57% Would Like to Replace Entire Congress

bytor2112

While Democrats have become more supportive of the legislators, voters not affiliated with either major party have moved in the opposite direction. Today, 70% of those not affiliated with either major party would vote to replace all of the elected politicians in the House and Senate. That’s up from 62% last year.

Republicans, not surprisingly, overwhelmingly support replacing everyone in the Congress. Their views have not changed. But Republican voters are disenchanted with their team as much as the Congress itself: 69% of GOP Voters say Republicans in Congress are out of touch with the party base.

Interesting aticle, bytor- I liked the quoted section.

I was also intrigued by the following:

In the 20th century, turnover began to decline. As power and prestige flowed to Washington during the New Deal era, fewer and fewer members of Congress wanted to leave. In 1968, congressional turnover fell to single digits for the first time ever, and it has remained very low ever since.

Give the governmet more power, and the politicans suddenly like it a lot better- resulting in more dirty tactis employed so that they retain their seats.

In the 20th century, turnover began to decline. As power and prestige flowed to Washington during the New Deal era, fewer and fewer members of Congress wanted to leave. In 1968, congressional turnover fell to single digits for the first time ever, and it has remained very low ever since.

That right there needs to change. These are people who have spent decades being fawned over and petted by lobbyists, and have come to think this is what American people want. Get rid of the seniority system, give chairmanships and seats by random lottery, and offer the same health care/pension to all citizens that they, our public servants, enjoy. They write laws..big wow. Put them on an HMO.

funny cliche's ....but seriously, the wealthiest members of Congress are......Democrats. Busy ruling their fiefdoms, I am sure.

And the poorest states in the union are Republican. Obviously, that's their well-thought out business practices.

PS, Bytor, I'm just making a point. ;) Most of the wealthiest states are Democrats, so it makes sense the people from those states would be wealthier. The exception to this, of course, is Texas.

And the poorest states in the union are Republican. Obviously, that's their well-thought out business practices.

PS, Bytor, I'm just making a point. ;) Most of the wealthiest states are Democrats, so it makes sense the people from those states would be wealthier. The exception to this, of course, is Texas.

I don't think it is that simple......people flee many of the solidly blue states in droves, like Michigan, for better opportunity elsewhere. The South of course is mostly Red and has the majority of the minority population.

I believe that no represenative should make more than the average of the people they represent. This would allow more average people access to running for office.

Does anyone have a good reason why a represenative should make more than the people the represent? I believe making much more gives elected officials the wrong idea of who works for who and who is important.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

I'm also for just picking up the whitehouse and capitol building with a big helicopter, and plopping them down in the middle of some guy's field in Iowa and making that the new capitol. Wanna build a zillion offices for all the lobbyists and lawyers and unions and illuminati cronies and whanot? Sorry - farmer Jones is relying on this harvest.

I'm also for just picking up the whitehouse and capitol building with a big helicopter, and plopping them down in the middle of some guy's field in Iowa and making that the new capitol. Wanna build a zillion offices for all the lobbyists and lawyers and unions and illuminati cronies and whanot? Sorry - farmer Jones is relying on this harvest.

Brilliant. You too, miztrniceguy.