Tell me what you do?

Winnie G

Ok your sitting in church in sacrament meeting and the family in front of you is reverent and well dressed but for shoes. their young daughters kick off their sandals and play with their feet and as the sacrament tray is coming down the row I started thinking "Please dont use your toe jammy hand to take the sacrament" And she does!:blink:

I am not talking about a little kid here she is at lest 10. my husband home teaches their family.

Need less to say I was not thinking of my savor as I witness the toe picking and sacrament passing.

I would say something the mother but if I upset her I have to live with that close to home, we are nighbors seprated by a fance.

So what would you do?

Guest missingsomething

Ask the family why we shake with our right hand... then....have your husband tell them one night....Tell them how in the middle east people used to not shake hands with their left hand cause it was dirty (use toe jam as an example here hehehe) so they would extend their right hand to shake.... out of respect. Thats why we even today shake with our right hand.

Then, bring it round about how we shake hands with our right hands in church, how we should make sure our hands are clean before doing this and taking and passing the sacrament.. etc.

If that doesnt work... be honest but pray for cooth (dont know how to spell that...) and do it privately.

not saying what she did wasn't gross....... but....

there is a sister in our branch that is weird about germs... she and i were talking one time and she watches, if the ym that are breaking the bread are doing anything she finds to yucky she won't take the sacrament that day.... at the same time she doesn't expect kids to be anything but kids. she is a single sister and she will wait till the families are seated (which is nice cause it allows me to find enough seats for our family, which can be a problem) and then she sits somewhere where she knows she will get the sacrament first..... i guess my point is sit somewhere else to make sure you get the sacrament first?

as a parent if my kids have a cold or something i will get the bread for them and hand it to them, i also watch them when getting the water and putting it away, if they "contaminate" any other cups in the process i will grab it up before it moves on so that no one will get it. i'm not perfect at it but i try.

not saying what she did wasn't gross....... but....

there is a sister in our branch that is weird about germs... she and i were talking one time and she watches, if the ym that are breaking the bread are doing anything she finds to yucky she won't take the sacrament that day.... at the same time she doesn't expect kids to be anything but kids. she is a single sister and she will wait till the families are seated (which is nice cause it allows me to find enough seats for our family, which can be a problem) and then she sits somewhere where she knows she will get the sacrament first..... i guess my point is sit somewhere else to make sure you get the sacrament first?

as a parent if my kids have a cold or something i will get the bread for them and hand it to them, i also watch them when getting the water and putting it away, if they "contaminate" any other cups in the process i will grab it up before it moves on so that no one will get it. i'm not perfect at it but i try.

Ditto. Not to mention the amount of hand shaking that goes on in an average LDS chapel. Do you know how many people don't wash their hands after going to the toliet - well, there are a lot. I could take this much further ;)

These kind of things are best forgotten about, just pretend it doesn't happen otherwise you'll end up with full blown OCD ;)

The great Robert Burns opined on this subject a long, long time ago. He's just seen lice crawling around on a lady's bonnet at church:

Ha! whare ye gaun' ye crowlin ferlie?

Your impudence protects you sairly;

I canna say but ye strunt rarely

Owre gauze and lace,

Tho faith! I fear ye dine but sparely

On sic a place.

Ye ugly, creepin, blastit wonner,

Detested, shunn'd by saunt an sinner,

How daur ye set your fit upon her--

Sae fine a lady!

Gae somewhere else and seek your dinner

On some poor body.

Swith! in some beggar's hauffet squattle;

There ye may creep, and sprawl, and sprattle;

Wi' ither kindred, jumping cattle;

In shoals and nations;

Whare horn nor bane ne'er daur unsettle

Your thick plantations.

Now haud you there! ye're out o' sight,

Below the fatt'rils, snug an tight,

Na, faith ye yet! ye'll no be right,

Till ye've got on it--

The vera tapmost, tow'rin height

O' Miss's bonnet.

My sooth! right bauld ye set your nose out,

As plump an grey as onie grozet:

O for some rank, mercurial rozet,

Or fell, red smeddum,

I'd gie you sic a hearty dose o't,

Wad dress your droddum!

I wad na been surpris'd to spy

You on an auld wife's flainen toy

Or aiblins some bit duddie boy,

On's wyliecoat;

But Miss's fine Lunardi! fye!

How daur ye do't?

O Jeany, dinna toss your head,

An set your beauties a' abread!

Ye little ken what cursed speed

The blastie's makin!

