need more scripture choices.

richlittell

This isn't exactly a gospel topic (but is gospel related) nor a general discussion so wasn't sure where to post.

Is there anyone else, or is it just me, who gets tired of lugging around the quad (or the triple along with the super thick Bible)?

Is there a suggestion box for the church for new ideas?

Has anyone thought about all the paper wasted on the BOM index, which is duplicated in the TG index? Who uses their topical guide on Sunday at church; by church time, I've done all that, I just need the standard works for reference in class.

If the Bible dictionary and Topical Guide was a single book separate from the Bible and BOM, I wouldn't have to flip back and forth through my quad. For me, I"d rather have the Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide for what they are--reference books. I'd still use them a lot (as I do now), but could handle my books easier if they were all separate.

I tried to find different combinations of our works for sale but couldn't.

Why can't we have as separate books:

LDS King James Bible (as one book), --WITHOUT the Bible dictionary and Topical Guide

The Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide (as one book)

The triple combination (with or without the index, as one book)

and finally, maybe a single book with KJ Bible and Triple WITHOUT any Dictionary, Topical Guide, or Index, for carrying to church on Sunday, or for people who travel or like to carry their scriptures around.

I actually took my quad and sliced it with a razor to separate out the Bible Dictionary/Topical Guide, then took them to a book shop and paperback bound them. I use them exactly the same, only, I have more freedom about what and when I want to carry something. It's also more comfortable way of reading.

Any thoughts on this? (this is not really important, but just something that has bugged me for a while and wonder if anyone else has felt the same way)

If you don't need the Index/Topical Guide/Bible Dictionary just get a pocket BoM (distribution center) and a pocket KJV (any decent christian book store will have one), you can also get the D&C as a seperate book in softcover here. At least I think you can, it lists the pages at only 25, so that either isn't all of the D&C or they made a mistake.

End result:

Pocket Bible & Book of Mormon

Possible Doctrine and Covenants in soft cover.

I think you are out of luck with the PoG price though.

Of course if you just got an economy triple and a pocket Bible that would cut down on what you are carrying around to one book in hand and one in pocket and only run you like $15.

The military version is a complete pocket size scriptures except the Old Testament.

That I did not know. I knew there was a pocket Book of Mormon and a pocket New Testament didn't know the D&C and Pearl of Great Price were also available.

Sheesh, I would have killed for those (okay, not really) on my mission.

great advice.

I can tell some of you U.S./wealthy people are bit spoiled with your electronic things, the other half of the LDS world can't always afford such gadgets ( I have an old pda but it's so slow loading and if I have to leave my current reading to cross-reference something or what have you, it's a nightmare).

I thought about the KJV non-lds, but then I wouldn't have the LDS footnotes and cross-references.

Military/pocket versions are out, I have a hard enough time at my age reading normal size.

And I do use the Dictionary/TG a LOT, but just want the option of not toting it around all the time as part of the quad or attached to the KJV. I also think it's swell to have my Dict./TG sitting on the table while I read the LDS-KJV or the BOM. I can keep each book open without flipping back and forth through a single quad.

I also think it's more comfortable to be able to read without holding a brick in my hands.

But maybe it's just me, I'm kinda' weird anyway.

great advice.

I can tell some of you U.S./wealthy people are bit spoiled with your electronic things, the other half of the LDS world can't always afford such gadgets ( I have an old pda but it's so slow loading and if I have to leave my current reading to cross-reference something or what have you, it's a nightmare).

I thought about the KJV non-lds, but then I wouldn't have the LDS footnotes and cross-references.

Military/pocket versions are out, I have a hard enough time at my age reading normal size.

And I do use the Dictionary/TG a LOT, but just want the option of not toting it around all the time as part of the quad or attached to the KJV. I also think it's swell to have my Dict./TG sitting on the table while I read the LDS-KJV or the BOM. I can keep each book open without flipping back and forth through a single quad.

I also think it's more comfortable to be able to read without holding a brick in my hands.

But maybe it's just me, I'm kinda' weird anyway.

I do not have those gadgets....I enjoy my Bible Dictionary and Topical guide.....sometimes when I hear talks and sometimes when I hear comments in class I like to research and make sure what was said is accurate....but thats just me...

This isn't exactly a gospel topic (but is gospel related) nor a general discussion so wasn't sure where to post.

Is there anyone else, or is it just me, who gets tired of lugging around the quad (or the triple along with the super thick Bible)?

Is there a suggestion box for the church for new ideas?

Has anyone thought about all the paper wasted on the BOM index, which is duplicated in the TG index? Who uses their topical guide on Sunday at church; by church time, I've done all that, I just need the standard works for reference in class.

If the Bible dictionary and Topical Guide was a single book separate from the Bible and BOM, I wouldn't have to flip back and forth through my quad. For me, I"d rather have the Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide for what they are--reference books. I'd still use them a lot (as I do now), but could handle my books easier if they were all separate.

I tried to find different combinations of our works for sale but couldn't.

Why can't we have as separate books:

LDS King James Bible (as one book), --WITHOUT the Bible dictionary and Topical Guide

The Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide (as one book)

The triple combination (with or without the index, as one book)

and finally, maybe a single book with KJ Bible and Triple WITHOUT any Dictionary, Topical Guide, or Index, for carrying to church on Sunday, or for people who travel or like to carry their scriptures around.

I actually took my quad and sliced it with a razor to separate out the Bible Dictionary/Topical Guide, then took them to a book shop and paperback bound them. I use them exactly the same, only, I have more freedom about what and when I want to carry something. It's also more comfortable way of reading.

