Smoking in the car with kids

SisterBear

Today, taking the kids to school, I ended up at a traffic light next to a minivan. Inside I could see three children, all under the age of 6. What bothered me is that this person was SMOKING with kids in the car. Sure, he had the window cracked but it was clear that a non-trivial amount of smoke was remaining in the car. I wanted to roll down my window and scream but I restrained myself. Can you believe this? Are their any laws against things like this? If not, there should be.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I lived in a school district that was full of people who were obsessed with what the guy next to them at the light was doing to the point they held onto it and even wrote about it on some website I'd take up smoking too! Probibly something stronger than just a tobaco cigerette too! By being THAT focused on that guy smoking you reduced your focus on the road ahead and there by created a dangerous situation for your own passengers, and other motor vehicles around you. Remove the beam from thine own eye first friend. :)

Wisc, despite your sarcasm, I think you misunderstand me. We were stopped at the light (no safety issue here) and I just happened to look over. I wouldn't have thought anything of it but I saw he smoke in the cabin and the kids in the back seat and it bothered me.

A lot of states ban cell phone usage in the car, why not ban smoking too? At least smoking with minors in the car. There have been many accidents as a result of a stray cigarette ember or not paying attention b/c they were smoking/trying to light up.

I don't think people realise how awful passive smoking is. In the UK if you use your car for business purposes or even transport a work colleague I believe you are not suppose to smoke in it by law, but I don't know if that still applies with your own children. If some of them were someboy else's children it would probably be valid.

You know, God didn't even ban smoking with a law or a commandment. He simply gave a word of wisdom...a strong divine suggestion on what is best for us. Smokers know its bad for them. They're aware of all the science. They are simply using their agency and it is not for us judge. As far as their kids second hand smoking... that falls in line with how they chose to raise their kids. There are some who think Mormonism is more dangerous than smoking. Would you like them to try to enact law to regulate when and where you may be Mormon?

Wisc, despite your sarcasm, I think you misunderstand me. We were stopped at the light (no safety issue here) and I just happened to look over. I wouldn't have thought anything of it but I saw he smoke in the cabin and the kids in the back seat and it bothered me.

A lot of states ban cell phone usage in the car, why not ban smoking too? At least smoking with minors in the car. There have been many accidents as a result of a stray cigarette ember or not paying attention b/c they were smoking/trying to light up.

Trains, planes, and auto... was a movie.:)

iirc A few states have or tried to pass it (LA and CA).

I would like to see your source for cigarette induced car crashes? i can tell it's much more distracting (for the 3 sec. it takes) to look for the right preset button on the radio then to light a smoke while looking ahead at the road.

More kids will die from from bad eating an exercise habits

An estimated 300,000 deaths per year may be attributable to obesity.

then second hand smoke

Secondhand smoke causes approximately 3,400 deaths from lung cancer and 22,700 to 69,600 deaths from heart disease each year.

If we really want to protect the kids we will outlaw parents feeding their kids fast food. Make exercise mandatory, ban ronald mcdonald etc. etc.

The point is, however, smoking is a health issue and does kill.

I used to smoke a lot. When I lived by myself, I used to smoke inside my house with my dog and I never thought much of it. Of course, I realise the consequences to that now and would never smoke around other people or pets because of the damage it causes from a health standpoint. It's funny how I'm offended by smokers now, especially those that will light up around others, without any regard to how inconsiderate and unhealthy it is.

In the US, there is a legally mandated freedom of religion. In other countries, they outlaw certain religions. I would not want the government to tell me when, where, if, etc. I can be Morman. I believe in freedom of religion.

My problem isn't with the smoking (heck, I used to be a smoker), it is the fact that he was doing it in the car with the kids and exposing them to second hand smoke which has been proven to be dangerous. US laws that appear to restrict liberty are created with the underlying intent/excuse of protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens. In this case, the children cannot protect themselves so I think it is appropriate for the government to step in and offer protection. A lot of cities have outlawed smoking in restaurants and this would be in the same vein, but also focused on protecting those who can't protect themselves.

US laws that appear to restrict liberty are created with the underlying intent/excuse of protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens. In this case, the children cannot protect themselves so I think it is appropriate for the government to step in and offer protection. A lot of cities have outlawed smoking in restaurants and this would be in the same vein, but also focused on protecting those who can't protect themselves.

