Can I get my LDS neighbors to be kind?

Rosemerry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barking is NOT a problem--the dog is silent, listless.

This tells me that the dog is ill and/or abused. Call one of the local Vets and find out if there is an animal rights advocate. If there is tell them about the dog.

What breed of dog is it? Just curious.

Thanks for the kind words, prospectmom, and the good article, HE--I appreciate you finding that for me.

Maureen--any further "telling" to anyone would result in resentment, I would LOVE to flat out publicly humiliate these people but I know it would not help and might hurt the dog.

Believe me, I have tried to figure many many angles to "get to" them, but glad I have not (yet) acted on any. My righteous indignation flares up regularly, though!

azaware--yes, there is a fence but dog can tunnel under. They have said for 7 years (age of dog) they will secure the yard but never have. Buy them a doghouse? They have new home, adorable clothes on toddlers, recent vacation, new outdoor barbecue. As for buying the dog--if I wanted a dog, I would have a dog, believe me! I've felt guilty, but am trying to remember that whatever happens to the dog is 100% result of owner's behavior, not mine! I do know there are 2 sides to every story--because I realized this might come to public/legal attention, I have carefully kept non-exaggerated records. For what it's worth, I've known many many dogs belonging to many many people--have never had any cause to think twice about their welfare.

Animal neglect is not just mean, it's illegal--and it's illegal BECAUSE it's mean.

In this case it's just not mean enough. Truly lousy situation.

Yeah as pretty much everyone has said, the appropriate legal organization would be the best bet.

I have two views on this subject. If you're going to have an animal you better be willing and able to take care of it.

Second the welfare of animals is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. There are people still dying from starvation around the world. Water sources are still being polluted. I think we would be better off if we devoted our time to bigger problems instead of making sure of the comfort of someone's pet. After we make sure all people in the world have enough food, a good home, clothing and an education; then we can worry about making sure every pet has enough food and a good home.

Sorry, if that offends anyone. I just thing there are more immediate problems in the world.

Yes, ADoyle--just today I have been reading -- California limits, and a few other states, several cities. It looks like 2 or 3 hours is the limit, and some places NO CHAINS is the law. There's an organization called "Dogs Deserve Better" with tons of info & links on the subject.

How nice to read that whole state legislatures agree that dogs shouldn't be chained.

p.s. I could EAT that sweet avatar!

Different people come from different backgrounds, and some people will never change. Sometimes they do though. For example, my grandparents were farmers they lived by the rule that all animals stay outside. Because of this they did not allow any pets inside their house until just a few years ago when my grandma bought a Maltese. However this was after many years of my mother talking to them about the way they treated their dogs. Many, many years.

Unfortunately people often tend to live the way they were taught, and if they grew up with parents that insisted that their dogs stay outside then chances are that is how they are going to treat their dog. My husband grew up that way and when we got married I told him that when we got a dog it would be inside because that is how I was raised. He was a bit resistant but when I was firm on it he gave in.

I also have worked as a groomer and I have seen things that would make an animal lover sick. But the truth of the matter is, if the animal is not yours and the owner is not technically breaking the law there is really little you can do. However, if you are especially worried about it you could express your concern for the dog's health and then offer to help out, such as give it walks or refill it's water if you notice that it has turned green. Yes it is not your responsibility but it sounds like your neighbors are a bit lazy when it comes to keeping a pet.

deseretgov--yes, I know exactly what you mean, but I also look at it this way--

There's so much horribleness in the world-- (I'm freaking over the fact that every other media word is "torture" these days)--

SO-- Why in the world would you want to ADD to the suffering on earth by making your little family pet live a rotten, lonely life??

What part of being on a chain all day do they think the dog LIKES??

Second the welfare of animals is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I think it could be said that any number of things are "insignificant" in the grand scheme of things. To me, however, the welfare of a living, breathing, dependant anything is significant.

What I wonder, is why even have the dog if they do not interact at all with it?

I think it could be said that any number of things are "insignificant" in the grand scheme of things. To me, however, the welfare of a living, breathing, dependant anything is significant.

What I wonder, is why even have the dog if they do not interact at all with it?

I agree with you, which is part of why we keep our dogs inside, if the dog is right there with you, walking up to be petted and loved, it is difficult to forget to interact with it. The problem I see though is that there are many people who get pets just to have a pet and don't really look into what is involved in owning one. This often results in the pet being neglected because the owner doesn't really know how to take care of the animal. It is not a malicious behavior but rather a stupid behavior. The person did not do their homework and is taking the lazy route, but the problem is that they are dealing with a living, breathing creature.

Different people come from different backgrounds, and some people will never change. Sometimes they do though. For example, my grandparents were farmers they lived by the rule that all animals stay outside. Because of this they did not allow any pets inside their house until just a few years ago when my grandma bought a Maltese. However this was after many years of my mother talking to them about the way they treated their dogs. Many, many years.

You know the situation better than I ever will, but depending on the breed of the dog and where you live its perfectly fine to not let the dog in the house (same with cats for that matter), they have fur for a reason. Now of course if you live in Fairbanks you can't leave your hairless pooch outside in -40 (unless it has a kickin' doghouse) or if you live in Flagstaff you can't leave a malamute outside at 110 F but there are circumstances where not letting the dog in the house is perfectly fine.

