Gilbert coffee shops get business despite LDS caffeine ban

Hemidakota

Humor of the day of poor journalism in not researching the church stance on Caffeine, whether or not it is banned. ^_^

EXCERPT: In a town where an estimated 15 percent of the population is not allowed to drink coffee, how do coffee shops fare?

It's mixed, say some members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which forbids the consumption of caffeine.

Sources for caffeinated beverages abound: coffee can be picked up at most gas stations and fast-food restaurants. But far fewer places sell those drinks exclusively - and a place to consume them.

Article link: Gilbert coffee shops get business despite LDS caffeine ban

Is 15% really a significant number? I imagine at least if not more than 15% of most populations can't consume alcohol in the US because they aren't 21, how do bars fare? If 'only' 85% of your population isn't automatically adverse to one of your major products spells doom and gloom how do niche stores fair? I bet you comic stores (and table top gaming stores for that matter) get by on less than 85% of the population.

Besides, even if I did drink coffee I wouldn't go to Starbucks, last I checked they had outrageous prices, though admittedly that was in the Seattle Airport. :)

Humor of the day of poor journalism in not researching the church stance on Caffeine, whether or not it is banned. ^_^

EXCERPT: In a town where an estimated 15 percent of the population is not allowed to drink coffee, how do coffee shops fare?

It's mixed, say some members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which forbids the consumption of caffeine.

Sources for caffeinated beverages abound: coffee can be picked up at most gas stations and fast-food restaurants. But far fewer places sell those drinks exclusively - and a place to consume them.

Article link: Gilbert coffee shops get business despite LDS caffeine ban

It is obviously because they sell decaf ^_^

I think this article is pretty off. It says "In Salt Lake City, the headquarters of the LDS church, there are 10 Starbucks stores. In Provo, Utah, where Brigham Young University is located, there are none." But on our frequent road trips from California to Utah to visit family, we always stop at the Starbucks at University Mall, so I know there is at least one Starbucks in Provo.

By the way, I get a non-fat steamer with sugar free vanilla or hazelnut. No coffee, no sugar, no fat and lots of wholesome milk. The perfect Mormon drink.

I think this article is pretty off. It says "In Salt Lake City, the headquarters of the LDS church, there are 10 Starbucks stores. In Provo, Utah, where Brigham Young University is located, there are none." But on our frequent road trips from California to Utah to visit family, we always stop at the Starbucks at University Mall, so I know there is at least one Starbucks in Provo.

I think University Mall is in Orem.

If you're looking for coffee, there are better places than Starbucks, especially in Canada. I prefer going to Tim Horton's, even MacDonald's has better coffee.

Oh easy now, McDonald's? Maybe i'm bias to Starbucks, but i hate McDonald's coffee. Everyone has their own favorite for sure, but it would be very easy for me to give up coffee if I couldn't get my Starbucks.

Ok, so the author of the article is being a bit nit-picky. Isn't it called "University Mall" because of its proximity to BYU?

The author perhaps did not know that Orem is just a suburb of Provo. :D

I imagine decaf mocha-latees are popular at that Starbucks. I could also imagine the slogan, "Got decaf lattes?" is popular around that mall.

Ok, so the author of the article is being a bit nit-picky. Isn't it called "University Mall" because of its proximity to BYU?

I doubt it's nitpicking. I would venture to guess that the author is not intimately familiar with the Provo/Orem area, and probably just looked in a phone book or an online Starbucks locater to determine that Provo lacked such shops.

By the way, I get a non-fat steamer with sugar free vanilla or hazelnut. No coffee, no sugar, no fat and lots of wholesome milk. The perfect Mormon drink.

That's what my sister orders as well.