People get all upset for no reason! I'm LDS and when I was 15 my non member girl friend gave me a cross necklace for my birthday. I still wear it to this day and it's a wonderful way to show my faith and devotion to Jesus Christ. If only the church members felt better about wearing the cross. Can you think of a better way to come out and let all of our Brothers and Sisters know we love our lord? I can't! When I was a missionary all of my companions talked about my cross. I wore it under my shirt of course so I didn't have the proper opportunity to show it to all of the wonderful people we visited each day. My companions saw it and realized it's not wrong to wear a cross. I had one crazy companion tell me it was like wearing a gun around your neck, which I always thought was silly since Jesus died on the cross for our sins, it's not like wearing a gun at all. After we discussed it, I encouraged him to pray about it and to pray about the Bible and Book of Mormon as well to help his testimony grow. After he read and prayed and fasted he came to see the cross and a very special and wonderful statement to show your devotion to Jesus. I wear my cross everyday and live in Utah. Most days people see it and they are very supportive!

Wow you are giving me the courage to wear a cross. The last time I tried that I was really taken to task by my bishop and young men's leader. They felt like I was being so horrible for even thinking of wearing a cross. The last time I read the New Testament I read a verse that said that the cross would be foolishness to those who don't believe. Maybe we mormons are missing something in being so against the cross.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had conversations with people who claim LDS aren't Christians because of the cross (or lack of it). I ask them if a cross is required to be worn, or to be adorned on architecture to be saved. They hem and haw, and after a while they admit that having a physical cross has no bearing on salvation. Similarly LDS believe that no one is going to go to hell or be damned or whatever for wearing a cross.

So, ultimately, both LDS and other Christians believe the exact same thing in the saving power of a physical symbol of the cross. It doesn't save you and it doesn't damn you.

Guest Utahrulzz

Wow you are giving me the courage to wear a cross. The last time I tried that I was really taken to task by my bishop and young men's leader. They felt like I was being so horrible for even thinking of wearing a cross. The last time I read the New Testament I read a verse that said that the cross would be foolishness to those who don't believe. Maybe we mormons are missing something in being so against the cross.

In a church full of symbolism, what's wrong wearing the universally recognized symbol of followers of Christ? It always surprises me how down on it some Mormons seem.

In a church full of symbolism, what's wrong wearing the universally recognized symbol of followers of Christ? It always surprises me how down on it some Mormons seem.

Well, I think it has something to do with being the symbol used by persecutors of the saints a century ago and anti-Mormons today.

Guest Utahrulzz

Yes, but some of our Temple symbols have been used or twisted by other organizations and we don't throw them out do we? Of course not, so why throw out the baby with the bathwater over the cross?

The cross is sacred symbol and should be respected by members of the church. It's wrong for a Bishop or any leader to suggest someone is wrong or misguided for wearing a cross. If someone wishes to show a symbol of their faith in this manner, we should embrace them for their faith and follow their example. (Not saying you have to wear across, but follow their example of showing faith.)

• 2 months later...

I always remember the meaning of Christ resurrection, but remembering too that He died for us is such a great act...For me, wearing a cross is not offensive, it is symbolical of the Great Love for us.

I bought mine few years ago and now I wanted to have it for my daughter as a gift and it looks like this: tiffany inspired infinity cross pendant. I guess the design is not that offensive.

For me, it is a reminder that we should live the way we remembered Christ resurrected and his sacrifices for us.

I happen to like the empty cross, as to me it reminds me that Christ did die for us, but He has resurrected. For other Christians, the cross is a reminder of the Attonement, which happened with Christ's death, but we also focus on the fact that He is risen. Catholics remember the suffering Christ went through, which is why they use Crucifixes, but they also believe that Christ rose.

I don't personally have a problem with the cross, BUT, it does seem that most Christians completely ignore and are oblivious to Gethsemane where Christ REALLY suffered in a way that only a God could. So much so that he shrank and asked that this cup pass from him and an Angel was sent from the Courts of Glory to strengthen him. They seem to believe that only his death is the relevant and saving act.

Interestingly also, how many LDS watched the movie, "The Passion"?

Hidden

So much so that he shrank and asked that this cup pass from him and an Angel was sent from the Courts of Glory to strengthen him. They seem to believe that only his death is the relevant and saving act.

Interestingly also, how many LDS watched the movie, "The Passion"?

I think its a question of being able to identify more. Crucifixtion, much as I have no clue what it is like, I can better comprehend, everyone alive understands physical pain. The suffering in the garden is more foreign.

I don't find the cross offensive. Without the cross Jesus would not have completed the atonement and give His life for us and then risen from the dead. The empty cross used among the non-Catholics is a symbol of the risen Lord.

Edited by Casslan

Guest mormonmusic

I'm one who wishes this "cultural norm" in the LDS Church that we don't display crosses wasn't so prevalent. I think it reinforces the idea that we aren't Christians (which is false, of course). And to hear that people react negatively to other people wearing the cross is new to me -- and bothers me.

I have to confess, I find it unsettling when I walk into certain churches and see Christ on the cross in his suffering -- but only because of the image it creates in my mind of what he put up with -- but I personally don't object to people wearing crosses as an expression of their faith. Perhaps it's my upbringing in a United Church of Canada church and family, and background as a born-again Christian that does this.

Just some thoughts I have had on this issue.

One the cross has some symbology to it from the Hebrew.

But first let me say, the cross is the most cruel way to die, so in some respects it is like wearing a shot gun around your neck or the some other idtem that we have used to kill people, leathal injection, cut off someones head etc.

