Starbucks Hot Chocolate?

llamanade

So on occastion I enjoy going to Starbucks and getting their hot chocolate. But today I was looking at the nutrition info and it says that it's made with mocha syrup. I don't know exactly what mocha syrup is, but I have never heard the word "mocha" used for anything but coffee.

What exactly is it? Should I stop drinking their hot chocolate? :confused:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really you guys are worried about the hot choclate at starbucks?

To someone that has a willingness to follow the WoW...I can see the OP's concern with the question given. It's a fair question.

has anyone ever eaten bannans foster? crepe suzzette, steak diane? coq au vin? bread pudding? coffe icecream? the list can go on and on.....

anyone ever eaten at a french resutrant? Italian?

The only reason I bring this up is because many many food and desserts have a component of someting that is "bad" for you in it.

are there not bigger fish to fry than to worry about a lil mocca in your hot choclate?

when you go out to eat do you ask what the ingredients are in all of your foods?

will this make one untemple worthy?

Look I am all for the WoW but does it not seem to others that it can be taken to the extreme?

So on occastion I enjoy going to Starbucks and getting their hot chocolate. But today I was looking at the nutrition info and it says that it's made with mocha syrup. I don't know exactly what mocha syrup is, but I have never heard the word "mocha" used for anything but coffee.

What exactly is it? Should I stop drinking their hot chocolate? :confused:

what i found

hot coco contains about .62 mg of caffeine per fluid ounce Caffeine in Hot Cocoa

so an 8 ounce hot coco drink would have about 5 mg of caffeine

Starbucks hot coco contains 15mg per 8 ounce cup starbucks® beverages | Starbucks Coffee Company or 3x the amount one would expect from pure hot coco.

I don't know if you can get the exact ingredients list for their mocha syrup but they are adding caffeine somehow.

Why do you have a problem with someone asking a question about the contents in a hot chocolate drink? It was a simple question. Why do you care what foods or drinks people personally choose to indulge in or not? All of us are different in how we follow the Word of Wisdom. But what is happening is a judgment of those by stating they are taking things to extreme. So what if the OP is concerned about the term mocha in a drink they enjoy and wanted a clarification?

Is it wrong to question and be able to make a personal decision if that is something they want to continue with? It's a personal decision. If a person wants to follow the Word of Wisdom to an "extreme" as you call it..then that's their decision. It's not for you, for me, or anyone else to call their decisions extreme.

Haha...wow.. This is the last topic in the world I would have expected to cause any sort of heat. :P (despite it being hot chocolate...;) )

It was just a simple question. I didn't know what mocha syrup was, and while I was pretty sure they weren't dumping coffee in their hot chocolate, I just wanted to be sure. I know next to nothing about coffee lingo so I didn't know what mocha was, exactly.

Thanks for cleaing it up. :) Glad to know I don't have to worry about it. And yes, I do try to follow to WoW as best I can, though I wouldn't say I'm a fanatic. I do drink a little Coke now and then, and that's a whole new can of worms... so I'm not perfect by any means.

I am glad the question was asked as I was wondering about it as well. I personally can't drink Starbuck's hot chocolate, I had it once and the taste is so nasty that I had to throw it away. I felt pretty bad about it because someone else had paid for it. However, their strawberries and creme drink is something I could have everyday if it weren't terribly fattening for me.

Starbucks has two different hot chocolates (unless they have took their newer Signature Hot Chocolate off the menu since I quit working there). I got to made both of them every day; their regular hot chocolate is made by mixing a premixed powder and hot/then cold water. That hot chocolate is made with a semi-sweet, more bitter chocolate than something like Nestle Hot Chocolate powdered mix you'd find in the store. They put pumps of the "mocha sauce" in the bottom of your cup then add steamed milk (and flavor if you ask for it), then whip cream. The signature hot chocolate is sweeter and creamier (and more fattening). ;) But it was SOOOO good. It was also made from a premixed powder and milk. Did anyone ever try the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate? OHHH, was it good. Salty and sweet... There's NO COFFEE in the hot chocolate unless you order espresso shots in it, or order coffee added to it.

has anyone ever eaten bannans foster? crepe suzzette, steak diane? coq au vin? bread pudding? coffe icecream? the list can go on and on.....

anyone ever eaten at a french resutrant? Italian?

The only reason I bring this up is because many many food and desserts have a component of someting that is "bad" for you in it.

are there not bigger fish to fry than to worry about a lil mocca in your hot choclate?

when you go out to eat do you ask what the ingredients are in all of your foods?

will this make one untemple worthy?

Look I am all for the WoW but does it not seem to others that it can be taken to the extreme?

Actually, yes. Whenever I order off a menu, if either the title or the description gives me suspicion that it may contain something that will run against my interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, then yes, I ask about it. To deride anyone for making every reasonable effort to follow God's commandments is crossing into the rude.

will227457, the original poster was asking a question that had to do with her own convictions and conscience. Why would her personal convictions, or the fact that she wants to be careful to keep them bother you? And why would you feel the need to mock her? You're a fellow member, right? Why not encourage instead of discourage?

Actually, yes. Whenever I order off a menu, if either the title or the description gives me suspicion that it may contain something that will run against my interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, then yes, I ask about it. To deride anyone for making every reasonable effort to follow God's commandments is crossing into the rude.

but what if your order something and you don't know it has a "bad" item in it?

what then?

but what if your order something and you don't know it has a "bad" item in it?

what then?

I imagine they'd end up eating it, baring them figuring out it contained something they'd rather not consume before they did so. People generally consume the things they order don't they?