Look up how many children die in car wrecks every year vs how many die from second hand smoke. By your logic we need the Government to step in and remove the children from the mini van all together. After all the kid didnt have a choice but to get in the car since mommy and daddy told them to.

In the US, there is a legally mandated freedom of religion. In other countries, they outlaw certain religions. I would not want the government to tell me when, where, if, etc. I can be Morman. I believe in freedom of religion.

My problem isn't with the smoking (heck, I used to be a smoker), it is the fact that he was doing it in the car with the kids and exposing them to second hand smoke which has been proven to be dangerous. US laws that appear to restrict liberty are created with the underlying intent/excuse of protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens. In this case, the children cannot protect themselves so I think it is appropriate for the government to step in and offer protection. A lot of cities have outlawed smoking in restaurants and this would be in the same vein, but also focused on protecting those who can't protect themselves.

Look up how many children die in car wrecks every year vs how many die from second hand smoke. By your logic we need the Government to step in and remove the children from the mini van all together. After all the kid didnt have a choice but to get in the car since mommy and daddy told them to.

In addition to what Wisc has stated, if we are able to say that smoking with children in the car is so dangerous for the kids that we can outlaw it, then it's a very easy step to saying that smoking with kids at home is too dangerous for the kids, so we ban smoking in the home. That's just way too far. I've said it with regard to many things...if you want to stop smoking around children, you have to get smokers to quit.

Government intervention into personal habits is actually a very radical left-wing idea. I think it extends beyond any form of communism we've ever discussed on this board. Cracks me up to hear these kinds of ideas from typically conservative folk.

Wikipedia says this for some Canadian provinces:

• Nova Scotia: …On 1 April 2008, smoking in a car with passengers under 19 inside became illegal.[17]
  • New Brunswick …Since 1 January 2010 the ban was expanded to include vehicles with children under 16 present.
  • Ontario….Since January 21, 2009, smoking is banned in all vehicles if anyone under the age of 16 is present.
List of smoking bans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

If someone wants to kill themselves slowly with smoking or quickly by some other method, I think they should be allowed to do so. If that smoke gets anywhere near me or anyone else who doesn't want it near them, and especially near a KID, then we have a HUGE problem.

I think we will see within the next 20 years or so laws making it a type of child abuse if an adult smokes around their kids, with the govt. taking their kids away if they get caught smoking near them.

The old saying "Your right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose" applies here.

Edited by WindRiver

If someone wants to kill themselves slowly with smoking or quickly by some other method, I think they should be allowed to do so. If that smoke gets anywhere near me or anyone else who doesn't want it near them, and especially near a KID, then we have a HUGE problem.

I think we will see within the next 20 years or so laws making it a type of child abuse if an adult smokes around their kids, with the govt. taking their kids away if they get caught smoking near them.

The old saying "Your right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose" applies here.

Again, as was pointed out before, more children die in vehicular accidents each year than die from the effects of second hand smoke. So if we can ban smoking around children because it constitutes child abuse, doesn't that mean that driving with children in the car is a greater abuse?

The only reason a lot of people can muster support for this idea is because they themselves aren't smokers. In other words, let the government step in, just as long as they aren't stepping into my life! Yet another example of popular hypocrisy.

In addition to what Wisc has stated, if we are able to say that smoking with children in the car is so dangerous for the kids that we can outlaw it, then it's a very easy step to saying that smoking with kids at home is too dangerous for the kids, so we ban smoking in the home.

I was gonna make a similar comment. Also of note, kids spend a lot more time in the home than in the family car, so the justification based on health risk would be even stronger.

I'm with Hordak, if that's the case then feeding an obese kid (heck any kid) nutritionally unsound food choices (consistently) would be as well.

Edited by Dravin

I was gonna make a similar comment. Also of note, kids spend a lot more time in the home than in the family car, so the justification based on health risk would be even stronger.

I'm with Hordak, if that's the case then feeding an obese kid (heck any kid) nutritionally unsound food choices (consistently) would be as well.

And now we'll need to have a government commission decide what constitutes "consistently." And then after that, we'll have to install monitoring devices to keep tabs on what parents are feeding their kids so that they aren't abusing them.