5 "Worst" Fathers day gifts

hordak

"Moms are wired to think anything you create is precious. Dads are not. At the end of the day, they're still dudes, which means that arts and crafts make their eyes glaze over. This also includes lame IOU coupons."

Okay, then I guess my husband is just weird. He will not allow me to spend money on him. None whatsoever. Not on Father's Day, his Birthday, or Christmas. Art, it's all about art. He WANTS me to create something, be it a painting (or some other art medium), music, or poetry, but his favorite appears to be art since he can hang it up. And crafts? Depends on the craft. For Christmas one year our daughter and I made him paper hand wreaths. They were made out of paper plates with the middle cut out, green construction paper cut out in the shape of our hands glued on the plates, and then red construction paper cut out into little circles glued onto the hands. Yarn was looped on to hang up. One wreath was my hand, the other wreath was Hazel's hand. He loved them and still has them hanging up by his desk.

My husband doesn't understand scrap booking but one year for father's day I made him a digital one , so it looked like a regular picture book, that had only pictures of Hazel and him in it at varying stages of her life with silly little captions and dates. He liked that.

Our bedroom wall is lined with art made by me.

I guess it depends on whether or not your husband follows the stereotype. :P

They're a dessert that's more common in Canada. My husband is Canadian, and he grew up eating these. You don't see them often in the States (I'd never heard of them until a year ago when my husband mentioned them being his favorite dessert). Once in a blue moon our grocery store will carry them, since we get a lot of Canadian tourists, but not often.

Posted Image

Nanaimo Bars

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup white sugar

5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/4 cup butter

2 cups confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder (or instant vanilla pudding powder)

3 tablespoons milk

4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped

1 tablespoon butter

Mix 1/2 cup butter or margarine, white sugar, cocoa, egg and vanilla in a heavy sauce pan or double boiler. Stir over low heat until mixture is of custard like consistency.

Combine graham crackers, coconut and walnuts and add to the melted mixture. Mix well and pack into buttered 9 inch square cake pan.

Cream 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla custard powder and milk. Beat until creamy and spread over melted base.

Refrigerate till hardened.

Melt semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon butter and drizzle over custard icing. Refrigerate. When totally hard cut into square bars.

"Moms are wired to think anything you create is precious. Dads are not. At the end of the day, they're still dudes, which means that arts and crafts make their eyes glaze over. This also includes lame IOU coupons."

Note that this does not include IOU coupons which are NOT lame. Non-lame IOU coupons that are actually redeemable (rather than just "good intentions") are the best gifts!