Maine becomes 5th state to approve gay marriage

bytor2112

Maine’s Democratic governor, John Baldacci, has signed a recently passed bill approving gay marriage, making it the fifth state to approve the practice, the Associated Press reports.

New Hampshire legislators are also poised to send a gay marriage bill to their governor, who hasn’t indicated whether he’ll sign it. If he does, Rhode Island would be New England's sole holdout, the AP notes.

Sigh

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the tide is slowly turning. Eventuallly those fighting against legalizaing gay marriage will realize they're fighting a losing battle, just like those who fought for slavery, prohibition, and resisted the civil rights movement of the 60s. I can be morally against something yet still allow people their agency.

Just another example how our country is moving away from the standards and morals that made it so great. All we can really do is pray that our church leaders will stand their ground and not follow what is "politically correct" at the time. It has been proven over the last few months that "we the people" no longer have a voice.

Looks like the tide is slowly turning. Eventuallly those fighting against legalizaing gay marriage will realize they're fighting a losing battle, just like those who fought for slavery, prohibition, and resisted the civil rights movement of the 60s. I can be morally against something yet still allow people their agency.

I hate these comparisons. They cloud the real issues and distort the character of the people who oppose the movement. Not that this is a new political tactic........

I don't vote because something is popular and I don't change my moral position JUST because I might be in the minority -- as if the winners were always right.

You know, God allows people their agency WITHOUT giving everyone the highest degree of blessings.

I stand by the proclamation of the family and the preservation of traditional marriage in the legal parts of this nation. My votes will continue to reflect those values. BUT that doesn't mean I don't meet the opposition with compassionate agreement that any American deserves fair treatment under the law. I just disagree with how the opposition wants to go about doing it because of my religious convictions. I am sorry if that means I stand in disagreement with others, but that doesn't make me like those who beat slaves or oppressed black people and I kinda resent the implication. It actually makes me and everyone else VERY American. Catch my groove, dude?

I did note that in Vermont there were strong protections for people based on religion. Photographers would not have to take gay wedding photos, churches would not need to rent their facilities, etc. I'm hopeful that will lessen the sting and alleviate religious rights concerns. Stacie

That's good. These kind of regulations need to be put in place so that private businesses can't be forced to offer services to events they find morally objectionable- as has been done recently. Hopefully, laws like this can be implemented to avoid that.

You forgot to include those who fight against abortion, legalized drugs, and sex trades.

I did note that in Vermont there were strong protections for people based on religion. Photographers would not have to take gay wedding photos, churches would not need to rent their facilities, etc. I'm hopeful that will lessen the sting and alleviate religious rights concerns. Stacie

Those types of concerns form the crux of my opposition to gay marriage, and getting such assurances on a nationwide basis (along with a drastic overhaul of the benefits state and federal governments confer on married couples generally) would pretty much neutralize my opposition to gay marriage (barring further statements by the 1st Presidency and the Twelve, who I presume see further down this road than I do).

cofchristcousin, I cant believe you would suggest this. I know ur not LDS but if someone refused to serve you or whatever because of your religion, imagine how you would feel. Yet you are endorsing this behaviour against gay people. That angers and frustrates me as to peoples backward attitudes, but it also saddens me that alledged followers of Christ are so quick to judge and exclude.

I think, and hope gay marriage will be legaliized in every state one day, and accross the world. Its been legal here for years. We are more are more accepting of diversity in the U.K.

cofchristcousin, I cant believe you would suggest this. I know ur not LDS but if someone refused to serve you or whatever because of your religion, imagine how you would feel. Yet you are endorsing this behaviour against gay people. That angers and frustrates me as to peoples backward attitudes, but it also saddens me that alledged followers of Christ are so quick to judge and exclude.

I think, and hope gay marriage will be legaliized in every state one day, and accross the world. Its been legal here for years. We are more are more accepting of diversity in the U.K.

The concept of marriage licenses should be undone and replaced with civil unions, so far as the State is concerned. (Marriage should be purely a Holy Ceremony between the joined and their Creator--similar to Baptism.)

Best regards,

Kawazu

Soul_Searcher:

If you're Mormon, you've probably heard of this guy. You might be interested in heeding his words.

