Pay for Prayers

yenni

Nabbed from News of the Weird

The Web site InformationAgePrayer.com offers, for people too busy to speak to God themselves, a daily service of invocations (using voice-synthesizing software) for Catholics, Protestants, Jews or Muslims. Starting each day "reciting" the Lord's Prayer (or the Islamic Fajr) is $3.95 a month. Hail Marys are 70 cents a day for 10. A Complete Rosary Package is $49.95 a month. Each prayer is voiced individually, according to a March report on LiveScience.com, with the subscriber's name on the screen, and for Muslim prayers, the computer's speakers point toward Mecca. [LiveScience.com, 3-25-09]

Thoughts on this?

Guest missingsomething

Nabbed from News of the Weird

Thoughts on this?

This will get you no where. I dont believe any good can come to someone who is "too busy" to pray for themselves. Without the sincerity of prayer, the words are pointless.

It's priestcraft; it's blasphemy; it's despicable sin and those who run these services are in serious danger of hellfire- especially if they have any inkling of how the kingdom of God operates.

I can't really find the words to paint this as dark as I think it is.

Yeh I have thoughts on this. It's ridiculous, absurd, bizarre, contemptible, ludicrous, preposterous, outrageous, foolish, and laughable.

Did I say I think it's stupid?

Reminds me of "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams.

The Electric Monk was a labour-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video recorder. Dishwashers washed tedious dishes for you, thus saving you the bother of washing them yourself, video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving you the bother of looking at it yourself; Electric Monks believed things for you, thus saving you what was becoming an increasingly onerous task, that of believing all the things the world expected you to believe.

So the Monks were built with an eye for originality of design and also for practical horse-riding ability. This was important. People, and indeed things, looked more sincere on a horse. So two legs were held to be both more suitable and cheaper than the more normal primes of seventeen, nineteen or twenty-three; the skin the Monks were given was pinkish-looking instead of purple, smooth and soft instead of crenellated. They were also restricted to just the one mouth and nose, but were given instead an additional eye, making for a grand total of two. A strange-looking creature indeed. But truly excellent at believing the most preposterous things.

Dang Faded, you stole my post. However you did error in your quote, there is much between the first paragraph and the second, thus you need an elipse...

It is probably good we are married as we think so much alike.

This service reminds me a whole lot of the Electronic Monk, something to pray for you so that you do not have to spend your time praying. It is ridiculous, but the fact that it is out there means there are people who are just lazy enough to use it. Saddening.

Dang Faded, you stole my post. However you did error in your quote, there is much between the first paragraph and the second, thus you need an elipse...

It is probably good we are married as we think so much alike.

This service reminds me a whole lot of the Electronic Monk, something to pray for you so that you do not have to spend your time praying. It is ridiculous, but the fact that it is out there means there are people who are just lazy enough to use it. Saddening.

If you can offer up a more complete version of Douglas Adams' description of the Electronic Monk, by all means do so. It's great stuff!!

• 3 weeks later...

The Catholics have cloistered nuns who do nothing but pray for other people all day long. My grandmother had monthly donations to the cloistered nuns to pray for my "lost soul" in the hopes that I will find my way back to the Catholic faith. I guess it's not too different from the electronic version...

• 2 months later...

Wow!!! Im missing a golden opportunity here. Ok, for $19.95 you can get my absolution for your sins, but wait, dont call yet. For just $10.00 more I will include a pet. I know that you know your dog or can has been bad. Add just that little $10.00 and get them out of hell. This offer is good in all fifty states and three foreign countries. Those countries always include the one you are in if you are not in the US.

If you act now, I will include a small piece of paper that I personally have ripped from my spiral binder just for you. Call now operators are standing by. All major credit cards accepted. Cash if in Euros will be based on the daily value. Call now, salvation is waiting and so are the operators.

The Catholics have cloistered nuns who do nothing but pray for other people all day long. My grandmother had monthly donations to the cloistered nuns to pray for my "lost soul" in the hopes that I will find my way back to the Catholic faith. I guess it's not too different from the electronic version...

Well, excepting that the good nuns had devoted their lives to prayer and your grandmother's donation was a voluntary act of charity. The sincerity of the prayers of those who require payment before they will pray for you is in serious question.

So the act of buying the prayers is what is at issue, not that one person is praying for another.