Hunger Games and Catching Fire

Nikkie85

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love this series! Don't tell anyone, but after my husband and I discovered Hunger Games, I of course put Catching Fire on my library holds list. My husband, however, could not wait. He went to the library, 'borrowed' Catching Fire from the hold stack by removing the sensor. He took it home and read all night, returned it to the library the next day and replaced the sensor.

Luckily, he has since graduated and gotten a sweet job so we will be first in line to BUY the third installment.

• 1 year later...

This was a very interesting series to read. Horrific really.

The writing style really annoyed me at first (kind of choppy and weird), but i found the story interesting enough to look past it. I read a review of this series where the reviewer said, "The mediocre writing is entirely forgivable simply because the books not about that." That's pretty much how i felt about it.

I did, however, have a hard time really liking the character Katniss. She is cold, manipulative and indecisive. But i also have a hard time completely hating her. Did anyone else find it hard to like Katniss?

Anyway, really not sure i want to watch the movie.

I thought Katniss was more likeable in the movie, maybe because watching it makes you realize how young she is and is thus more forgiveable. But I had a super hard time liking her in the third book. I actually just hated everything about the third book, for me the series ends after book 2!

How ironic. I agree that the third book was the hardest to read. It seemed to progress it fits and jolts. At the same time, the ending really did tie it together for me. It's not a happy book at all. The post-modern thought that underlies the thinking is quite depressing. However, it is exactly where so many in society are at today. Thus, the book resonates.

The people in this book are deeply wounded, systemically traumatized, and they have little hope. There is nothing of spirit in the story. Thus, ironically, it is an anti-gospel...and a great testimony as to why we need gospel.

I had a hard time with the writing at first, but eventually I realized that it was a necessity. Even an omniscient narrator couldn't give us the insights into Kat's head that we needed. Yet, if Kat narrated it in a past tense form,, as is typical and comfortable, it would imply that she made it out alive, won, etc. The play-by-play style of narration is deliberate and essential to drawing the reader into the story.