Any thoughts on this? (this is not really important, but just something that has bugged me for a while and wonder if anyone else has felt the same way)

The reason is so that we can control the copyright to the scriptures we use and not have to rely on outside publishers.

The Traveler

I think having the Bible Dictionary as a seperate book is a good idea but I would leave the topical guide in there. I'd hate to have to pull out the other book just to look up subjects and try and juggle books as I flip back and forth. God gave me ten fingers and I usually use then all as bookmarks when researching.

God gave me ten fingers and I usually use then all as bookmarks when researching.

Bookmarks, one per book (Triple, OT and NT) doesn't cut it, that why when I bought my scriptures I also bought extra of those wonderful ribbons. Fingers do have their advantages though, it tends to be easier to remember index finger = first scripture I looked up rather then ribbon #3. I suppose you could use different colored one and be the first on the block to own a set of scriptures of many colors.

Be happy with your quad. Due to copyright reasons we don´t have it in german.

We all would love to have it but we must take the Bible and the triple.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Does the LDS-KJV of the Bible in German have the Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary?

I sure hope so.

BTW, I don't want anyone missing my point. I LOVE the Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide and in fact, use them almost every time I open the scriptures.

I was only wondering if others ever felt like there should be other "packaging" options in how they are combined and delivered--more choices, that's all.

When I first joined the church so many years ago, I was astonished at the thoroughness and ease of use of the Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary. So much suddenly came into perspective after all my previous years of Bible study (b4 I converted). You can get such a deeper and broader perspective when you have, and look through, all those footnotes and cross-references. Truthfully, I probably came to a greater understanding of the gospel and it's principles, the relation of Old Test. scriptures to New Test./BOM, and vice-versa, and an understanding of our core doctrines, through my study of the scriptures with the aid of the Bible Dictionary and Topical Guide than I ever got from our Sunday School lessons or even General Conference talks.

Like I said, the topic is NOT that important, however, since we should be using our scriptures on a daily basis, I was thinking it should be a comfortable experience. I was thinking about how some are comfortable with the quad, some with the Bible and Triple, and was thinking some might be even more comfortable, as I am , with mine separated out so I don't have to lug the whole quad around or a super fat LDS KJV every time I want to take my scripture somewhere. (and I do appreciate electronic gadgets, but unfortunately, that's just not an option for the other half of the LDS world.)

Love My Scriptures and Reference materials!

Hold to the rod!

cheers.

I did understand what you meant - in fact for a long time I used my german

triple, my german bible and the english King James because of the topical guide.

Due to copyright issues we don´t have a bible from our church. We have to

use the ecumenical so called "Unification-Translation" although i would prefer

the Luther-bible because it´s similar to the King James Bible.

You are right when you say it would be fine to have more options. At the moment,

as the bible is vetry thick and the triple with the topical guide is nearly as thick as

the bible it suits for me and my bag. If I would have an option - I would prefer the

quad. In german we have the stickers that we can glue into the scriptures, but the

round cutted grips in the english version are much better, because the stickers are

fissuring the pages.

Due to copyright issues we don´t have a bible from our church. We have to

use the ecumenical so called "Unification-Translation" although i would prefer

the Luther-bible because it´s similar to the King James Bible....

Roland,

Is German your native language? If so, your written English is excellent! (I'm an English Professor in Taiwan, so I notice these things).

I've just always assumed where there was a translated Book of Mormon, there would also be available some equivalent of the LDS-KJV authorized by our church in each language.

Do you mean there is no German LDS-KJV Bible? And that would mean no Topical Guide or Bible Dictionary in German?

Is the church working on that?

I'm not sure how difficult it is for you to get, and I'm not sure how comfortable you are with English, but I'd be more than happy to send you, as a gift, an English quad or any other thing you desire.

Edited by richlittell

Roland, Is German your native language?

Do you mean there is no German LDS-KJV Bible?

And that would mean no Topical Guide or Bible Dictionary in German?

Is the church working on that?

...but I'd be more than happy to send you, as a gift, an English quad

or any other thing you desire.

Dear richlittell,

yes - german is my native language. I joined english lessons at school for six years.

1977 the missionaries found me and I enjoyed the opportunity to speak english with

them as often as possible.

I think there is no german version of the king James, because the King James seems

to be a translation of the "Luther Bible". Unfortunately some german institutes (?) own

the copyright of it. Therefore our church has no allowance to issue an own german

version. That´s the reason why even our internet country side shows only BOM, D&C,

PoGP and the scripture guide.

When I joined the church I took a bible of the JW and cutted out the reference guide.

It was useful for the beginning. Later on I received a "missionaries pal". Thereafter

I bought the english King James Version published by the church in 1979 with the

"Topical Guide" and "Bible Dictionary".

When I was in SLC in 2002 and 2005 I bought the quad (thank you for your kind offer)

for my daughter who is on mission at Temple Square since June 2008 (at the moment

outbound at Mount Pleasant / Michigan).

Since 2003 we use the triple with a scripture guide. This scripture guide is an extract

from "Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary" I just conpared the scripture guide with the

"Topical Guide" and the "Bible Dictionary". It includes the same scripture references

but the comments are much shorter.

BTW the wife (Jo Ping Wang) of my former bishop comes also from Taiwan. Maybe

you know her.

Have a nice day.

Roland

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of scripture options of having the Bible Dictionary as a separate book, if that ever happens, then I suggest having a grammar guide added to it. Most words in the Bible are old, and not used, or even used now in the opposite way than what the Bible uses the words. For example, Thee, Thou, and Thine, most all the animal names, are different than what they are today. I also would like to have Guide to the Scriptures added as well, you can find it online here: Guide to the Scriptures