Priesthood Blessings for Weight Loss?

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

Well, I can tell you this. If I get evaluated like this when I ask, I prolly wouldn't ask very often.

I'm not sure how this is "evaluating" a person. You mean equating a desire for greater weight loss as on the same plane as breaking the Word of Wisdom?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking what Miss 1/2 means (and hopefully she will correct me if I'm wrong) is the idea of being evaluated when asking for a Priesthood blessing. It's almost as if a value is being placed on the importance or relevance of needing a blessing in a given situation. Would a person deny giving a blessing because they didn't think the reason of importance? I think what Miss 1/2 is saying..she hopes when she asks for a Priesthood blessing (which she would feel is important) those thoughts of evaluating aren't going through the mind of the one being asked.

TY Pam, you are understanding me. Usually when I am asking for a blessing, it concerns something personal. Some inner struggle or pain or heartfelt desire. And I am not asking for a blessing from a person. I am asking God to intervene and allowing a person to be there as a tool. The last thing I need at that moment is for the priesthood holder in question to start evaluating the effectiveness of my plea or judging the value/intent of my request as if they had the wisdom or the place to decide what is worthy of God's attention.

Maybe what I am saying is that the involvement of another into my problems or struggles is a sacred thing. I trust that person to tread carefully. And I think the process works better when no one allows this humanness to get in the way of the conversation between me and God. I would think it would also be a precarious position to allow oneself to judge another based upon the wording of a request. So much one can't know from so little information.

Sometimes I won't tell the priesthood holder the nature of my request or my feelings just so I can be sure the counsel is coming from the spirit and just so I can be sure my feelings are kept protected.

Yeah, I don't necessarily need to know why someone is asking me for a blessing, and I don't usually inquire. I do try to find out afterwards if there is anything I can possibly do to be of assistance, but other than that, I simply strive to give the blessing according to our combined faith, and the revelation of the Spirit.

If they do talk to me about the problem, I try my best to be of comfort and counsel to them by word and deed.

Regards,

Vanhin

My wife gained around 50 pounds thru her pregnancies with our three children. She asked for a priesthood blessing to help her lose weight and I gave her one.

She worked diligently at exercise and eating right for around a year and I do believe she has lost around 40 pounds. She did a half marathon in October 2009. She has been an inspiration to me and some of her close associates and they too have started losing weight. She is in better shape than me now in some areas.

I think a desire to have your body be in good condition is a righteous desire especially if you want to use yourself in the Lord's service.

Now Snow..that's not quite fair. I know you have never had to worry about weight..but for those of us that have and do..it's not the easiest thing. Certainly not worth a comment stating to grow a backbone.

Pam,

To be fair, you don't know whether or not I worry about it. Actually I don't worry much because I am very diligent in doing the necessary things to maintain myself at the weight I prefer. It doesn't happen by accident.

I am not making the point that people who have a BMI different than mine are any more or less "good" than I am. I am, however, making the point that if a person wants to get to a lessor weight, it's not divine intervention that is required. It's commitment, knowledge and follow-through.

Here's an intellectual exercise to prove my point.

Put 10 people in one group and have them pray about losing weight and get priesthood blessings to that effect.

Put another 10 in another group that adhere to a rigorous plan of correct diet and exercise over the course of 120 days.

Measure the collective weight loss/gain of both groups. Who do you think is going to lose weight.

Put another way... people lament that they don't get no respect. The retort is: If you want to be esteemed, commit estimable acts. If your desire is to lose or maintain your weight, do acts that result is weight loss or weight maintenance.

Note: please note that I am not making a value judgement about weight. I am making a comment about activities and attitudes that lend themselves weight loss and maintenance for those that are so inclined.

Edited by Snow

Pam,

To be fair, you don't know whether or not I worry about it. Actually I don't worry much because I am very diligent in doing the necessary things to maintain myself at the weight I prefer. It doesn't happen by accident.

