Goth Mormon from Phoenix, AZ

GothLDSMrthnRunnr

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening:

I just wanted to introduce myself, and see where it leads. My name is Justin and I am a recent convert to the Church of Jesus Christ For Latter Day Saints. I am looking for a forum where I can start a dialogue with some of you, of different ages and backgrounds with the aim of seeking advice. I do like to have religious discussions with people face-to-face but sometimes the anonymity aspect does appeal to me. I currently go to a family ward in Phoenix, AZ and I feel a little out of place since I feel like I do not fit the mold of my fellow brothers and sisters there. I have no family in the Church, my politics tend to be left-leaning, and I have a background in the Goth lifestyle. So far everyone in my ward has been nice to me. I initially became interested in the Church through observing several of my LDS coworkers. On an outdoors trip through Utah where I managed to do some hiking in Springdale and Moab, I managed to take a tour of the temple in Salt Lake City and I was impressed with the Church and how it was organized. I requested a study, and two sister missionaries taught me about Heavenly Father and the Savior. I completed my studies and on November 28th I was baptized as a member of the Church. I am in good standing, I serve in the priesthood and I have a goal of visiting the Mesa Temple one day so I can work on my family history.

I believe the Church is truly a great one, its Prophets are humble and supportive, and the words found in the holy writings are true. From my household to yours, I wish all of you and your families a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a better new year. CTR. God Bless.

- Justin

Edited by GothLDSMrthnRunnr
Bad Spelling, 'twas quite late when I wrote this.

Guest mormonmusic

Welcome! I wouldn't let the Goth background and left-leaning political values make you feel alienated. We have lots of left-leaning people in the Church, although my hunch is they are not the majority.

Looking forward to some of your posts -- you appear to like Edgar Allen Poe -- correct?

"Once upon a midnight weary, while I pondered weak and weary, over many a curious and forgotten volume of lore...."

Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.

Would you mind sharing what Stake you are in in Phoenix. I am in Phx North Stake. I might know someone in your area.

Goth. Left. Single. Those do stand out a little. Still, I have good friends that share those qualities with you, I hope your ward will have the sense to ignore the differences and embrace a brother in Christ.

:)

Welcome! I wouldn't let the Goth background and left-leaning political values make you feel alienated. We have lots of left-leaning people in the Church, although my hunch is they are not the majority.

Looking forward to some of your posts -- you appear to like Edgar Allen Poe -- correct?

"Once upon a midnight weary, while I pondered weak and weary, over many a curious and forgotten volume of lore...."

Hi MM:

I do like Poe... I'm also a fan of Lovecraft, Ligotti, and some of the scary parts of the Bible. :o

What music do u like / play?

- Justin

Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.

Would you mind sharing what Stake you are in in Phoenix. I am in Phx North Stake. I might know someone in your area.

Goth. Left. Single. Those do stand out a little. Still, I have good friends that share those qualities with you, I hope your ward will have the sense to ignore the differences and embrace a brother in Christ.

Hi RanMan (a fellow marathon runner perhaps?)

I do belong to the Phoenix North Stake and I have met President Paul Beck on several occasions. I live in the North Phoenix / Glendale area. Since I am relatively new I do not know if I would have as much familiarity with everyone in my stake as you do, but I appreciate your help.

- Justin

ok....mesa was my first temple.....and it will always hold a special place for me...

welcome..

do not worry about your goth background being a hinderence...

my own background is from the hippie era and LOTS of drugs...along with other issues...

it's a question of seeking for truth.....undenyable...ultimate truth....right?

AND your journey along that path...

afterall.....life is YOUR journey and YOUR lessons to be learned....with REAL truth in mind....right?

that truth is yours to find.....some may guide you...and offer opinions....but YOUR truth is still yours to find...it is a glorious journey....not without pitfalls.....and trials....

is it worth it?

what do YOU think?

ok....mesa was my first temple.....and it will always hold a special place for me...

welcome..

do not worry about your goth background being a hinderence...

my own background is from the hippie era and LOTS of drugs...along with other issues...

it's a question of seeking for truth.....undenyable...ultimate truth....right?

AND your journey along that path...

afterall.....life is YOUR journey and YOUR lessons to be learned....with REAL truth in mind....right?

that truth is yours to find.....some may guide you...and offer opinions....but YOUR truth is still yours to find...it is a glorious journey....not without pitfalls.....and trials....

is it worth it?

what do YOU think?

Thank you D&C (Ha!) for your questions left to ponder. I have already read a few of your posts and perceive you have a lot of insight into the faith.

- Justin

Hi Goth and welcome to the site. Thanks for the intro a very good one. Yes sometimes it feels you are all alone if you have no family in Church. My heart aced for my husband to be there, it aces for my grandchildren to be there, to my cousins to be there, to my children (all of them ) to be there.... maybe someday. Yours too maybe... some day....

So officially:

Welcome to LDS.net. You will find here an ecclectic mix of LDS and some non-members. While the site is dedicated to the Gospel, and to promoting the Church to a world that often does not understand us, we also make room for conversations about current events, and about social and cultural practices within the Church. If your main desire is to learn about the Church, consider starting with the "Learn About Mormonism" forums. For more advanced teachings, that will often include a variety of perspectives, some non-LDS, consider the Gospel section of forums.

While you are welcome to all main sections, be aware this site makes room for a variety of opinions and personalities. Some posters can be passionate about their views, and occasionally more so about them than about the souls of visitors. If you find something particularly offensive, feel free to make a report by clicking the appropriate tab.

I do belong to the Phoenix North Stake and I have met President Paul Beck on several occasions. I live in the North Phoenix / Glendale area. Since I am relatively new I do not know if I would have as much familiarity with everyone in my stake as you do, but I appreciate your help.

- Justin

Nope, too fat and too old to run anything but my mouth.

Well, it's good to know that you are in my general area. Who knows, maybe we can meet some time.

hi! I like you already. I kind of get where you're coming from as far as sticking out in the ward (everyone else my age goes to the other high school and it creates plenty of awkward XP), but I am glad to know I'm not alone in being vaguely left sided :D

hi! I like you already. I kind of get where you're coming from as far as sticking out in the ward (everyone else my age goes to the other high school and it creates plenty of awkward XP), but I am glad to know I'm not alone in being vaguely left sided :D

I like you for your avatar alone. Thank you for the friendly welcome. heh...heh...

- Justin

• 2 weeks later...

- Justin

You met my future Mission President?! GAAAAHHHHHH!!!! WHAT'S HE LIKE?!?!?!?!

Nice to meet you by the way. :) I'm going to serve as a Spanish speaking Elder in the Phoenix mission.

You met my future Mission President?! GAAAAHHHHHH!!!! WHAT'S HE LIKE?!?!?!?!

Nice to meet you by the way. :) I'm going to serve as a Spanish speaking Elder in the Phoenix mission.

Hi YMR:

President Paul Beck seems nice and genuine. Listen to his advice, I believe you will benefit. I knew some of the Spanish speaking elders and sisters in the Phoenix North Stake, they're good people so I imagine that your transition will be fairly easy. As for the area, its typically middle class, and the people here are great.

- Justin