feeling the spirit

caspiancanwait

what does the spirit mean to you? how do you feel when the spirit is present, and how do you know that it is coming from God?

little background, I'm 20, was raised catholic and went to a catholic school up until junior high. I had a pretty rough childhood, father was an alcoholic and chose to not treat me right. I use to believe in God, and my church, but lost everything because of things going on at home. I felt ashamed, disgusted, betrayed, and alone. It's not that I didn't believe in God anymore, I just felt I was detached from his love and protection. I have grown to be a very introverted person, keeping all of this in for my entire life. I started to drink and smoke pot in 9th grade to help numb any type of emotion or memory, and have since grown a strong addiction to alcohol and various drugs. I've never been able to be close to anyone, be it friends or family. I don't know how to be in any type of relationship, it's too hard for me to trust anyone. In the past year or so I've turned to a friend that I have known for a couple years. She's LDS, and is the only person I have ever trusted enough to tell anything about my past to. She is so sweet and caring; and is just a genuinely good person. She is the reason I felt it was possible to retrieve my faith in God.

She invited me to start going to church with her, and I did. The very first time I went was a fast sunday, and the first thing she said was that she hoped it didn't freak me out. (I have since been to a couple of these, and I know that the same 2 or 3 people feel like they MUST bear their testimony every chance they can, I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about). Well, I wasn't freaked out. I listened carefully to each person bearing their testimony, and longed to feel the connection that they felt. Along with going to church, I also started to meet with the missionaries at my friend's house. The meetings were VERY awkward, and they often asked questions that I couldn't answer. I felt like meeting with them wasn't helping me out one bit, so I stopped. Since then I have not been the person I want to be. I am constantly flooded with emotions and memories from my past, I don't know how to deal with it other then alcohol and drugs. I have contacted my friend through e-mail explaining that I'm still trying to find my faith, but she doesn't know about my use. I'm too ashamed to tell her, I don't want her to feel like I'm not trying with this, because I'm doing my best. I've just never felt any relief other then this crap, even if it is only for a couple hours at a time. She has urged me to read the Book of Mormon, and says that she is confident that if I feel the spirit I can see a change in my life. She's also stated the importance of prayer, something I know nothing about. I prayed as a child, but I eventually stopped because I've never seen any use.

ok wow, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be, I'm sorry for those who have gotten this far. it's just a lot easier to share with people you don't know I guess. but my question still stands, what is it like to feel God's spirit? I feel that if I knew what it was, and actually FELT it, that it could change my life. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up without any change.

It feels like something I've always known but have forgotten from time to time. That's my view, others might feel different. God loves you, really and truly. He sent you here to learn and grow, and most important to go back to Him, but you've probably been told this before by your friend lol. Try to have a prayer in your heart as you go about your day. Sometimes I keep a running conversation with God, esp on days I really need support. I'm glad you found your way here, this is one of the nicest places I've seen on the web. Try going to mormon.org and LDS.org, I've spent hours just on the search functions, following my thoughts. I wish you well and hope you stay a while :D

Hello Caspian , I know the shame , and the sense of lonliness you speak of because of abuse. I too was abused in too many disgusting ways to speak of. And , I am a recent convert to the Church. So you ask , What does the Spirit feel like and what it is to me.

The Spirit is one of the Godhead and His mission is to show us the truth to help us to gain a testimony. Have you read the promise in Moroni 10:3-4? In this promise we are told to pray about the truth of the Book of Mormon. Now you also asked about prayer. All prayer is ,is talking to God as you talk to a good friend. There is no specific way to do it or secret formula. Just tell Him what's on your mind. And recovering from my abuse I learned that it's okay to become angry and yell at God. He does understand your pain. Heavenly Father has been there everytime you've gotten high or plastered. He may not like what your doing but He loves you very much! And , He has wept with you each time the pain has surfaced. You may have thought you were alone ... But , I testify to you He was there by your side! But, back to your question , What does it feel like???

It's a warm sense of knowing. When the Spirit reveals Himself to you , you have a sense of all is right with your world at that moment. It is really , really hard to put into mere words. It is something you must expierence first hand. All I can say is the promise in Moroni is true !!

Please remember that Heavenly Father is just waiting for you to run back to Him. His arms are opened wide waiting for you to come to Him! And, also you can come to Him as you are. You don't need the mask that we hide behind as abuse survivors. He knows everything and yet He still loves us. If you need to talk ever please PM me okay?? Your in my prayers.:bighug:

In appending to others before me, back in 1990, Errol R. Fish wrote an article called "Arrival of the Spirit". There are two elements he stressed immediately;

• Seeing Versus Perceiving

If we were visually seeing the arrival of the Holy Spirit, the expression "burning within the bosom" would seem reasonable, since we would have seen Spirit which looked like fire physically enter us. Then, if we could see inside our bodies (as if by X-ray vision), the Spirit-fire-would literally appear to be flaming inside us. There would be active fire, a "burning within the bosom," the Spirit of the Lord within us.