However, the cross is a symbol of a lot of Hebrew thought of the Olive Tree or the Tree of life, somewhat the Christmas Tree. There is a lot to go into but let me just say, the Crosses symbology is fone of Justice and Mercy... Rember the two convicted fellows who hung with our Savior. One on the right and one on the left. One convict said,,,, save yourself from this death and us too. The other said we deserve this for what we did, but he is innocent. Remember me.

our savior said this day shall you be with me in paradise. OK what this is all about in Hebrew Tree of Life is that on the one hand is Justice and the Other is Mercy.

Ther is a lot more to it.

I'm one who wishes this "cultural norm" in the LDS Church that we don't display crosses wasn't so prevalent. I think it reinforces the idea that we aren't Christians (which is false, of course). And to hear that people react negatively to other people wearing the cross is new to me -- and bothers me.

I have to confess, I find it unsettling when I walk into certain churches and see Christ on the cross in his suffering -- but only because of the image it creates in my mind of what he put up with -- but I personally don't object to people wearing crosses as an expression of their faith. Perhaps it's my upbringing in a United Church of Canada church and family, and background as a born-again Christian that does this.

I grew up in a country were most people are pagan or atheists but a very small minority have Catholic traditions that involve very large statues and crosses. In my home we did not practice any religion but we read the bible. We did not have any images so they tend to be a bit outside of what I would consider "appealing" when it comes to religious displays.

I really have no feelings about somebody wearing a small cross that is a family heirloom or a gift. I think what creates cognitive dissonance for me is the meaningless outward display of it. It would be hard to argue with the fact that jewelry is mostly for show rather than a true symbol of faith.

I'm one who wishes this "cultural norm" in the LDS Church that we don't display crosses wasn't so prevalent. I think it reinforces the idea that we aren't Christians (which is false, of course).

Seems like this undermines the work of Brother Millet in building bridges.

And to hear that people react negatively to other people wearing the cross is new to me -- and bothers me.

Such reactions stem from the anger of those in the early 20th Century who decided we should shun this Christian symbol since the Christian community were being buttheads to us. Anger is never a sound basis for a religious policy.

If they are Christmas gifts or such, I wear them.

For some odd reason I don't think of Christ when I look at a cross.

I know that rappers wear giant platinum crosses in order to signal to promiscuous women that they are rich. (I seriously want to vomit at any thought of that)

Commonly, a few people I know that flaunt their crosses are either uber-promiscuous, or have a harmless "party" every now and then where they get flat-out drunk and engage in unthinkable acts.

And I know that there are really good Christian people out there that wear a crucifix to let people know that they are Christian. And personally strive to be good, and obey the laws of Christ.

And I wear mine, 'just cuz', and I even tuck it in.

My logic goes, if I wanted people to know that I'm Christian, and I want to show them that I have the light of Christ with me, I will let it be shown by my actions, and by my words, not by a piece of metal that hangs off my neck.

If they are Christmas gifts or such, I wear them.

For some odd reason I don't think of Christ when I look at a cross.

There's a reason for that, Max. It's not the method of his death that we celebrate, but the reasons behind it and his subsequent resurrection.

If he had been born 1950 years later, would we be wearing electric chairs around our necks?

There's a reason for that, Max. It's not the method of his death that we celebrate, but the reasons behind it and his subsequent resurrection.

If he had been born 1950 years later, would we be wearing electric chairs around our necks?

Yes! My Jesus died for me by painful means. I don't worship the instrument of his death, but neither can I ignore it. It reminds me that I am beholden to my Sovereign. If that instrument had been an electric chair, than, in his honor, that would be our emblem. It is both our pride and our humility. I'm proud that my God loves me that much, humbled that it had to come to that.

Perhaps where this issue divides is that those who askew the cross see it as morbid and defeating. We who honor it, wonder why others would be offended. It seems that opponents are trying to avoid the reality of our sin...yes, our offense against God is so great, that Jesus had to be torn, bled, and slaughtered.

BTW, there is no doubt that some sinners use the cross in vain. The fault lies with the sinner, not the cross.

I would never wear a cross nor display one in my house but I think it is an important symbol. I'm happy to admit that Jesus suffered in the garden but the cross has some extra things to it. It was the final sacrifice of our Lord for us. It marked the height of his willing degradation, he not only become "flesh", he not only served us, he suffered the humiliation of a death reserved for the lowest. The king of kings murdered as a criminal.

I don't have any problems with the cross itself or with people who find religious meaning in it. I wasn't raised to revere this particular simbol of the Lord's sacrifice and so I don't use as a symbol of my adoration. I don't find the cross offensive so much as I find it unnecessary. But I do feel the reverence inside of the hearts of the people who do use it as part of their worship. It's all good, I guess.

Misshalfway, I could be fine with your approach. However, I do sense that some "take offense," at the cross. Or, perhaps they feel accused when such a question is raised. As Robert Millet likes to say, some LDS "argue to their distinctives." Because LDS look heavily to the Garden, which we Protestants and Catholics tend to give only scant attention, they want to highlight Gethsemane, and so dismiss the cross. Arguments like, "Would you wear an electric chair around your neck?" communicate to me a tone of disapproval, rather than "live and let live." Am I making sense?

Misshalfway, I could be fine with your approach. However, I do sense that some "take offense," at the cross. Or, perhaps they feel accused when such a question is raised. As Robert Millet likes to say, some LDS "argue to their distinctives." Because LDS look heavily to the Garden, which we Protestants and Catholics tend to give only scant attention, they want to highlight Gethsemane, and so dismiss the cross. Arguments like, "Would you wear an electric chair around your neck?" communicate to me a tone of disapproval, rather than "live and let live." Am I making sense?

Now I am not speaking for everyone else, am I?

BTW....LDS people do not dismiss the cross.