Thomas S. Monson: Examples of Righteousness

My young friends, be strong. The philosophies of men surround us. The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance. Do not be deceived; behind that facade is heartache, unhappiness, and pain. You know what is right and what is wrong, and no disguise, however appealing, can change that. The character of transgression remains the same.

I think, and hope gay marriage will be legaliized in every state one day, and accross the world. Its been legal here for years. We are more are more accepting of diversity in the U.K

I would be cautious of the things I hoped for......you may be judged accordingly one day. We all have a sacred duty to share the Gospel with our friends and neighbors and that includes the fact that homosexual activity is a sin and will ultimately prevent some of God's children from returning home to his presence. Better to not support acts that further encourage sinful behavior....don't you think?

I cry foul on this statement. This is the kind of argument that "spinners" make to convince people to denounce their moral standing.

Follow this:

Say, I am a Catholic or LDS doctor. My patient wants me to perform abortion. In the eyes of my God, I would go to hell for performing abortion because it is murder. But no, Soul_Searcher believes you have no choice but to go to hell because if you don't perform abortion you are BACKWARDS.

That ANGERS and FRUSTRATES ME!

Serving drinks is completely not the same as gay marriage or abortion. I wouldn't want to see a Jew to be forced to open their stores on Saturday or a Mormon to be forced to open their stores on Sunday to serve YOU. That remains our choice.

And I still don't see how the UK has gotten any advantage because of their "forward" ways. Meh.

I hold this view with considerable personal tension. My primary issue is that I want marriage civil protections in the hands of gays as soon as possible, with as little strife as possible. I also want people to not be so fearful of that. One of the major roadblocks to gay marriage is the fear that a person's religious beliefs would be compromised if they had to serve gay customers related to gay marriages. I know that in the US constitution only people have civil protections, not businesses. But people don't "get" that and will continue to vote against gay marriage equality on that foundation. I accept the religious/business equal accomodation exclusion as a gay Christian, so that gay families will gain other more urgent protections more quickly.

Edited by cofchristcousin

The concept of marriage licenses should be undone and replaced with civil unions, so far as the State is concerned. (Marriage should be purely a Holy Ceremony between the joined and their Creator--similar to Baptism.)

Best regards,

Kawazu

That would be my preference as well. But, I will support equality in the form of "marriage for all" or "civil unions for all" in whatever form it comes before me. I think the window to switch to civil unions is passing quickly. The tipping point where resistance to gay marriage falls is here. I'm sure there will be some backlash, but demographics show that gay marriage will soon be the norm.

I cry foul on this statement. This is the kind of argument that "spinners" make to convince people to denounce their moral standing.
Follow this:

Say, I am a Catholic or LDS doctor. My patient wants me to perform abortion. In the eyes of my God, I would go to hell for performing abortion because it is murder. But no, Soul_Searcher believes you have no choice but to go to hell because if you don't perform abortion you are BACKWARDS.

This is an entirely different situation as it actually involves a physical act. How can tolerating gay marriage/rights send you to hell? All it is is being acepting of others lifestyles. I cannot think of a situation where an LDS person would have to physically carry out an act relating to homosexuality that would compromise their beliefs, unless anyone else can?

The abortion thing is a separate issue, however, I have been involved in aortions myself. I was in theatres as a student, and although I obviously didnt perform the abortion myself, I was there, and assisted with it by getting equipment etc. I read the case notes for all the women and they all had different circumstances and situations. As nurses we cannot judge. I dont think the womens decisionto have an abortion ill affect MY eternal progression, even if I was assisting. It as their choice not mine.

Bottom line, LDS can disagree with homosexuality. Why do we have to keep bringing it up and pointing the finger as to their behaviour. Why can't we just be accepting like Christ was? Gay marriage here has not affected my life ONE BIT. Life carries on. We need to move on.

Why is it so hard to leave them alone to live their lives the way they choose and we live ours????

I cannot think of a situation where an LDS person would have to physically carry out an act relating to homosexuality that would compromise their beliefs, unless anyone else can?

If one forced an LDS Bishop to perform a marriage. I'm not aware of anywhere that does that (I've not looked though), but that is a worry some have. Of course if it came down to that I'm pretty sure the Church would just tell its Bishops not to preform marriages anymore.

Why is it so hard to leave them alone to live their lives the way they choose and we live ours????

