Del Parson's Painting of Christ question

Hi - I am an LDS student taking a paper on spirituality in the media. I am interested in stories of how Del Parsosn's painting of Christ in his red robe touches the lives of members of our faith. For me, it is the image which I have grown up to love the most - to look at that painting invokes feelings similar to those I feel when i see a photo of a beloved family member. It stirs my heart and increases my testimony of Christ.

My question to you all is - do you have this picture in your home? And what is its meaning/significance/value/power for you?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very close to the Master. The exact one however, is the statue commissioned by President Gordon B. Hinckley. See link: Hemidakota’s Gallery » LDS Mormon Network I have this not only in our home but on the waal in my office. Reminds me of the Master on a daily basis. Also, I have next to His image is the portrait of Joseph Smith.

The president made it a point to correct the artist with the build and look of this statue.

It has increased my faith that if you take a dark skinned Semitic Jew and dress him up to look like a long haired happy Jeff Daniels, you can sell more pictures.

Christ's Love | Painting by Del Parson

Snow, you are so blunt sometimes. .... it did remind me though of how I have always thought it more likely that Jesus was not outwardly physically attractive or charismatic in a physical way. Spiritually, and those that are in tune to the spirit may be attracted to him, but I would imagine that his physical appearance was not the reason for people wanting to listen to him. That is not to say though that his resurrected image is not attractive.

In fact, I thought there was a hymn somewhere that I haven't been able to find that had the words of something to the effect of "no trait men would desire" or something like that. Wish I could find that.

On the other hand, I imagine Lucifer as being visually attractive (even though that is not possible as he has no physical properties).

Del Parson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure you are aware of the urban legend portion in the above link.

My question to you all is - do you have this picture in your home? And what is its meaning/significance/value/power for you?

You can find the picture in a few books in my home but it is not framed or hung on a wall.

I do like it though. When I was like 14 years old my mother gave me the book Man of Steel and Velvet: A Guide to Masculine Development ~ Aubrey Andelin. This book had a profound effect on my life and development. In this book Mr. Andelin basically states that a real man knows when to be hard and decisive, yet when to be yielding and supportive.

This picture best displays these concepts in my mind. He looks like an approachable loving father, but in no way would I want to stand toe to toe with this man in a boxing ring.

In fact, I thought there was a hymn somewhere that I haven't been able to find that had the words of something to the effect of "no trait men would desire" or something like that. Wish I could find that.

Isaiah 53: 2-3

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

"With no apparent beauty that men should Him desire,

He was the promised Savior to purify with fire."

--Hymn #175: O God The Eternal Father

Snow, you are so blunt sometimes. .... it did remind me though of how I have always thought it more likely that Jesus was not outwardly physically attractive or charismatic in a physical way. Spiritually, and those that are in tune to the spirit may be attracted to him, but I would imagine that his physical appearance was not the reason for people wanting to listen to him. That is not to say though that his resurrected image is not attractive.

I don't know if He was physically attractive or not but the purpose of this kind of art or craft is not to depict reality but to sell a feeling. Same for some pictures of Joseph Smith.

If they could get away with depicting Jesus as Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall, they would

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff238/millergurl07/BradPitt8.jpg

Hi - I am an LDS student taking a paper on spirituality in the media. I am interested in stories of how Del Parsosn's painting of Christ in his red robe touches the lives of members of our faith. For me, it is the image which I have grown up to love the most - to look at that painting invokes feelings similar to those I feel when i see a photo of a beloved family member. It stirs my heart and increases my testimony of Christ.

Our house doesn't feel complete without one or two of Del Parson's Christ. Even my Cubicle in the studio where I work feels a little empty without the notebook size version of the picture. It kind of helps as a reminder that I'm in a covenant with Him and it does stir up a reinforcement in my conscience telling me to minimize mistakes that may offend Him and the people I mingle with.:)

I think Del Parson is probably one of my least favorite artists of LDS popularity. In fact, the painting in question is my least favorite of all. It has become so ubiquitous that it's lost its meaning to me. I see nothing special about it. It invoke no particular feeling in me, nor does it provide any room for thought or imagination, such as a scene or a particular emotion in a face might. It seems emotionless to me. I much prefer other LDS paintings.

