LDS and Steroids

B_Guns

Over the last few months I have seen alot of news and articles surrounding Atheletes and steroids. I have never read anything from the church with their stance on people and using steroids.

I am a bodybuilder and have been around it with my friends for a long time, and have never touched it. But I have never seen any harmful effects from it with my friends, no more than any other supplements.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever heard from a leader in the church whats the churches stance on it.

Section 89 doesn’t mention them by name, but if something is harmful to the body Heavenly Father created for you, you shouldn’t use it, eat it, drink it, touch it, or do it—not just because of the physical risk, but because the Spirit will not dwell in unclean temples. And without the Spirit, we will be like the Nephites who, in their wickedness, became “weak, like unto their brethren, the Lamanites, and … the Spirit of the Lord did no more preserve them; yea, it had withdrawn from them because the Spirit of the Lord doth not dwell in unholy temples” (Hel. 4:24).

The good news is you can compete with those using supplements by working hard to build your body and your faith. And by keeping the commandments and striving to keep your physical temple clean and healthy, you are inviting the Spirit.

There are many habit-forming, addictive things that one can drink or chew or inhale or inject which injure both body and spirit which are not mentioned in [the Word of Wisdom].”

—President Boyd K. Packer, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, “The Word of Wisdom: The Principle and the Promises,” Ensign, May 1996, 17.

Are steroids legal where you live? They are not where I live. I think in most of the states of the US if not all they are illegal. I see from your profile that you are from Canada so you would have to look at what Canadian law says about it's use.

I have seen plenty of pictures of the results of steroid abuse from gross acne to man breasts and shrunken other parts. No thanks for me legal or not.

Ben Raines

I dont really have any sports background but my simple view on it is taking steroids is cheating. And the church doesn't encourage any one to cheat in exams so why should you cheat in tests of fitness? Heavenly Father wants you to become the very best you can be and I don't think cheating is any way to go about achieving your potential ! :)

Selling them is illegal but like the states they cant do to much with possession, :huh: thats what i hear from my buddies at least.

But from what i have seen on some 20/20 specials lately more people have worse side effects from IBprofin, with damage to the liver then steroids. Nothing has ever been proven, cause no medical research has been done.

As per the addition side of things i have seen people get the twitches from not having a can of coke daily.

Now i believe abuse in anything is against the word of wisdom, when something starts controling you more then you control it then its a problem, from caffine to chocolate, anything in large amounts is not healthy.

I guess the lord allows us to feel things out, thats why everything isnt dicated in the scriptures. But i was just wondering if there is anything formal out there from the church about it...

. . . but i was just wondering if there is anything formal out there from the church about it.

Nope, just like there is nothing about eating pot in a brownie (or even included in green jello with carrots and raisins -- sounds like relief society right?). Edited by the Ogre

Over the last few months I have seen alot of news and articles surrounding Atheletes and steroids. I have never read anything from the church with their stance on people and using steroids.

I am a bodybuilder and have been around it with my friends for a long time, and have never touched it. But I have never seen any harmful effects from it with my friends, no more than any other supplements.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever heard from a leader in the church whats the churches stance on it.

Can you legally purchase the drug over the counter?

As far as LDS and steroids go, I doubt they would strengthen anyone's testimony.

--------

... the desire to get bigger and bigger is the reason. I have seen it at they gyms for years.

Ben Raines

Hey, this phenomena can be observed at Baskin-Robbins as well.

:)

I dont really have any sports background but my simple view on it is taking steroids is cheating. And the church doesn't encourage any one to cheat in exams so why should you cheat in tests of fitness? Heavenly Father wants you to become the very best you can be and I don't think cheating is any way to go about achieving your potential ! :)

Steroids don't make you stronger, in the way a cheat sheet would give you the answers to an exam, but in the way caffeine can keep you up longer to get more study hours in or the way mnemonics help you retain that information. They don't make working out easier, but more effective.

I wouldn't mess with them. Just saying.

We (the church) also believes in moderation. With any medication there can be side effects and sadly those effects don't show up until much later.

I would urge you to research and not just take 20/20 word on it. One question that you might what to ask yourself (and the Lord) is.....................Is the short term gain worth the long term outcome?

All I know is that they are banned in the Olympics and professional sports, and can cause serious problems in other areas. There are actually legitimate medical reasons why someone would take a steroid, but it's done with a doctor's supervision and the person with the prescription is the only person who can pick it up at a pharmacy after showing proper ID and signing a form. Since the danger of addiction and side effects are great, I don't think many doctors are willing to prescribe steroids unless other options have failed.

• 3 years later...

if you take steroids in a manner that is not harmful to your body then anabolics are fine, yes i agree they can pose a health risk if abused but that is not my intention.

i take milk thistle and other precautionary measures to ensure that i am not harming my temple and allowing the holy ghost to always be present.

if you had to follow the rule that anything harmful to your body should not be eaten, drank or injected then you would not be able to drink most colddrinks and eat most food types especially processed foods or take majority of medicines as most have harmful ingredients used to bind the medicinal properties?!?!

truly i believe its a personal choice and that if abused then yes dont but if you can control frequency and manner of use to ensure your body is kept at 100% then why not?