Words or phrases you dislike

Mahone

I mentioned once recently that I hate people typing on forums like that. But I have to retract what I said. I didn't think about those that might be posting from a phone etc. If I had the capability of going to lds.net on my phone I probably would too.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried hard to get over my irritation with common mispronunciations, misspellings, and various malapropisms. But what really, really, REALLY gets my goat is when people insist on referring to sexual activity as something intrinsically bad or wicked.

For example, I'll read an article where someone talks about "doing the nasty". HUH?! What sort of twisted, perverted sicko WANTS to think of sex as something debasing or nasty?

• A person treating another person in a despicable manner: Nasty.
  • An especially messy, odoriferous, and old baby diaper: Mildly nasty.
  • A booger hanging out of the nose of an unsuspecting person: Perhaps borderline nasty, if you're super-sensitive to that sort of thing.
  • Puppies, merry children, beautiful flowers, and (non-perverted, non-sicko) sex: Not nasty.
Seriously, what is wrong with these people?

I sometimes like to use "marital unpleasantness" as a facetious euphemism for sex ;)

You are so me two years ago. Luckily, chat and phone texting cured me of my snobbery.

Elphaba

Most of my skill from typing (and it probably shows) pretty much comes from MUDing (MUD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which has demands not that different from chat in terms of getting what you want to say out there in a timely manner, and I daresay I don't resort to such shorthand when texting, that's what T9 (T9 (predictive text) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is for. :D

P.S. Though proper capitalization does fall by the way side with T9.

As of late, my two oldest children substitute "24/7" for 'frequently', 'lots', 'too much', etc. They use it 24/7! Ugh! Apparently everyong at their school uses it 24/7.

I have grown to dislike "Does that make sense?" Perhaps it is situationally induced by a few individuals that I do not regard as all that intelligent, asking me if common and simple things 'make sense'. Do you really take me for an idiot? Yes, I can grasp concepts fairly well. The question is whether or not you are capable of communicating in a coherent manner! Quit pointing out that you can't communicate well by asking "does that make sense?"!

As of late, my two oldest children substitute "24/7" for 'frequently', 'lots', 'too much', etc. They use it 24/7! Ugh! Apparently everyong at their school uses it 24/7.

I have grown to dislike "Does that make sense?" Perhaps it is situationally induced by a few individuals that I do not regard as all that intelligent, asking me if common and simple things 'make sense'. Do you really take me for an idiot? Yes, I can grasp concepts fairly well. The question is whether or not you are capable of communicating in a coherent manner! Quit pointing out that you can't communicate well by asking "does that make sense?"!

I believe that is exactly what is going on.:huh:

They do not want to know your intelligence level.:mellow:

They are unsure of theirs and want to know if they are making sense.:D

Bro. Rudick

• 5 months later...

Wow, where should I start? lol

Ok, words and prases I hate:

1-- The major (and most minor) profanity (the D and H words are ok, used sparingly)

2-- Anything being said by someone who speaks so much lazy slang, you can barely understand what they say, lol

3-- Being called "hot" or "fine", instead of "pretty", "gorgeous" or "beautiful".

4-- People calling their girlfriends or wives "my (B word)" or "My (short for the W word)"--- out of affection! Bleh! Major turn-off.

5-- The words "dude" or "man" or "totally" when its said too much, especially with a surfer accent, lol.

6-- Valley girls who say the word "like", after... Like every few words, because like... Its so like annoying... Like you know what I mean?

7-- This is because I'm an Army Brat and military people don't do it this way-- Can't stand it when people actually spell out ASAP like

A. - S. - A. - P., isntead of saying "A - Sap", like you're supposed to, lol. Actually, that drives a lot of military people crazy, lol.

Edited by Melissa569

I can't stand the use of ETA on blogs or forums. I understand that it has come to mean "Edited to Add" but mostly it means "Estimated Time of Arrival." It drives me nuts!

I'm embarassed to admit I didn't know what ETA meant in the context it has been used. I only knew the estimated time of arrival.

7-- This is because I'm an Army Brat and military people don't do it this way-- Can't stand it when people actually spell out ASAP like

A. - S. - A. - P., isntead of saying "A - Sap", like you're supposed to, lol. Actually, that drives a lot of military people crazy, lol.

Well, it's an acronym...why wouldn't we spell it out when we say it?

I'm embarassed to admit I didn't know what ETA meant in the context it has been used. I only knew the estimated time of arrival.

I didn't either. I looked it up before posting that to see if there was, in fact, an alternate meaning to it, before posting a rail against it.

I'm sick to death of hearing everyone selling food on television using the word "decadent" to describe chocolatey desserts. It's like one grammar school drop out started misusing a word he didn't even know the definition of and a bunch of flunkies and yes men started immitating him. What a bunch of lemmings!

I'd never heard "decadent" used in any other context, so I can't really be called a lemming. I read it last week in a book, though, and I thought of this post...lol.

1. the act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state; deterioration; decay: Some historians hold that the fall of Rome can be attributed to internal decadence. 2. moral degeneration or decay; turpitude. 3. unrestrained or excessive self-indulgence. 4. (often initial capital letterPosted Image) the decadent movement in literature.

1. the act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state; deterioration; decay: Some historians hold that the fall of Rome can be attributed to internal decadence. 2. moral degeneration or decay; turpitude. 3. unrestrained or excessive self-indulgence. 4. (often initial capital letterPosted Image) the decadent movement in literature.

It was chocolate's fault that Rome fell??

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Not too much bothers me, but one is using "gay" as an insult [as mentioned in the beginning].

A big one though is "Woman (or b-) make me a sandwich" or "Get in the kitchen". At its worst, it's degrading, at best, it's not a funny joke.

A recent one of mine is "chillax" - dunno how this got into usage by anyone above the age of 10 lol.

I also dislike it when people say "I'll give 150%" - hmmm, how is that possible?

Lol, so what words or phrases do you dislike?

The term "SICK" meaning crazy or cool or insane as in "Man that trick was sick, yo!"

Sick is someone with ebola and not someone who is deserving of praise or admiration.

IMHO

Not too much bothers me, but one is using "gay" as an insult [as mentioned in the beginning].

A big one though is "Woman (or b-) make me a sandwich" or "Get in the kitchen". At its worst, it's degrading, at best, it's not a funny joke.

That's because you're not saying it right. It's "Woman, get me a SAMMICH." It's meant as a mockery of both parties. Very trailer trash... and very amusing in the right context. :lol: But if used improperly, it's just gay.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

That's because you're not saying it right. It's "Woman, get me a SAMMICH." It's meant as a mockery of both parties. Very trailer trash... and very amusing in the right context. :lol: But if used improperly, it's just gay.

Oh right, my bad. Didn't realize that spelling it wrong somehow makes it better. ^_^