Something about this painting that I do find slightly interesting, however, was pointed out to me many years ago. Whether intentional or read into it, it's interesting.

Take a look at the left half of the painting:

Posted Image

The coloring is darker. The lines are harder. Notice the broad, squared shoulder, the set and focused eye, the determination in the mouth. This is a just God who fights the battles of those who follow Him and keep His commandments.

Now look at the right side of the painting:

Posted Image

Note the rounded softer shoulder. Lighter colors, softer lines. There is compassion in the eye. This is a merciful Savior who loves us and who would (and did) do anything for us.

I have a hard time seeing it when it's put together, so I don't enjoy this painting in general. The two pieces are mildly interesting, but I prefer other depictions of Christ over this one.

Edited by Wingnut

Whoa, after 1500-page journal search [2008 Journal], I finally found the article. Here is my entry,

"If one could look beyond the veil to see our first parents, how would they look? Read the words of Zebedee Coltrin:

“Once after returning from a mission to Kirtland, I met Brother Joseph, who asked me if I did not wish to go with him to a conference at New Portage, Ohio. The party consisted of Presidents Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Oliver Cowdery and me. Next morning at New Portage, I noticed that Joseph seemed to have a far off look in his eyes, or was looking at a distance. Presently he stepped between Brother Cowdery and me, and taking us by the arm said, let take a walk.

We went to a place where there was some beautiful grass, and grapevines and swamp birch interlaced. President Joseph Smith then said, "Let us pray."

We all three prayed in turn-Joseph, Oliver and me. Brother Joseph then said, "Now brethren, we will see some visions." Joseph lay down on the ground on his back and stretched out his arms, and we laid on them. The heavens gradually opened, and we saw a golden throne, on a circular foundation, and on the throne sat a man and a woman, having white hair and clothed in white garments. Their heads were white as snow, and their faces shone with immortal youth. They were the two most beautiful and perfect specimens of mankind I ever saw. Joseph said, "They are our first parents, Adam and Eve."

Adam was a large broad shouldered man, and Eve, as a woman, was as large in proportion. (Hyrum L. Andrus and Helen Mae Andrus, comps., They Knew the Prophet, p. 28)"

Ref: Joseph Smith, as quoted by Zebedee Coltrin in Smith, Encyclopedia of Joseph Smith's Teachings, p.18

Modern revelation tells us much about the magnificence of Eve. In his vision of the redemption of the dead, President Joseph F. Smith saw the prophets assembled in paradise: "Among the great and mighty ones who were assembled in this vast congregation of the righteous were Father Adam, ... and our glorious Mother Eve, with many of her faithful daughters who had lived through the ages" (D&C 138:38-39). Edited by Hemidakota

A Major Heavenly Vision

On March 18, 1833, the Prophet Joseph promised the school that those among them who were pure in heart should see another vision. The record states: "I exhorted the brethren to faithfulness and diligence in keeping the commandments of God, and gave much instruction for the benefit of the Saints, with a promise that the pure in heart should see a heavenly vision; and after remaining a short time in secret prayer, the promise was verified; for many present had the eyes of their understanding opened by the Spirit of God, so as to behold many things. . . . Many of the brethren saw a heavenly vision of the Savior, and concourses of angels, and many other things, of which each one has a record of what he saw" (History of the Church, 1:334-35).

John Murdock, one of those present, wrote of the experience: "About midday the visions of my mind were opened, and the eyes of my understanding were enlightened, and I saw the form of a man, most lovely; the visage of His face was round and fair as the sun; His hair a bright silver grey, curled in most majestic form; His eyes a keen penetrating blue; and the skin of His neck a most beautiful white. He was covered from the neck to the feet with a loose garment of pure white—whiter than any garment I had ever before seen. His countenance was most penetrating, and yet most lovely. . . . The vision was closed up. But it left on my mind the impression of love, for months, that I never before felt to that degree" (Autobiographical sketch, Utah Genealogical and Historical Magazine, April 1937, p. 61).

