Are there contradictions in the Mormon writings?

aj4u

I was asked how I deal with the contradictions in the Bible? Some times there are things that appear to be contradiction but are not. I guess I would handle it the same way as Mormons deal with contradictions in Mormon writings. So maybe we have some common basis on how to do that. But to make sure, I would like to know how Mormons deal with the contradiction in Mormons writings. :)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was asked how I deal with the contradictions in the Bible? Some times there are things that appear to be contradiction but are not.

That's avoiding the issue. What about the contradictions that really are contradictions? How do you deal with that.

I would like to know how Mormons deal with the contradiction in Mormons writings. :)

What makes you think that they need to be "dealt" with? Contradictions exist. So what.

Edited by Snow

I was asked how I deal with the contradictions in the Bible? Some times there are things that appear to be contradiction but are not. I guess I would handle it the same way as Mormons deal with contradictions in Mormon writings. So maybe we have some common basis on how to do that. But to make sure, I would like to know how Mormons deal with the contradiction in Mormons writings. :)

Perhaps you should read some of the relevant writings and find some apparent contradictions to discuss. Without being too familiar with them myself, perhaps we could ask for enlightenment on contemporary views and feelings on the evolution that has taken place within the LDS church with respect to the big issues of polygamy and people of african descent in the priesthood. Those are common knowledge, I suppose, but maybe there are others. So, question: what does the evolution of prophecy mean to everyone?

I have heard some views on this subject, but it might be fun to discuss it firsthand.

Hope that is a useful direction of discussion.

Hidden

Fishing mostly, but Jesus said, "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true" but in another place Jesus said, "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is true." This seems like a contradiction to me. I have my opinion of this. Your comment.

Do you have any examples or are you just fishing tonight?

Fishing mostly, but Jesus said, "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true" but in another place Jesus said, "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is true." This seems like a contradiction to me. I have my opinion of this. Your comment.

That's avoiding the issue. What about the contradictions that really are contradictions? How do you deal with that.

What makes you think that they need to be "dealt" with? Contradictions exist. So what.

That is a good point, but some times I try to search out whether it is or not by going to the original Greek and Hebrew text.

Perhaps you should read some of the relevant writings and find some apparent contradictions to discuss. Without being too familiar with them myself, perhaps we could ask for enlightenment on contemporary views and feelings on the evolution that has taken place within the LDS church with respect to the big issues of polygamy and people of african descent in the priesthood. Those are common knowledge, I suppose, but maybe there are others. So, question: what does the evolution of prophecy mean to everyone?

I have heard some views on this subject, but it might be fun to discuss it firsthand.

As an average member who is not a scholar, it means to me that the Lord grants us more light and knowledge "line upon line, precept upon precept" as we're ready for it. This can mean that He changes His instructions to us to fit our changing circumstances and readiness to move forward.

To me, that's the greatest blessing of having prophets on the earth: when the Lord decides we're ready to take the next step (such as by lifting the priesthood restriction), He has His spokesman in place to tell, "Ok, it's time for _____" and have that spokesman pass the Lord's will on to those who choose to follow God.

There could be many variables to that statement. Who was Jesus talking to? What point was He trying to make? What were the circumstances around Him at the time of His statement? etc. There are MANY things that all need to be looked at before making any judgement on a statement that may appear to be contradictory. Things may be said in one time period that may apply, but may be changed because of it not working for another. That doesn't necessarily mean that one is right and the other is wrong. They're just different.

To be honest with you, I don't know where the congregation of churches rejected plurality in marriage. It is also rejected from society as a whole especially in this country. Isn’t that a contradiction from the way things were done in the OT? In fact, there really isn’t anything stated against plurality in the Bible as a whole that I can find. I know it states that if one wants to be a bishop he should be the husband of one wife. Does any have a take on this? I know this used to be a practice in the Mormon Church, but they were denied status of a state if they didn’t stop the practice. I don’t see from a Biblical basis why all the opposition. These are areas I don’t understand and welcome input. From both a sides of the spectrum.

As an average member who is not a scholar, it means to me that the Lord grants us more light and knowledge "line upon line, precept upon precept" as we're ready for it. This can mean that He changes His instructions to us to fit our changing circumstances and readiness to move forward.

To me, that's the greatest blessing of having prophets on the earth: when the Lord decides we're ready to take the next step (such as by lifting the priesthood restriction), He has His spokesman in place to tell, "Ok, it's time for _____" and have that spokesman pass the Lord's will on to those who choose to follow God.

That is a very forward-looking attitude.

Would you say that yours is a forward-looking religion? Hopeful &c.?

I am not sure how this fits the topic of this thread.

There could be many variables to that statement. Who was Jesus talking to? What point was He trying to make? What were the circumstances around Him at the time of His statement? etc. There are MANY things that all need to be looked at before making any judgement on a statement that may appear to be contradictory. Things may be said in one time period that may apply, but may be changed because of it not working for another. That doesn't necessarily mean that one is right and the other is wrong. They're just different.

Yes, I agree. I think Jesus was speaking as the son of man in one instance and as the Son of God (or God) in the other. This would make both statements true.

Okay Carl. Is anyone forcing you to get on a Merry go round?:rolleyes:

AJ, when you come on here with your negative, condescending, and antagonistic attitude towards our church asking "how do we handle contradictions in the Mormon church?" automatically assuming that we have any, then yes, I WILL stand in defense of my church because I already know from reading your previous posts where this thread is gonna go! So as far as the Merry-go-Round is concerned, I'm on this 'til the absolute very end. Let's start the ride!:cool:

Howdy,

All religious texts have contradictions. Usually, the contradictions are a matter of discussion on what is figurative or literal, or taking something to be specific when it was meant to be general, or confusing doctrine with what is merely common custom, or mistaking an opinion for divine inspiration. It is the same for every religion.

Regards,

Kawazu

Edited by Kawazu

Howdy,

All in religious texts have contradictions. Usually, the contradictions are a matter of discussion on what is figurative or literal, or taking something to be specific when it was meant to be general, or confusing doctrine with what is merely common custom, or mistaking an opinion for divine inspiration. It is the same for every religion.

Regards,

Kawazu

You hit the nail right on the head, Kawazu.:)

Oh no, not again! LOL Why does the song "Will It Go 'Round In Circles" come to mind when thinking about this thread.

Same Old Song

Just a Different Tune.

Same old Song

Sung by the same ol. . .

Where was I:confused:

Get back to ya later:D

Bro. Rudick