Calling all you uber dorks (you know who you are)

funkenheimer

I am looking for a trading card game to play with my daughters (ages 9 and 11). I am not interested in Pokeman. I am looking for a game we can have fun playing, as well as collecting cards. I have played Magic: The Gathering in the past and am considering that one. I am also considering World of Warcraft TCG as I have been an avid WoW player in the past (and maybe again in the future).

Any suggestions you could provide would be great. If you hate these types of games for whatever reason, I respect your opinion but there is really no need to post it here. Thanks.

I think there are D&D cards games out there. Warhammer as well. Right now my 11 and 10 yr old nephews are fanatical about Yu-gi-oh. Last year it was Bakugan. I like Yu-gi-oh because they have very strong cards that have female characters although I've noticed them getting away from that lately :( Have you seen the Bella Sara cards? I don't know if you can play them but they look pretty girly lol.

My daughter has her own Yu-gi-oh deck, and she's pretty strategic. She's at that stage where she doesn't know if she should actively try to beat boys or let them win, but I bet your daughters won't have that problem with you!

Guest xforeverxmetalx

There are Harry Potter trading cards... I know because I used to have some. It's enjoyable when you have someone to play with.

Nerd:

Nerd is a term, often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who avidly pursues intellectual activities, technical or scientific endeavours, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are unusual for one's age, rather than engaging in more social or conventional activities. The nerd may be awkward, shy and unattractive. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.

Geek:

The word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc."

Dork:

Pejorative slang for a quirky, silly and/or stupid, socially inept person, or one who is out of touch with contemporary trends. Often confused with nerd and geek, but does not imply the same level of intelligence.

All quotes from the Almighty Wiki.

All quotes from the Almighty Wiki.

And since anyone can go in and make changes to the "Almighty Wiki" you know the information is accurate.

Seriously though, does it really matter?

As for the suggestions for a trading card game I do appreciate the input. If anyone else has anything more to suggest, please post. Thanks

I was going to say, "dorks", didn't sound right when I read the thread title either. That's not an attack. Just mentioning that the phrase you chose usually doesn't use "dorks" but "geeks", that's all. No big deal.

Only familiar with Pokemon and Magic. I opened another tab to search online to see what other card playing games are out there for kids. Thought it'd be pretty easy to pull-up but most of them refer to Pokemon and Magic.

I am looking for a trading card game to play with my daughters (ages 9 and 11). I am not interested in Pokeman. I am looking for a game we can have fun playing, as well as collecting cards. I have played Magic: The Gathering in the past and am considering that one. I am also considering World of Warcraft TCG as I have been an avid WoW player in the past (and maybe again in the future).

Any suggestions you could provide would be great. If you hate these types of games for whatever reason, I respect your opinion but there is really no need to post it here. Thanks.

I would suggest getting a 52 face card set (ie what's used for poker + 2 jokers). There are an incredible amount of different games you can play with those.

While I do like MTG, htere's been so much unbalancing and rule changing in it I don't care for it as much anymore; those who have $$$ and invest serious effort into the game will have uber cards that wipe the field rather easily... some people at wizards of the coast need to get some atomic wedgies.

Uno is a great card game, so is Phase 10, skip bo, rook, and go fish.

theres a pirates card game that is real fun (can't remember the title tho) where you try to capture other players frigate ships with pirate ships, but have to watch out for the captains.

MTG is probably one of the better trading card games out there, and the artwork is very good... however be cautious there are the occasional picture that do push it a bit, both in modesty or gruesomeness.

I havent tried the WoW one as i have a subscrition to the service and don't want to put more money into it.

There's a battle tech one I want to try, but haven't been able to yet.

There's also a samurai one (seven seals or something like that) that looks good, but i haven't tried yet.

I believe both the Star trek and starwars franchises have their trading card games as well.

I love MTG, and I play it with some guys from my Elder's Quorum about once a month. I play Yu-Gi-Oh with my sons. I don't know many girls that are into either game.

I've been working on a CCG/TCG based on the scriptures. It's a very time consuming process, but here are some web addresses you can check out: Login | Facebook and LDS Mormon Scripture-based collectible card game (CCG)

I enjoyed Munchkin the few times I played it with friends at college. Very enjoyable silly, D&D type card game.

My father and brothers are obsessively into Yu-Gi-Oh, and I play it with them on occassion. I used to have my own deck, but lost interest, so now I just use one of their decks on the rare occassion I decide to duel one of them.

I also very much enjoyed a game called Legend of the Five Rings. It is another card game that is SLIGHTLY - I heavily stress the slightly- like MTG. It takes some time to learn how to play it, as it is rather complicated, but it is very fun once you get the hang of it. There are several different types of decks you can build, so there's plenty of variety. You can get three very different starter decks (one for each of you- yourself and your two daughters) and not even worry about getting booster packs unless you start getting board with your cards or start finding the arrangements too predictable.

There is also a card game called Ninja Burger, but I didn't play it enough to really give you a good judgement/opinion on it.

And I've played some others I can't remember the names of...

If you're interested in more than just card games and want to try and do some D&D style stuff with them, a couple good things to check out would be Asylum and Ironclaw.