And Zebedee Coltrin said: "I saw a personage walk through the room, from East to West, and Joseph asked if we saw him. I saw him and suppose the others did, and Joseph answered 'That is Jesus the Son of God our elder brother.' Afterward Joseph told us to resume our former positions in prayer, which we did. Another person came through. The Prophet Joseph said this was the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw him. . . . I experienced a sensation like a consuming fire of great brightness, for He was surrounded as with a flame of fire, which was so brilliant that I could not discover anything else but His person. I saw his hands, his legs, his feet, his eyes, nose, mouth, head and body in the shape and form of a perfect man. His appearance was so grand and overwhelming that it seemed I should melt down in His presence, and the sensation was so powerful that it thrilled through my whole system and I felt it in the marrow of my bones. The Prophet Joseph said: Brethren, now you are prepared to be the apostles of Jesus Christ, for you have seen both the Father and the Son, and know that they exist and that They are two separate personages" (Salt Lake School of the Prophets Minutes, October 3, 1883, pp. 58-60).

In regards to Del Parson's Savior painting, whether it is a master piece or not, I wouldn't know, from an artistic stand point. We have one in our house. I have actually seen copies of the painting in other locations, not associated with being LDS, but can't remember the place that most surprised me.

As far as the "story" in regards to the inspiration, I paraphrase:

Brother Parson's had the new painting on display at a fireside, or other church function, when a young girl walked up to him and stated, "That is the man who came to me the night my mom and dad were killed in the car wreck..."

At that moment Brother Parsons knew he had an accurate rendition of the Savior.

This was around 1985/1986. At the time the picture prints were being sold with the story along with it by various LDS vendors. And like many things in church, the story was passed from person to person.

At that time while attending a "church school" in Idaho, one of my professors was listening to a couple of students relating the story to each other. With grace and dignity, he let us know he was a friend of Del Parsons, and let us know, as much as Brother Parsons wanted the story to be true, it wasn't accurate.

Brother Parson's had the new painting on display at a fireside, or other church function, when a young girl walked up to him and stated, "That is the man who came to me the night my mom and dad were killed in the car wreck..."

I smell a rat.

In regards to Del Parson's Savior painting, whether it is a master piece or not, I wouldn't know, from an artistic stand point.

Masterpiece? Yeah - in the same way that Thomas Kinkade paints masterpieces.

...in as much as Jesus was a surfer from Santa Barbara California.

I too have a similar story. After my house burned down, and my grandmother died of malaria and a gang of criminals stole my cat, I was so depressed that I couldn't work and lost my job. With no dental benefits my teeth began to rot from all the sickly syrupy faith promoting stories I had swallowed. One night, in the gallows of my despair, a man who looked exactly like the surfer from Santa Barbara snuck into my house at night and fixed my teeth while I slept.

Hallelujah!

Edited by Snow

In regards to Del Parson's Savior painting, whether it is a master piece or not, I wouldn't know, from an artistic stand point. We have one in our house. I have actually seen copies of the painting in other locations, not associated with being LDS, but can't remember the place that most surprised me.

This was around 1985/1986. At the time the picture prints were being sold with the story along with it by various LDS vendors. And like many things in church, the story was passed from person to person.

At that time while attending a "church school" in Idaho, one of my professors was listening to a couple of students relating the story to each other. With grace and dignity, he let us know he was a friend of Del Parsons, and let us know, as much as Brother Parsons wanted the story to be true, it wasn't accurate.

Close resemblance but nevertheless, take a closer look at the last commissioned statue by the late President Gordon B. Hinckley and compare. Small variation it is, Glen should be commended.