That presence of the Spirit is what the New Testament disciples experienced as they walked with the resurrected Savior on the road to Emmaus. Jesus had instructed them and later ate with them.

And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures? (Luke 24:31-32)

• Perceiving The Spirit Is A Skill

Learning new skills requires us to make use of capabilities that ordinarily lie dormant, and the beginning efforts can be puzzling.47However, learning the skill to recognize promptings of the Spirit is not all that difficult. In fact, it is so straightforward that the Lord expects every member of the Church to learn it. We're all expected to pray. Perceiving the Spirit is the second half of prayer.

As we pray, spirit becomes our servant, since it is the means by which we can converse with our Father in Heaven. We speak in words, verbally or mentally; and we also speak in the "language of our feelings"-all of which are conveyed into heaven by the Spirit. (See Rom. 8:26.) Answers are returned to us by means of that same Spirit. However, the medium of communication for the Spirit is not always conventional language. The Spirit is able to convey information to us in ways that are faster and more expansive than if it were limited to words. Skill is required to perceive those alternative ways. Our Father in Heaven often sends messages-by means of his Spirit-in the form of feelings or mental concepts. Perceiving such promptings of the Spirit is the skill which makes complete prayer possible.

Basically, there are three hallmarks that we can look for in order to recognize promptings of the Spirit. They are: (1) Physical sensations. (2) Feelings. (3) Thoughts and ideas.

Then he went on to explained the three main areas that we should learned about the Spirit and how its communicates with us personally.

I. Physical Sensations, The First Hallmark

Recognizing The Arrival

Varying Intensities

"The Wind Bloweth"

II. Feelings, The Second Hallmark

Feelings Of Joy

Another Approach

Sudden Strokes Of Ideas

Voice Of The Lord

Patriarchal Blessings

Dreams

Beyond Our Normal Ability

Feelings Of Peace

An Example Of Peace

Feelings Of Being Loved And Lovable

Other Feelings Prompted By The Spirit

III. Thoughts and Ideas, The Third Hallmark

Interesting how we put together what we learn by personal experiences over the years into a summary narrative format. ^_^

Not knowing where exactly you are at, I suggest asking your friend if she can find out if there's a local LDS Family Services program. They have an Addication Recovery Program, designed by both professionals and addicts, which is very powerful. The book is $5 (or free if you download it) and the meetings are free. You can learn more about it here: Addiction Recovery Program

Often, our addictions can actually be one of the key things that prevent us from feeling the peace of the Spirit. In other words, your alcohol and drug use may actually be a part of your problem. Yes, it makes you feel better for a moment, but robs you of the true peace Christ can give you.

She has urged me to read the Book of Mormon, and says that she is confident that if I feel the spirit I can see a change in my life. She's also stated the importance of prayer, something I know nothing about. I prayed as a child, but I eventually stopped because I've never seen any use.

ok wow, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be, I'm sorry for those who have gotten this far. it's just a lot easier to share with people you don't know I guess. but my question still stands, what is it like to feel God's spirit? I feel that if I knew what it was, and actually FELT it, that it could change my life. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up without any change.

Keys to feeling the Spirit? Well, it's like riding a bicycle I guess. Getting there is a great struggle the first time but once you learn it, you have an easier time reaching and communing with God thereafter.

Things to realize to help you get there:

1.) God is perfect.

2.) God is infinitely merciful and infinitely good. He is so good you cannot possible imagine it.

3.) God is literally your Father.

4.) You are literally his child.

5.) He loves you more than any earthly parent ever has.

6.) He wants to help you. He wants to communicate. He wants to help you become a better person. He is waiting for you to reach out.

7.) You have absolutely nothing to fear.

Believing those things is key. You must understand that God wants you to reach Him. Effort, persistance and faith are the key. Don't give up.

