Public resistance to church...why?

prisonchaplain

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The producer was interviewed by our local Christian radio station. Quite frankly, the title through me. The Church does so much good, and constant refrain of hypocrites in the church seems so overdrawn to me. BUT, the hosts and producer suggested that we relax, here what people are saying, perhaps even admit some of our flaws, and then be amazed that there are many opportunities for us to interact fruitfully with people that are more busied and cautious than truly Anti or opposed. True, we must be Spirit-driven, not market driven. Nevertheless, if we would reach the lost, it surely does not hurt to listen to them a bit. BTW, the producer is pro-church.

I think it is a symptom of our society's ability to spread info so rapidly and the fact that it can be done by anyone. Same thing with politics. This causes 3 things imo.

1 the divide that does exist becomes exaggerated. A discussion between PC and Pam can become LDS vs Evangical.com/blog, and be read by thousand in a matter of hours.

2 The divide that does exist becomes more noticeable as i can watch a baptist preacher and some missionaries "go at it" on youtube where as before i would have to attend a baptist church to hear the difference of opinion.

3 It gives people a "safer way to discuss these things, particularly the non religious who have not been them most accepted group in this country.Lets face it , allot of this countries public policy has stemmed from the "religious right" and no the religious left and non religious have more of a voice.

The producer was interviewed by our local Christian radio station. Quite frankly, the title through me. The Church does so much good, and constant refrain of hypocrites in the church seems so overdrawn to me. BUT, the hosts and producer suggested that we relax, here what people are saying, perhaps even admit some of our flaws, and then be amazed that there are many opportunities for us to interact fruitfully with people that are more busied and cautious than truly Anti or opposed. True, we must be Spirit-driven, not market driven. Nevertheless, if we would reach the lost, it surely does not hurt to listen to them a bit. BTW, the producer is pro-church.

After reading the posts and looking at the website I am looking foreword to this movie. I enjoyed Religulous and am sure I will enjoy this as well.

You know the one thing that really stands out to me about this post is the whole thing about reaching the lost. Why if someone is not christian do they have to be lost? Once again here we are with narrow minded point of view my religion is the only/best one. Christian or lds or catholic or anything is not the only way to "heaven" or a good place in the afterlife.

Doesn't most religion teach that ego and being proud is a bad thing? And isnt believing your way is the only/best way a form of egotism? Something to think about before you judge people who are not of the christian persuasion as "lost" eh?

The church now needs a ninth quorum of Seventies in dealing with the global internet and blogging. In calling those who are handicapped/emeritus High Priests and Sisters who cannot leave there homes for health reasons, can aid the church in this area. The suggestion is in but we need to remember, the 'church grinds slowly for a wiser purpose'. :D

After reading the posts and looking at the website I am looking foreword to this movie. I enjoyed Religulous and am sure I will enjoy this as well.

You know the one thing that really stands out to me about this post is the whole thing about reaching the lost. Why if someone is not christian do they have to be lost? Once again here we are with narrow minded point of view my religion is the only/best one. Christian or lds or catholic or anything is not the only way to "heaven" or a good place in the afterlife.

Doesn't most religion teach that ego and being proud is a bad thing? And isnt believing your way is the only/best way a form of egotism? Something to think about before you judge people who are not of the christian persuasion as "lost" eh?

Lost, it's not a matter of me judging anyone. My Bible says that all are indeed lost without God. You. Me. The worst murderer, and the goodly neighbor across the way, that no one hears a peep from. There is none righteous, not one...all have sinned. So...we need God.

My Scriptures also tells me that Jesus came not to condemn but to save. So, that's the message we share.

Also...I do believe you'll enjoy the movie, because it takes people seriously, yet isn't afraid to snicker. On the other hand, it's not a mockumentary, like Religulous was.

Why not? :rolleyes:

You mean why not not pass??? Well, mainly because that would be a double negative. Seriously though, what makes you want to pass on this movie? It's not a mockumentary, the producer is a Christian, and the topic is on the minds of most church folk these days.

You mean why not not pass??? Well, mainly because that would be a double negative. Seriously though, what makes you want to pass on this movie? It's not a mockumentary, the producer is a Christian, and the topic is on the minds of most church folk these days.