Thae winks an finger-ends, I dread,

Are notice takin!

O wad some Power the giftie gie us

To see oursels as ithers see us!

It wad frae monie a blunder free us

An foolish notion:

What airs in dress an gait wad lea'es us,

An ev'n devotion!

The great Robert Burns opined on this subject a long, long time ago. He's just seen lice crawling around on a lady's bonnet at church:

I hear that poem every year at a Burns Supper as my Mom is Scottish. She's actually from the town where he died (what a claim to fame).

Back to the topic. This is why I don't watch anyone else take the sacrament. What I don't know wont hurt me.

Notices

Hello Therauh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Tell me what you do?

Best option,Ask the holy spirit if you have it.

Things that pop into my head when I read this conversation are:

In the bible it mentions Jesus saying its not what a man puts into his mouth that defiles him,Its what comes out of it.You could apply that to the web I think also.

I also recall that he mentioned getting the logs out of our own eyes and would also consider that to God our holiness often smells like dirty rags.

And 10 years old is pretty young

We had some similar aged youth in our ward once who had a nasty habit of placing their half sipped sacrament cups back into the tray in the cup holder. I noticed this was happening on a weekly basis as I passed the sacrament (being in YMs at the time) and made it a habit of it being me who took the sacrament to them so I could be sure to take their used cups out before passing it onto the next person.

If there was ever a thread that was going to make people go inactive... this will be it. You might want to lock it already ;)

I have to admit that although I think that is totally gross, I had to laugh out loud about it. Maybe that is because I am in a singles ward and never think about little children. I try very hard to concentrate on the atonement and the Savior during the sacrament, and find watching others distracting, so I guess that is a good thing for me, as I never have to think about who is taking the sacrament with which hand.

Which would you rather have: the 10 year old girl picking at her feet, or the 3 year old that extracts their finger out of their nose before rooting around in the bread for a piece?? Or the youngster, middle aged, or elderly brother/sister that sneezed into the water?

I think these are some of the reasons why we should keep our heads bowed with our eyes closed during the sacrament! I'm getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about it!

Which would you rather have: the 10 year old girl picking at her feet, or the 3 year old that extracts their finger out of their nose before rooting around in the bread for a piece?? Or the youngster, middle aged, or elderly brother/sister that sneezed into the water?

I think these are some of the reasons why we should keep our heads bowed with our eyes closed during the sacrament! I'm getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about it!

I could get onto the things the YM in my ward have done PURPOSELY to the sacrament, and also something I had to stop them doing which could have actually caused serious harm to someone. But maybe that's too far :P

ha ha I hope I won't have a hard time to focus on the convenants I am making every sunday taking sacraments, after reading this. it had never ocurred to me what people do with their full-of-germs hands ...

anyways I always try to meditate and analyze my behavior in the week, what can i change to be better, suff like this, and thank Jesus for the atonement..

Pansy. Germs are our friends. The more you get sick as a youngster, the better your immune system will be able to fight off the really nasty stuff when you get older. Now they are saying that the chicken pox vaccine has only a 10% success rate even with the booster; you're better off going to a 'pox party' as a child and having lifelong immunity.

Pansy. Germs are our friends. The more you get sick as a youngster, the better your immune system will be able to fight off the really nasty stuff when you get older. Now they are saying that the chicken pox vaccine has only a 10% success rate even with the booster; you're better off going to a 'pox party' as a child and having lifelong immunity.

i was told the reason for the chicken pox vaccine wasn't cause anyone was worried about the chicken pox but that you are more likely to get shingles later if you have had chicken pox.... it's shingles that's the problem.

Yeah, they may be our friends, but when you get a little older it gets harder to beat the darn things. And I don't think that any of us, unless it is our own child, would really welcome a 'glazed donut monster' (apologies to Bill Cosby) sticking their hands into everything, and even then...!

My wife and I are trying to get our older daughter to let our grandson get dirty. She wipes him clean so often that he will have no immunity to anything when he gets a little older and that would be bad.

And Mahone, since I was once a young man, I can only imagine what they were doing. Glad you stopped 'em!

i was told the reason for the chicken pox vaccine wasn't cause anyone was worried about the chicken pox but that you are more likely to get shingles later if you have had chicken pox.... it's shingles that's the problem.

Isn't that if you got a mild case of CP as a kid? I thought that if you get the full blown, scratch your skin off pox that you were okay against shingles later, but if you had a mild case that you may get shingles later on in life.