Okay I will stand corrected on this matter. Since I have met you in person, it "appears" you are one that wouldn't have to worry about any weight issues.

Guest mormonmusic

Pam,

Put 10 people in one group and have them pray about losing weight and get priesthood blessings to that effect.

Put another 10 in another group that adhere to a rigorous plan of correct diet and exercise over the course of 120 days.

Measure the collective weight loss/gain of both groups. Who do you think is going to lose weight

Snow, I think you're missing a very important group here -- the group of people who adhere to a rigorous plan AND who receive a priesthood blessing to strengthen them in their battle over their body. This group will most likely outperform the other two groups.

Also, I think one has to be careful of being judgmental. I had a challenge that required tremendous self-discipline over a period of 15 years, and conquered it successfully. I see scores of other people around me that haven't been able to exercise that level of discipline and have suffered tremendously as a result. I have to be careful -- to check myself -- that I don't start being judgmental of their lack of stamina simply because I managed to do it.

Snow, I think you're missing a very important group here -- the group of people who adhere to a rigorous plan AND who receive a priesthood blessing to strengthen them in their battle over their body. This group will most likely outperform the other two groups.

And why is that more likely?

This is exactly the type of thing where controlled experimentation can be performed. Are you aware of any evidence that supports your theory?

Also, I think one has to be careful of being judgmental. I had a challenge that required tremendous self-discipline over a period of 15 years, and conquered it successfully. I see scores of other people around me that haven't been able to exercise that level of discipline and have suffered tremendously as a result. I have to be careful -- to check myself -- that I don't start being judgmental of their lack of stamina simply because I managed to do it.

Like any achievement oriented endeavor, there are those that will apply themselves, persistently and successfully and there will be those that don't. I'm making no judgements about whether one should, only about how, should one so apply themselves, it is done.

Okay I will stand corrected on this matter. Since I have met you in person, it "appears" you are one that wouldn't have to worry about any weight issues.

No worries. I certainly don't have the body type that naturally lends itself to weight gain like others do but I do work diligently on my weight. Of course, I struggle with my own set of other demons. Everybody battles something.

This is where I see the problem. Some people want blessings to lose weight. They want to lose it, but they don't seem to want to put the required effort into doing it, such as taking into their body less calories than they expend and regularly exercising vigorously for at least 30 minutes/day. They want the 'magic bullet'. So they ask you for a blessing for them to lose weight. What happens when you give them a 'lose weight' blessing and they still do nothing and they don't lose the weight? Will they then blame God for their weight and then justify in their minds that God really wanted them to be heavy since He didn't magically take it off for them?

People need to understand that in order for them to reach goals they need to put in some effort. Arnold Swartzenegger(sp?) didn't get to be a champion bodybuilder by accident, or by sitting around waiting for God to bless him to be lean and muscular, and he didn't get pudgy later just because he fell out of favor with God.

I don't have a problem giving a priesthood blessing for someone to have the willpower or ability to conquer their cravings or even with the required health needed to help them exercise and be more active, but I don't think it's right to give a 'magic bullet' blessing, to automatically lose weight with no effort on their part. They need to be invested in receiving the blessing, and that means they need to do as much as they can, and then if that is not enough, that's when God steps in and fills the gaps where they are lacking. To me, that is where the priesthood blessing comes in.

Guest mormonmusic

And why is that more likely?

This is exactly the type of thing where controlled experimentation can be performed. Are you aware of any evidence that supports your theory?

Only the non-scientific volumes of scripture that teach us to rely not on the arm of flesh, the miracles the Savior worked when people came to him asking for blessings of strength, the healings he performed, as well as the abiding feeling of strength I have when I feel the Lord is with me, the faith I have that the priesthood carries the power of God. Also the healing I've seen happen through priesthood blessings. Ether's promise that if we humble ourselves before God He will make weak things become strong onto him. And asking for a blessing for help, to me signifies humility. Also the savior's reliance on God in the Garden of Gethsemane, who then sent angels to strengthen him.

