doesn't leave you drowning, though you might feel like you are if you're suddenly gasping for breath.

Just know that, when the Holy Ghost tells you something, it's because God wants you to know he loves you and it is true. You aren't alone.

It's nothing to be frightened of. :) The Holy Ghost is just terminology for something that testifies in your heart that something is true. God doesn't leave you comfortless. He doesn't leave you drowning, though you might feel like you are if you're suddenly gasping for breath.

Just know that, when the Holy Ghost tells you something, it's because God wants you to know he loves you and it is true. You aren't alone.

so it is normal to feel this way? i feel as though i'm going a little crazy.

It is another member of the Godhead [God the Father, the Savior, and the Holy Ghost] that is given the role as a comforter and a testifier of truths. He is a person like you and me but does not have a mortal body.

Some church articles that may aid you: [out of 2200 articles]

The Holy Ghost

in Marion G. Romney, Ensign, 1974, May

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Holy Ghost Skip to Content Skip to Navigation... received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not...

Discovering the Holy Ghost

in David H. Yarn, Jr., Ensign, 1975, Sept.

... - Ensign Article - Discovering the Holy Ghost Skip to Content Skip to Navigation... our day that “before he came holy prophets spake as they were inspired ...

First Presidency Message The Gift of the Holy Ghost— A Sure Compass

in James E. Faust, Ensign, 1996, Apr.

... - Ensign Article - The Gift of the Holy Ghost—A Sure Compass Skip to Content ...Said B. H. Roberts, “By having the Holy Spirit as one’s prompter in the moments...

The Gift of the Holy Ghost: What Every Member Should Know

in Boyd K. Packer, Ensign, 2006, Aug.

.... There are two examples of the visible manifestation of the Holy Ghost I know of in the scriptures. The first was when the Lord ... can move forward accompanied by that power of the Holy Ghost. [illustration] Background © Artbeats [illustration] ...

The Continuing Power of the Holy Ghost

in Franklin D. Richards, Ensign, 1973, July

... Ensign Article - The Continuing Power of the Holy Ghost Skip to Content Skip to Navigation... 3:17 ). To keep in tune with the Holy Ghost, we must keep our...

The Holy Ghost: A Stranger, Visitor, or Constant Companion?

in Coleen Baird, Ensign, 1977, June

... heads and are told by a representative of the Lord, “Receive the HolyHoly Ghost o Ghost.” All the rationalizing in the world cannot erase ... after searching the scriptures, that in order to have the companionship of the ur lives must be in conformance with ...

so it is normal to feel this way? i feel as though i'm going a little crazy.

Everyone feels that way sometime, Bodhi. ;) It's okay. Just know you aren't alone, you're loved and that things will work out. It's stressful, I know. There are a lot of changes in your life, you can see things you couldn't before. It's all right. We're here. :) Just don't try to do it alone, because it's a lot to take in. You have a million questions.

It is another member of the Godhead [God the Father, the Savior, and the Holy Ghost] that is given the role as a comforter and a testifier of truths. He is a person like you and me but does not have a mortal body.

Some church articles that may aid you: [out of 2200 articles]

The Holy Ghost

in Marion G. Romney, Ensign, 1974, May

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Holy Ghost Skip to Content Skip to Navigation... received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not...

Discovering the Holy Ghost

in David H. Yarn, Jr., Ensign, 1975, Sept.

... - Ensign Article - Discovering the Holy Ghost Skip to Content Skip to Navigation... our day that “before he came holy prophets spake as they were inspired ...

First Presidency Message The Gift of the Holy Ghost— A Sure Compass

in James E. Faust, Ensign, 1996, Apr.

... - Ensign Article - The Gift of the Holy Ghost—A Sure Compass Skip to Content ...Said B. H. Roberts, “By having the Holy Spirit as one’s prompter in the moments...

The Gift of the Holy Ghost: What Every Member Should Know

in Boyd K. Packer, Ensign, 2006, Aug.

.... There are two examples of the visible manifestation of the Holy Ghost I know of in the scriptures. The first was when the Lord ... can move forward accompanied by that power of the Holy Ghost. [illustration] Background © Artbeats [illustration] ...

The Continuing Power of the Holy Ghost

in Franklin D. Richards, Ensign, 1973, July

... Ensign Article - The Continuing Power of the Holy Ghost Skip to Content Skip to Navigation... 3:17 ). To keep in tune with the Holy Ghost, we must keep our...