Because the concern is that they won't. Not that they are going to break into my house and give my kids 'the gay' *insert scary music* or anything like that but stuff like the above example. Not entirely sure just how justified the concern is for the above kind of example though. As far as things like wedding photos, I don't have an issue with that. Likewise if I worked at Wal-Mart I'm not wracked with concern that I may ring up a condom that somebody is gonna use to break the Law of Chastity. However, if a Catholic Priest won't marry me unless I promise to raise my kids Catholic (IIRC, is the case, or at least promise to let my wife do so) I feel that's his prerogative.

Why can't we just be accepting like Christ was?

You mean love them and teach them that what they are doing is sinful and in no way encourage said behavior? Yep, we can do that.

Edited by Dravin

Bottom line, LDS can disagree with homosexuality. Why do we have to keep bringing it up and pointing the finger as to their behaviour. Why can't we just be accepting like Christ was? Gay marriage here has not affected my life ONE BIT. Life carries on. We need to move on.

Christ loves all people not because of what they do, but but because of who they are. I think it is a mischaracterization of the Savior to say that He accepts every lifestyle and so we should too. The scriptures are pretty clear that their are lots of "lifestyle" choices that are not acceptable to Him.

Loving people is what Christ is all about. But loving someone NEVER requires one to love everything they do and think and say.

And frankly, I don't care what they do in their personal lives. I wish them well and I would love to have them over for BBQ. But I can't call myself a proper citizen unless I vote my conscience. I have that responsibility to God first and to myself and my country next. I don't see the gay marriage movement trying to accept or make room for anyone else's values but their own. They have chosen an alternative value system and they are free to vote just as I am. And the will of people will be heard. And in the God will judge his people. All I can do is stand for what I believe is right and hope that maybe American's can learn better ways of working out their differences. And more than that I truly do wish that God's will be done in this country. I think then we will be the safest on all fronts.

Edited by Misshalfway

[

QUOTE=Dravin;364643]If one forced an LDS Bishop to perform a marriage. I'm not aware of anywhere that does that (I've not looked though), but that is a worry some have. Of course if it came down to that I'm pretty sure the Church would just tell its Bishops not to preform marriages anymore.

I seriously doubt that will happen. And if it did it would be rare. And the Bishope would refure. So whats the big deal?? Why would any gay couple want to be baptised into a church that doesnt accept them anyway??

Because the concern is that they won't.

That they wont leave you alone? Come on, for real???? I can go weeks, months without anything 'gay' coming into my life.

You mean love them and teach them that what they are doing is sinful and in no way encourage said behavior? Yep, we can do that.

Why not just the loving part?? Do you honestly think if you tell someone who is gay, 'you are sinning and going to hell' would be helpful?? Do you honestly think they will turn around and say, 'wow, you're right. I'll turn my back on my sexuality, partner, lifestyle, relationship,home etc and join a church that will only like me if I become what they want. where do I sign?'

Really??? Or is gay bashing just to make you feel better so you feel you've done the right thing?

Good news. Another state entering the 21st century.

I'm not going to weigh in on whether this is "progress" or not right now, but I think it should be pointed out that while a tiny handful of States have established official recognition of Gay Marriage, the vast majority of states have rushed to ban Gay Marriage. Both movements are occuring simultaneously, and Gay Marriage isn't exactly winning. Whether you think it's right or wrong, this is the voice of the people on a state by state basis:

Posted Image

Same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If one forced an LDS Bishop to perform a marriage. I'm not aware of anywhere that does that (I've not looked though), but that is a worry some have. Of course if it came down to that I'm pretty sure the Church would just tell its Bishops not to preform marriages anymore.

Because the concern is that they won't. Not that they are going to break into my house and give my kids 'the gay' *insert scary music* or anything like that but stuff like the above example. Not entirely sure just how justified the concern is for the above kind of example though. As far as things like wedding photos, I don't have an issue with that. Likewise if I worked at Wal-Mart I'm not wracked with concern that I may ring up a condom that somebody is gonna use to break the Law of Chastity. However, if a Catholic Priest won't marry me unless I promise to raise my kids Catholic (IIRC, is the case, or at least promise to let my wife do so) I feel that's his prerogative.

I can understand why you would tell me that if I came to your church. I don't understand why anyone cares to make or keep it illegal for 2 responsible adults from being "family" in the civil laws of the state. It seems to be based on fear, (As in A Gathering Storm) but those fears are dissipating for most people.