Beyond my faith in the power of God to strengthen the human spirit, and all those scriptures, and my own experience, I have no evidence.

And on that note, can you cite a study that had a group of randomly selected weight loss candidates who received no blessing, which acted as a control group, with another, experimental group that received the independent variable, a blessing, with the dependent variable being number of pounds lost over a set period -- with each group tightly controlled for attention to diet and exercise? And a resulting t-test or z-test (depending whether we know the population standard deviation) on the difference between two means showing no significant difference (p<.025, one-tailed)?

Just curious, since you posed the question....

Arnold Swartzenegger(sp?) didn't get to be a champion bodybuilder by accident, or by sitting around waiting for God to bless him to be lean and muscular, and he didn't get pudgy later just because he fell out of favor with God.

You're right. He took initiative and used illicit steroids.

Only the non-scientific volumes of scripture that teach us to rely not on the arm of flesh, the miracles the Savior worked when people came to him asking for blessings of strength, the healings he performed, as well as the abiding feeling of strength I have when I feel the Lord is with me, the faith I have that the priesthood carries the power of God. Also the healing I've seen happen through priesthood blessings. Ether's promise that if we humble ourselves before God He will make weak things become strong onto him. And asking for a blessing for help, to me signifies humility. Also the savior's reliance on God in the Garden of Gethsemane, who then sent angels to strengthen him.

Beyond my faith in the power of God to strengthen the human spirit, and all those scriptures, and my own experience, I have no evidence.

I know you didn't. It was a rhetorical question.

And on that note, can you cite a study that had a group of randomly selected weight loss candidates who received no blessing, which acted as a control group, with another, experimental group that received the independent variable, a blessing, with the dependent variable being number of pounds lost over a set period -- with each group tightly controlled for attention to diet and exercise? And a resulting t-test or z-test (depending whether we know the population standard deviation) on the difference between two means showing no significant difference (p<.025, one-tailed)?

Just curious, since you posed the question....

You made the claim. You bear the burden of proof. You can't very well meet your burden by asking me to prove you wrong.

Pam,

Measure the collective weight loss/gain of both groups. Who do you think is going to lose weight.

And and if we have this third group that prays, receives a priesthood blessing and adheres to a rigorous plan of correct diet and exercise over the course of 120 days, it wold be interesting to find out, how many of group two and tree stick to that plan?

This is not the way how prayers or blessings work! Work as if everything depends on you and pray as if everything depends on the Lord. Asking for a blessing without the intention to do something yourself is stupid, and I don't think anybody was considering this! Sorry!

:cool:

Edited by stormwitch

And and if we have this third group that prays, receives a priesthood blessing and adheres to a rigorous plan of correct diet and exercise over the course of 120 days, it wold be interesting to find out, how many of group two and tree stick to that plan?

This is not the way how prayers or blessings work! Work as if everything depends on you and pray as if everything depends on the Lord. Asking for a blessing without the intention to do something yourself is stupid, and I don't think anybody was considering this! Sorry!

:cool:

That's not the impression I was getting.

Well, maybe it is different in different countries, but here we are told, that we cannot pray for anything being not willing to do our part. And I always thought that scriptures and general authorities supported this opinion.

If you are praying for losing weight and you do nothing to get this result, then we are back to "O Lord, won't you give me a Mercedes Benz..." or please give me white teeth or whatever...

I would have called that common sense... but obviously it is not as common as I thought

;)

Asking for a blessing without the intention to do something yourself is stupid, and I don't think anybody was considering this! Sorry!

Stormwitch I think you are misunderstanding what John Doe was saying. When you said you didn't think anyone had considered that..he was saying that wasn't the impression he got. That people HAD thought of it.