The Holy Ghost: A Stranger, Visitor, or Constant Companion?

in Coleen Baird, Ensign, 1977, June

... heads and are told by a representative of the Lord, “Receive the HolyHoly Ghost o Ghost.” All the rationalizing in the world cannot erase ... after searching the scriptures, that in order to have the companionship of the ur lives must be in conformance with ...

o, wow, thank you....i have some reading to do ^_^

Hi bohigirlsmiles;

Thank you for telling me about this site. :)

Well the first answer to you question is found in the first Article of Faith and in Doctrine and Covenants 130:22

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. (First Article of Faith)

The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us. (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22

So the Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead and is a personage of Spirit. He is an actual person with a specific mission. The Scriptures explain the part of his mission that you are experiencing.

But the Comforter, which is the bHoly Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: (John 15:26 KJV)

And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. (Moroni 10:5)

Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth; (Doctrine and Covenants 6:15)

One of the Holy Ghosts roles is to be a revelator; to testify to us and teach us, spirit to spirit, what is true. This is a role of the Holy Ghost that everyone no matter their beliefs or creeds can experience if they open themselves to it. For each of us this experience is different.

The most powerful witness of God's existence is the communication of the Holy Ghost.

is the holy ghost somewhere around us? also, is it the same as a holy spirit?

The Holy Ghost's influence is in as many places as needed, think of it like the light of the sun can be in many places but there is only one sun.

Many references to holy spirit, spirit of truth, etc. are referring to the Holy Ghost.

In reality, from my personal observational when viewing Him as a person, the answer is no. The Light of Christ is what surrounds us and the Holy Ghost is the means on how this is accomplish. Though, hard to grasp the full mechanics on the workings, when we feel the Holy Ghost or the electrical feelings that fills our measure of this mortal frame with overwhelming love or a conformation, it is His personal touch or manifested in our presence. Be fortunate since there are about 7-billion souls on this planet, among several planets that are undergoing telestial testing, that He made His presence known in confirming on what is being asked.

Spirit is used as Greek interchange word for Ghost in the New Testament. Same individual!

Edited by Hemidakota

If you want a metaphor I thought of yesterday, picture yourself in a cave. Why are you in a cave? You want to find some treasure, of course! ^_^ Caves, however, can be treacherous. Jagged rocks all over the place, dead ends, and so forth. What is needed is some way to find the path to the treasure among all this mess. Ask a spelunker and they'd tell you to bring a flashlight along. This is what I liken the Holy Ghost to. If you want to find out how to get from point A to point B, just shine the flashlight everywhere, find a good path, then act accordingly. Then, when you get to point B and want to go to point C, then follow the same procedure.

In essence, do not fear for the danger of the cave, but rejoice in the flashlight.

Holy Spirit = Holy Ghost. Same thing, different name.

The first thing to understand about the Holy Ghost / Holy Spirit is that He is a God. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, and His power and influence reaches everywhere. He is the third member of the Godhead: God the Father, God the Son Jesus Christ, God the Holy Ghost.

As for where the Holy Ghost is, I think that is best understood by comparing it to the Sun. He can speak to all of us and it doesn't matter where he is located, per se. His voice comes to anyone, all they need to do is "listen." We hear with our spirits, not with our physical senses. When he communicates with your spirit, it is usually a feeling. There are cases where he will speak in words, but usually it is powerful feelings.

Bodhi, at baptism, hands are laid on our head and we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, which is the promise that we can have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost with us throughout our lives when we strive to be obedient to our Heavenly Father and his commands. I wish you nothing but the best in your search. I know that if you are sincere and have faith in God, He will lead you.

Come here: Mormon.org - Home and listen to real people sharing their testimonies. The stories they share are special and personal to them, but are not unique. Many of us on this site could share our testimonies to you, as well. We can trust our Heavenly Father (you are really a daughter of God in a literal sense) that he will not lead us astray. Good luck with your search!

Incidentally, I recommend the movie "Contact."

Watch the moments when Palmer tries to explain "God" to Ellie, and then watch at the end when Ellie tries to explain her experience to the comittee.

It's one of my favotire movies. It has an awesome message.

Fantastic moments, no? The first time I was that last scene with Ellie and her trying to explain her experiences, I thought of Paul and Joseph Smith.

Your buddhist right? Im sure you meditate right? well you know the feeling you get when everything around you feels in place and you are at peace? well thats kinda how it feels when you know the holy ghost is with you, whether it is in your decisions, thoughts, and actions. Now think of how long it takes during meditation to reach "total enlightenment" now imagine that you can always have that, thats what it is like when you join the Church and you live correctly but its even better because you can actually be directed like the metaphorical flashlight littlewyvern is talking about, combine that with the metephorical map of the scriptures and with some searching you can find whatever it is you truly treasure

Your buddhist right? Im sure you meditate right? well you know the feeling you get when everything around you feels in place and you are at peace? well thats kinda how it feels when you know the holy ghost is with you, whether it is in your decisions, thoughts, and actions. Now think of how long it takes during meditation to reach "total enlightenment" now imagine that you can always have that, thats what it is like when you join the Church and you live correctly but its even better because you can actually be directed like the metaphorical flashlight littlewyvern is talking about, combine that with the metephorical map of the scriptures and with some searching you can find whatever it is you truly treasure

Yeah, when you're in a metaphorical cave you need a metaphorical flashlight to read a metaphorical map.