That's cool and punny..."mockumentary"! Again, I'll pass...I've got bigger fish to fry, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Lost, it's not a matter of me judging anyone. My Bible says that all are indeed lost without God. You. Me. The worst murderer, and the goodly neighbor across the way, that no one hears a peep from. There is none righteous, not one...all have sinned. So...we need God.

My Scriptures also tells me that Jesus came not to condemn but to save. So, that's the message we share.

Also...I do believe you'll enjoy the movie, because it takes people seriously, yet isn't afraid to snicker. On the other hand, it's not a mockumentary, like Religulous was.

So you would consider someone like the Dalai Lama as lost? What about Siddharta Gautama?

I could go on for about 20 pages or so my point is God and Jesus are not the only way. Just as Buddhism Taoism Islam Judaism etc. etc. are not the only ways.

Religion is more cultural than spiritual more often than not.

No one religion has the market of truth cornered.

So you would consider someone like the Dalai Lama as lost? What about Siddharta Gautama?

I could go on for about 20 pages or so my point is God and Jesus are not the only way. Just as Buddhism Taoism Islam Judaism etc. etc. are not the only ways.

If someone offers help, do you thank him/her, or do you curse the fact that they only want to help in one particular way?

If someone offers help, do you thank him/her, or do you curse the fact that they only want to help in one particular way?

When disusing religion we are not talking about help. We are talking about spiritual truth in christian terms salvation. You wanna mow my lawn that helps me out be my guest. I don't care if you use a machine or fingernail clippers. You wanna talk about the salvation of my eternal soul and tell me if I don't believe like you do then I am lost well then we got an issue.

Your way (I don't care what way it is) is NOT the only way.

It is not of ourselves that say that we only repeat what Jesus Himself says.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and

the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto

you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his

blood, ye have no life in you.

John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath

eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink

indeed.

John 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood,

dwelleth in me, and I in him.

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the

Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

John 6:58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not

as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of

this bread shall live for ever.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,

even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish,

but have eternal life.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only

begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,

but have everlasting life.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn

the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he

that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not

believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Jesus said it, I believe Him.

I just repeat what He said.

Bro. Rudick

It is not of ourselves that say that we only repeat what Jesus Himself says.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and

the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto

you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his

blood, ye have no life in you.

John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath

eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink

indeed.

John 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood,

dwelleth in me, and I in him.

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the

Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

John 6:58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not

as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of

this bread shall live for ever.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,

even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish,

but have eternal life.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only

begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,

but have everlasting life.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn

the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he

that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not

believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Jesus said it, I believe Him.

I just repeat what He said.

Bro. Rudick

This what a nameless author writing in another persons name who never met Jesus said that's what Jesus said. I like to get my information from the horses mouth not from questionable literature.

This what a nameless author writing in another persons name who never met Jesus said that's what Jesus said. I like to get my information from the horses mouth not from questionable literature.

Oh. OK.

I was only giving you the reason Christians believe the way they do.

Was not commentating myself on your state before Christ.

Bro. Rudick

See - Here's the problem:

As Christians, we can't be ambiguous on this. When Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the light and no one(Emphasis mine) comes to the Father except through me.", we have to accept it. If Jesus has said he is the only way to heaven, then we must preach of truth. Anyone who says, "Sure, he's one way, but there are lots of ways to Heaven.", then they are basically saying Jesus was either lying or mistaken when he said that.

So yes: We must say the truth, that there is only one way to heaven. Regardless of who is offended, we must preach the truth. We needn't be aggressive or rude, but when asked we can not be ambiguous on that point. It is a centerpoint.

We can have an answer for why we believe we do, but we must only preach truth.

See - Here's the problem:

As Christians, we can't be ambiguous on this. When Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the light and no one(Emphasis mine) comes to the Father except through me.", we have to accept it. If Jesus has said he is the only way to heaven, then we must preach of truth. Anyone who says, "Sure, he's one way, but there are lots of ways to Heaven.", then they are basically saying Jesus was either lying or mistaken when he said that.

So yes: We must say the truth, that there is only one way to heaven. Regardless of who is offended, we must preach the truth. We needn't be aggressive or rude, but when asked we can not be ambiguous on that point. It is a centerpoint.

We can have an answer for why we believe we do, but we must only preach truth.

Biased truth as you admit you as a christian see it right?