So what is it like to truly feel the Spirit of God? Wonderful. Some call it a burning or a tingling or an electric sensation. The reality is, you can't accurately describe it. I think the initial sensation may be a little different for each person. When I feel the Spirit, I can feel my heart beating. I feel it in my chest, in my head. I feel it in my whole body. When you have felt the Holy Spirit, it is a sensation that feels so right and feels so natural. It feels like you are feeling the right way for the first time in your life. There is a surging sensation sometimes. You feel more alive that you have ever felt before. The whole world feels sharper and clearer and it just feels right. When I feel the Spirit, I can think more clearly and my emotions are purer and clearer than at any other time in my life. Believe me when I say that when you feel the Spirit, you will know it.

thank you all for the responses..it seems like the only way I can find out for myself is through prayer. It's just that I don't know if I can do it at this point to be honest. One of the things I remember from the missionary talks was that they were always asking me to pray about what we talked about. I couldn't do it; I've never trusted the power of prayer. When I prayed as a child, it was to help relieve what was happening at home. That didn't change anything, and that sent me further into a dark and lonely place. Why would God not answer the prayers of a young child? I understand that he couldn't quite change the situation like I wanted, because it would undermine Christ's atonement and our agency (my friend shared the book "The Infinite Atonement" with me, and I've read quite a bit of it already), but the fact that I didn't see ANYTHING from this prayer made my situation even worse. The damage from this feels unrepairable to me. I know it seems selfish, because I know all of these things like how Christ went through every imaginable pain for me, and understands what I went through, but there's just something in my mind that won't accept it. I want to change that way of thinking, even though it seems like I don't, I REALLY do. I just don't know how to gain that trust in prayer, when I have never seen it work, for me at least.

President Howard W. Hunter once said, “God knows what we do not know and sees what we do not see.” 16 [in Conference Report, Oct. 1987, 71; or Ensign, Nov. 1987, 60] None of us knows the wisdom of the Lord. We do not know in advance exactly how He would get us from where we are to where we need to be, but He does offer us broad outlines in our patriarchal blessings. We encounter many bumps, bends, and forks in the road of life that leads to the eternities. There is so much teaching and correction as we travel on that road. Said the Lord, “He that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom.” 17 [ D&C 136:31] “For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth.” 18 [ Heb. 12:6]

As we live on earth we must walk in faith, nothing doubting. When the journey becomes seemingly unbearable, we can take comfort in the words of the Lord: “I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee.” 19 [ 2 Kgs. 20:5] Some of the healing may take place in another world. We may never know why some things happen in this life. The reason for some of our suffering is known only to the Lord.

President Brigham Young offered the profound insight that at least some of our suffering has a purpose when he said:

“All intelligent beings who are crowned with crowns of glory, immortality, and eternal lives must pass through every ordeal appointed for intelligent beings to pass through, to gain their glory and exaltation. Every calamity that can come upon mortal beings will be suffered to come upon the few, to prepare them to enjoy the presence of the Lord. … Every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation.” 20 [Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe (1954), 345]

We have much reason to hope. Joy can be ours if we are willing to sacrifice all for the Lord. Then we can look forward to the infinitely priceless possibility of overcoming all the challenges of this life. Then we will be with the Savior forever and, as President Brigham Young also said, “anticipate enjoying the glory, excellency and exaltation which God has prepared for the faithful.” 21 [“Remarks,” Deseret News, 31 May 1871, 197]

It's cliche by now, but there's a reason for everything. I'm sure my life story seems tame compared to what you've posted, but I've had my share of trials nonetheless. You probably got yours instead of me getting them because you're strong enough to get through them :D. But seriously. All of the trials that I've gone through have made me who I am and led me to where I am now: a strong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, married in the temple, going to school, and so forth.

It's hard to see blessings in your life when it feels like everything is hopeless and things are still falling apart with no end in sight. But it ends. And if you're looking for Father's hand in getting you through it, you will see him there every step of the way and your faith will increase dramatically. I, for one, am grateful for all of the trials that I've gone through. I would never ever want to do them over again, but without them I would not have a quarter of the faith that I have now.

Please stay strong. You'll know what you need to do to get through your tough times, but God and Jesus Christ are standing by your side waiting to help you through. I hope that you will be able to see and recognize them there!

As far as your original topic (how to feel the Holy Ghost) - I have no useful answer ^_^. I've known people who say they've never "felt" anything and have immense faith... I've also known people who have "felt" something and have zero faith. I think you'll just know, and when you figure it out you'll probably see that you've "felt" the Holy Ghost a LOT in your life and it will be easier to recognize when it happens again.

i've stopped everything last night. this next week is going to be complete hell, i already feel like death. this is good though, i need to stop. it's absolutely killing me; physically, emotionally, and spiritually. i just hope that now i'm clean that i'm able to start the relationship with heavenly father. i just hope im strong enough, and don't fall back into it.

you are strong enough....and if you're not, lean on the Lord and He will carry you through this. He loves you and He is proud of you just like we all are proud of you for taking these very difficult steps. All of us on here are behind you and we will do anything to help you through this. Our prayers are with you.

