Star of Bethlehem

kiwibabee

I was just reading a pamphlet from the Jehovah Witnesses. In there it was talking about the star that showed the way for the wise men to Jesus. It made mention that the Star of Bethlehem was really from Satan, as it brought the wise men to King Harod, and he sent out the extermination order, and only good things would the Lord have sent. I didn't believe it, but I was wondering what were others thoughts on this.

I was just reading a pamphlet from the Jehovah Witnesses. In there it was talking about the star that showed the way for the wise men to Jesus. It made mention that the Star of Bethlehem was really from Satan, as it brought the wise men to King Harod, and he sent out the extermination order, and only good things would the Lord have sent. I didn't believe it, but I was wondering what were others thoughts on this.

:rolleyes:

Or as the Valley girls say, "What-EVAR!!"

My theory – the star was a supernova that exploded about 600 light years from earth. The star was so bright and had such energy that for a short time it was as bright as our sun and it caused the ionosphere to floras like a florescent light turning night in to the light of day and since it was the entire ionosphere there were no shadows.

It is a religious theory that there will be another supernova but this time at about the 400 light years from earth. This will create an energy storm that without divine intervention all life will be destroyed and burned from earth. There will be another star. It has already exploded and it effect is on its way. Merry Christmas.

The Traveler

Another theory is that the star was actually an alignment of planets. The wise men did meet with Herod on their way to see the Child, but he was on their way. Herod thought they might be who he was looking for because they were kings. It doesn't mean that Satan led them there. Satan would rather bring down Christ anyway, than three wise men from the East.

So, how about, the 3 Wise Men are actually from Satan because they ratted out Jesus to Herod? Or, how about, Herod is Satan? Or how about, Harry Potter is from Satan? I would like to just go ahead and blame everything on Satan... like this Milano double chocolate cookies I'm eating. Has to be from Satan. Or maybe it is my bathroom scale that is from Satan...

So, how about, the 3 Wise Men are actually from Satan because they ratted out Jesus to Herod? Or, how about, Herod is Satan? Or how about, Harry Potter is from Satan? I would like to just go ahead and blame everything on Satan... like this Milano double chocolate cookies I'm eating. Has to be from Satan. Or maybe it is my bathroom scale that is from Satan...

Not meant as an argument, but do we really know how many wise men there were? or just that 3 gifts were mentioned?

Anyway, the star was a sign of the birth of Christ. Satan also sees signs sent from God and can cause bad things to happen in an effort to counteract them, but that does not mean the sign was from Satan.

I was just reading a pamphlet from the Jehovah Witnesses.

It made mention that the Star of Bethlehem was really from Satan, as it brought the wise men to King Harod, and he sent out the extermination order, and only good things would the Lord have sent.

JW pamphlets have the coolest artwork in them. See if you can get the one that has the whore of babylon riding her beast. Better than a lot of comic books out there.

If you're looking for sound doctrine though, there are lots of better places than a JW pamphlet. Their brand of doctrine seems to spring from "sounds sort of good, given certain fundamentally different concepts of agency and scripture interpretation".

LM

This reminds me of the SNL Church Lady skit where moving the letters that spell Santa, you get Satan.

Well, isn't that special.(Church Lady's line)

Not meant as an argument, but do we really know how many wise men there were? or just that 3 gifts were mentioned?

Anyway, the star was a sign of the birth of Christ. Satan also sees signs sent from God and can cause bad things to happen in an effort to counteract them, but that does not mean the sign was from Satan.

Also the fact that the wise men did not first see the Christ child in the manger.

Wisemen is plural, but a specific # doesn't exist. (That being said, would Larry, Curly, and Moe be in bad taste?)

The sign was NOT some big flashy thing. When the Magi eventually show up (sometime after the birth, but within 2 years [as determined by Governer Boggs, er, I mean: Herod's Extermination Order]) and meet with Herod, neither he nor his counselors - ONLY LIVING A COUPLE MILES AWAY FROM THE BIRTH SITE - have ANY idea what the wise men are talking about.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear... He who has eyes to see, let him see. This is how the Lord usually works. For example, do you remember when President Hinckley announced that the prophecy of Joel was fulfilled? Everyone and their dog began trying to pinpoint exactly when it was that the fulfillment occurred.

Ousted by friends and family b/c Mary's pregnancy would render the host's house (and all therein) unclean, He was born in a cave and slept in a food trough; neon signs flashing "THIS WAY TO EXALTATION" wasn't really His style.

It's an important lesson we LDS need to learn if we really hope to watch and be prepared for His return.

Ya know if I was trying to follow a star somewhere, I probably wouldn't get terribly close to the mark. I would likely get as close as I thought I could and then look for the next best thing, i.e. palace. Honestly I probably would have done what they did if I were in their position. Besides, if the star were from satan, because it led to Herod, his guidance to Christ must have also come from Satan.