Read the following and then formulate what is correct answer - Encyclopedia of Mormonism 4 vols.

by Daniel H. Ludlow

Priesthood Blessings

Priesthood blessings are pronounced in connection with most of the essential ordinances of the gospel: blessing and naming children; confirmation; ordination to the priesthood; setting apart; and other occasions. In addition, any person may request a blessing at the hands of a worthy Melchizedek Priesthood bearer at any time. The person who does so is usually seeking inspired counsel and asking for official prayer and blessing under the hands of one who is authorized and discerning.

In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the priesthood is not a centralized elite. Ideally, the priesthood is held by every husband and father. The home is viewed as his constant and most important ministry, regardless of the offices he may hold in the Church. One who seeks a priesthood blessing is encouraged to approach father or brother, bishop or home teachers rather than prominent Church authorities. In principle and in practice, this recognizes the diversity of spiritual gifts, the individual heritage of faith, and the shared sanctity of priesthood service.

Priesthood blessings are usually conferred by laying on of hands, which is seen as the New Testament pattern. Exceptions are found in administering the Sacrament and in apostolic blessings given to a congregation (see HC 2:120; 5:473).

All priesthood blessings are given in the name of Jesus Christ and by authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood (so named to avoid the too frequent repetition of its sacred title [D&C 107:4]). The blessing process may vary according to circumstance and individual need: e.g., the extent of preparation, the use of consecrated oil, involvement of other persons as participants or witnesses, recording or writing the blessing (often the counsel is to "write it in your heart"), and whether and when further blessings may be appropriate. Blessings given by a father to his wife are known as husband's blessings, to his children as father's blessings; those given by a patriarch, as patriarchal blessings; when related to a personal crisis or need, as comfort blessings; those given in response to illness or injury, as administration to the sick.

Priesthood blessings are to be "spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit" (D&C 63:64). To refuse to give a blessing when one is called or to attempt to give a blessing when one is unworthy is to "trifle with [sacred] things" (D&C 8:10).

In giving blessings, priesthood bearers are constantly admonished to seek the Spirit. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, "The Holy Ghost is God's messenger to administer in all those priesthoods" (TPJS, p. 323). The officiator strives for the promptings and impressions of the Holy Ghost, and these may not be what he anticipated or planned. By fasting and prayer, by experience in the things of God, and by patience, he learns to distinguish authentic inspiration from subjective factors that distort or mislead. He strives during the blessing to use appropriate language to express the ideas that impress his mind by the Spirit. The process is often strenuous: Jesus felt virtue go out of him at the touch of the woman of faith (Mark 5:25-34). Similarly, one who seeks to serve in blessing others "is liable to become weakened" (TPJS, p. 281).

Recipients are charged to unite their faith in God and Christ with the faith of others present, and to bring contrite and teachable hearts. Concentration and communion are required for both receiving and understanding blessings. As blessings are pronounced, the recipients are to take to heart the counsel offered, and adjust their lives accordingly. In cases where the recipients are unconscious, infirm, or out of touch, the main burden of faith is upon the person pronouncing the blessing, and other concerned persons present.

The efficacy of priesthood blessings is not presumed to be automatic or formulaic, or simply a matter of saying the right words. Priesthood authority does not entitle one to act independently of God, but rather bestows the right to seek the mind and will of God and then to transmit it through the priesthood blessing. Neither can a blessing be given with intent to infringe on the recipient's own agency but "only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned" (D&C 121:41). These are called "the principles of righteousness" (D&C 121:36). Unless they are complied with, the blessing "is of no use, but withdraws" (TPJS, p. 148).

Latter-day Saints cherish priesthood blessings as a vital source of grace in facing the crossroads, crises, setbacks, anxieties, and decisions of life. Those who give and receive blessings at the hands of the priesthood in this spirit are lifted up and sustained, and healed in mind, body, and spirit.

Bibliography"Performing Priesthood Blessings and Ordinances." Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, 1988, pp. 151-55.

J. ELLIOT CAMERON

Interesting to find this article in the LDS Ensign: LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Weight-Loss Battle: Helping Your Body Win

Edited by Hemidakota