Feeling the Spirit can be a different experience for us. Some recognize certain aspects of it, while others have strong feelings about other aspects.

For me, I know I'm feeling the Spirit when I'm calm or at peace about something. When I question something and find the answer, I know it's the answer because I no longer feel uneasy or unsettled about that thing. I feel a peace about it, like the chapter on that question is closed. It's a feeling I can never make myself have no matter how hard I try. Unless I know of a surety, which can only come from the Spirit, that something is right, my mind is at ease.

The same can be said for a path placed in front of us, like maybe should I read the Book of Mormon. Make a decision, yes or no, and pray if you made the right decision. If you aren't at peace with your decision then it's not right.

I'm so glad to hear you're making the effort to give up drugs and alcohol. That can only help your spiritual self. Keep us updated.

Hi Caspian, glad to have you join the forum. How's it going with staying away from the drugs / alcohol? How's it going with praying? Give it a try if you haven't yet- find a quite private place where you can give it a shot. Have the missionaries teach you the basics of prayer if they didn't yet, or if you want a reminder. God is there, He loves you, and He will help you.

I couldn't tell you. I've never really felt it. Perhaps once or twice.. but I feel the same emotion when i'm playing sports, so..

It's not mandatory, imo. ^_^

Feeling the Spirit, as we call it, is not just an emotional response. It entails receiving enlightenment from a source outside ourselves, englightenment to our mind, heart, and spirit within us. It expands who we are spiritually and what we know.

It can be sometimes be confused with plain old emotions, but practice makes perfect, so keep at it! Study the topic of the Holy Ghost in the scriptures, and pray over it. Look for opportunities to receive and follow spiritual promptings.

I'm a very emotional person. I show my emotions easily. I know there have been multiple times that I have sat in a meeting whether it be Sacrament or watching conference on tv..that something strikes me and I tear up. I've always attributed that to feeling the spirit. At least that's how my dad explained it to me once when I was talking to him about it.

He said people feel the spirit in different ways. I, being an emotional person, react to feeling it in tears.

I know for me the spirit usually brings me the most incredible peace. I've never had anything else come close. There have been times when I've had some pretty rough things going on and prayed about it and I just felt that incredible peaceful feeling and I just knew God loves me and I am His daughter and at that moment nothing else in the world mattered but those two facts.

I’m also a very emotional person and I cry at everything. I cry at sacrament, I cry while reading books, movies, I cried when my favorite comic strip that I’d been reading my whole life ended last year :rolleyes:…. Anyway point is I usually have to warn people that if they want me to talk to them about the my testimony of the church I’m probably going to start crying.

Reminds me of when we receive those powerful electrical feelings. When counseling a person, conversion with another person, or giving a talk, I need to remind the Holy Ghost that there is a limit to what these physical bodies withstand. Then we need to sleep longer to recoup the lost energy... :lol:

• 1 year later...

I love that you have made this step to know more, it's hard but you are doing what's right by trying. I know from personal experience what you are going through, just know that you can do this. Even when other people might bring you down or try to bring you down. You shouldn't let them, and you shouldn't give in. If you do, you are human and that's okay. It's okay to be human, I think some people get lost on that. Just remember, that Heavenly Father loves you, and loves us with all of our imperfections. He wants us to make it back to him, and he knows that we are going to make mistakes. It's tough, and I think while we are here on this earth it is going to be tough no matter what we do. However, if we trust and ask God with faith that he will help us he will. I know your past has been difficult, and it's hard sometimes not to let it consume you. However, your past is behind you, not infront of you. You have your whole life infront of you, and what you do today is important. Remember that you are a child of God, he loves you with ALL of his heart. I'm sure he wants nothing more than to be with you right now wrapping his arms around you and helping you get through this. Well, guess what he's there, waiting for you to let him do that for you. He may not be there in visual presence but his spirit is. It's hard to give into something that you may not fully trust, but with faith the trust grows and eventually you'll wonder why the doubt ever existed. I read through everything you said so I hope you know that You are an amazing person, God created you and he loves you SOOO much. The more you turn to him the closer you will get to him. Give it a shot, give him a chance to show you the peace, the love, and overwhelming joy you can have in your life. I'm so thankful every day that I've allowed myself to trust in God. It's what has saved me, and is what saves me every day that I breathe. Just remember that you are a good person who makes mistakes like the rest of the world. God forgives, he loves, and will help you get through this... I know he will... You are Strong and can overcome anything, never forget that.