Now the situation in the OP doesn't sound like that, but I just felt like sayin'.

Information from the Humane Society of Utah:

COMPLAINTS WE HANDLE WITH PROPER EVIDENCE AND/OR WITNESSES

11) Complaints related to an animal owner failing to make an animal an active part of the owner's family, failing to play with the animal, failing to exercise the animal, chaining the animal in the yard and mentally ignoring the animal. (Utah's Legislature has structured our cruelty laws to only provide for the physical needs of an animal's care. We can, however, provide HSU's handouts pertaining to these issues to our complainants so that they can give the handouts to, or leave them for, the animal owner for their hopeful enlightenment.)

WHAT DO WE HANDLE?

M.

Another thing to point out is this; studies have shown that people who are excessively cruel to animals are at risk for becoming a danger to other human beings.

For that reason alone I am reluctant to be around people who are mean to animals. If they are willing to treat dogs like that, who is to say how they would treat a person?

Not to mention the poor values they are instilling in their children by teaching them that disrespecting one of heavenly father's creatures is acceptable.

If I were their neighbor, the dog would have "run away" by now. But then, I lack a lot of the aforementioned "values" myself. :lol:

Wow so many helpful & heartfelt responses --

Rachelle--I hear you yes yes the dog just might have "run away" if the owner's yard were not in full view of mine. Believe me, many many scenarios have crossed my mind. And yes, the kids now think it's OK to buy a puppy, when it matures let it rot on a rope in backyard for the rest of its life.

Maureen--this was EXTREMELY helpful--I thank you, and know better where to go from here.

Truegrits-- There is no mystery, I have spoken to them many times about the dog, they know I disapprove.

Dravin--yes, dogs are way tougher than I'll ever know. But just one example, I have seen this dog FOR 6 DAYS in a row, put out at 930am temps in the 20s, taken in at 10pm temps in the 20s. High for day 34 degrees. NO doghouse, just curled up tightly on a flattened cushion--no top, no sides. Yeah, she survives, but this is the family pet??

Tarnished--I was afraid of dogs as a child, but now that I know them I sure wish people were *half* as decent...your posts hearten me!

applepansy-- the new Utah laws now make it a felony to torture or abuse animals, but unfortunately it's perfectly legal to leave your dog alone 24/7 in the backyard on a rope.

Not to mention the poor values they are instilling in their children by teaching them that disrespecting one of heavenly father's creatures is acceptable.

No disrepect intended but I wonder if this applies to all God' creatures such as flies, mice, spiders, and other creatures we term as "pests." Or does it just apply to the cute, fuzzy ones. I just bring this up because most people I know, while they hate people being cruel to dogs, they have no problem squishing a spider or putting out mouse traps.

Dravin--yes, dogs are way tougher than I'll ever know. But just one example, I have seen this dog FOR 6 DAYS in a row, put out at 930am temps in the 20s, taken in at 10pm temps in the 20s. High for day 34 degrees. NO doghouse, just curled up tightly on a flattened cushion--no top, no sides. Yeah, she survives, but this is the family pet??

Oh, I know it doesn't fit the situation you're finding, there was just talk about not letting dogs in the house ever, I was just pointing out that there is nothing wrong with that given certain situations. Such as the dog being perfectly adapted to the weather (and having shelter). Not playing/interacting with it, watering it and feeding it are issues independent of letting it in the house or not.

I can't remember who said it but there is a saying that goes something like "Until we learn to stop brutalizing animals we will not stop brutalizing each other." All life has value ... except maybe in our throw away society. A puppy is great when it is cute and cuddly but when it grows and is not longer cute then it gets at best shoved in the back yard alone. Dogs (becuase this thread is about a dog) are pack animals they do best when they have companions, they set up a family system with an alpha female and male, they do not like being alone and it is cruel to leave them on their own for long periods of time. An dog alone either suffers mentally and emotionally or gets into serious trouble looking for attention.

This treatment of animals extends into human treatment as well. What about the elderly that are of no more use or are a burden to family and are dumped in nursing homes and left alone? Life has value.

This little spirit needs someone to speak for it ... poor baby. And I feel guilty because my dogs have to stay home while I work ... even with their fluffy beds, radio, buddies, toys and free run of their in door/out door heated kennel.

JMHO mice carry disease ... if they are in a home they need to be trapped.

JMHO x2 raw diet is very popular right now and dogs do very well on it if one has the time and the resources to do it correctly ... it in no way makes them a danger to small children or anyone else for that matter ... it is just a more natural form of diet.

JMHO x2 raw diet is very popular right now and dogs do very well on it if one has the time and the resources to do it correctly ... it in no way makes them a danger to small children or anyone else for that matter ... it is just a more natural form of diet.

I just giggle that there is something called a BARF diet based on this idea. No seriously: BARF Diet - Healthy & Natural Raw Food For Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Care Food & Nutrition Products Supply Online

I just giggle that there is something called a BARF diet based on this idea. No seriously: BARF Diet - Healthy & Natural Raw Food For Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Care Food & Nutrition Products Supply Online

I can't even look at the stuff. Want a bigger giggle???? A friend feeds her dogs exclusively raw diet ... her cats too .... get this ... you can order ground mouse! :eek: That is just so wrong. Her cats wouldn't touch it!!!!