...metaphorically.

The Light of Christ is not the same thing as the Holy Ghost. The Light of Christ is given to everyone. it is the same as your consience, and tells you right from wrong. It leads us to truth, but does not testify of truth. It is not a person or being, but a universal influence given to all mankind. The Holy Ghost is different. He testifies of truth, and is only given to us permenantly through the laying on of hands when we are confirmed after baptism. Before we are given the gift of the Holy Ghost, we can ask for confirmation, and receive it through him, but after we have the gift, we can receive truth, as long as we are in tune, without even asking.

Here is some scripture study:

Topical Guide: Light of Christ

Topical Guide: Holy Ghost

Here is what the Bible Dictionary says:

The phrase “light of Christ” does not appear in the Bible, although the principles that apply to it are frequently mentioned therein. The precise phrase is found in Alma 28: 14, Moro. 7: 18, and D&C 88: 7. Biblical phrases that are sometimes synonymous to the term “light of Christ” are “spirit of the Lord” and “light of life” (see, for example, John 1: 4; John 8: 12). The “spirit of the Lord,” however, sometimes is used with reference to the Holy Ghost, and so must not be taken in every case as having reference to the light of Christ.

The light of Christ is just what the words imply: enlightenment, knowledge, and an uplifting, ennobling, persevering influence that comes upon mankind because of Jesus Christ. For instance, Christ is “the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world” (D&C 93: 2; John 1: 9). The light of Christ fills the “immensity of space” and is the means by which Christ is able to be “in all things, and is through all things, and is round about all things.” It “giveth life to all things” and is “the law by which all things are governed.” It is also “the light that quickeneth” man’s understanding (see D&C 88: 6-13, 41). In this manner, the light of Christ is related to man’s conscience and tells him right from wrong (cf. Moro. 7: 12-19).

The light of Christ should not be confused with the personage of the Holy Ghost, for the light of Christ is not a personage at all. Its influence is preliminary to and preparatory to one’s receiving the Holy Ghost. The light of Christ will lead the honest soul who “hearkeneth to the voice” to find the true gospel and the true Church and thereby receive the Holy Ghost (see D&C 84: 46-48). Additional references are Alma 19: 6; Alma 26: 3; D&C 20: 27.

Bible Dictionary: Light of Christ

Edited by bytebear

help me, please.....

From my experience: the Holy Ghost is like opening a door in a dark room to an outside with the sun shining. As first the light is almost painful but once you get use to the light you experience one or many Ah ha's. This is because you now see better so many things that were in the dark room and because you seem them better you are so much more aware of how you relate to them they relate to each other and so on.

And then there is the bright outside - which you never really knew even existed but add to your understanding of things and brings great awareness.

And then you begin to understand that you only see a tiny bit of outside - that there are forests and deserts and mountains and valleys and rivers and lakes and oceans and then you realize that there is a solar system and galaxies and vast reaches of the universe and you have only begun to become aware. And then you experience love and kindness and you begin to realize that there is a whole universe of things that are not touched or seen. And again you become aware and wonder how great it is to ever become aware to things that have no end.

And when you think of how good and how great it is to be aware and your joy overflows then you know what it is to experience the influence of the Holy Ghost.

Jesus said that if you drink of the water of life you will never thirst but for me I thirst the more.

The Traveler

I read above that you are a Buddhist, and as such, perhaps a more Eastern look at the trinity of "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost" is in order; they are synonymous with the "Sat, Tat, and Aum" of the Eastern faiths such as Hinduism and Buddhism, only the outward manifestations are different.

Sat, Tat, Aum: ‘For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son’. – John 5:22. ‘No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him’. – John 1:18. ‘Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father’. – John 14:12. ‘But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said to you’. – John 14:26. These Biblical words refer to the threefold nature of God as Father, Son, Holy Ghost (Sat, Tat, Aum in the Hindu scriptures). God the Father is the Absolute, Unmanifested, existing beyond vibratory creation. God the Son is the Christ Consciousness (Brahma or Kutastha Chaitanya) existing within vibratory creation; this Christ Consciousness is the ‘only begotten’ or sole reflection of the Uncreated Infinite. Its outward manifestation or ‘witness’ is Aum or Holy Ghost, the divine, creative, invisible power which structures all creation through vibration. Aum the blissful Comforter is heard in meditation and reveals to the devotee the ultimate Truth’. (Autobiography of a Yogi (The Original 1946 First Edition) by Paramhansa Yogananda;Chapter:14:‘An Experience in Cosmic Consciousness’: (www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/chap14/chap14.html).