Does Eating Brown Rice Lower Diabetes Risk?

Hemidakota

I guess I need to switch from white to brown rice now after reading this report.

EXCERPT: Researchers drew on data from over 200,000 subjects and found that those who ate five or more servings of white rice a week had a 17 percent increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared with those who rarely ate white rice.

What's more, they found that those who ate brown rice regularly were overall less likely to develop diabetes.

ARTICLE LINK: Brown Rice Cuts Diabetes Risk, Study Finds - ABC News

The one thing to think about with brown rice if you don't eat it quickly enough, it can go rancid much quicker than white rice.

True it's like whole wheat flour in that respect, it's touchier about how it's stored (due to the fat). A good place is the freezer, which is useful for normal cooking amounts but not so much for food storage.

Edited by Dravin

• 2 weeks later...

Brown rice eaters are a self-select group of people. Like granola munchers, they probably maintain a healthier weight and deliberately eat less refined sugar. So a finding of less diabetes makes sense, but does it really have anything to do with letting the covering remain on the rice or is it from the other known factors that have been reduced?

• 1 month later...

According to "Sugar Busters!" and other low glycemiiic approaches, brown rice is much healthier because it causes a much lower insulin reaction when consumed. The same argument can be made for sourdough and rye breads over white bread and most "whole grain" breads. Sourdough has a chemical that forms when eaten (Men's Health last year) that suppresses insulin reaction (thus being lower glycemic), and rye bread is also very low (for a bread product) on the glycemic index.

Now if I could just find that box of Twinkies...:rolleyes:

According to "Sugar Busters!" and other low glycemiiic approaches, brown rice is much healthier because it causes a much lower insulin reaction when consumed. The same argument can be made for sourdough and rye breads over white bread and most "whole grain" breads. Sourdough has a chemical that forms when eaten (Men's Health last year) that suppresses insulin reaction (thus being lower glycemic), and rye bread is also very low (for a bread product) on the glycemic index.

Now if I could just find that box of Twinkies...:rolleyes:

Do we want our glycemic lower? Forgive my ignorance. I know white rice and white breads don't make you feel as full and they don't have as many nutrients, either.

The Glycemic Index

Try the above link, it wwould explain it better than I can. But, in short the glycemic index is based on white sugar which has a rating of 100. Then the "ladder" descends from there. White rice has an index of about 75, basmati rice is at 60, and brown rice lower. The gycemic load of a food will determine yourblood sguar and eventually insulin level.

Some people believe that the glycemic load to a food, or where it ranks on the index is more important than the amount of "total" carbs that might abound in it. So one person might not eat apricots because they have "carbs", but on the glycemic index an apricot sits at about 30, which is quite low.

• 1 year later...

Yes, It's true that by eating brown rice decreases diabetes risk. People at risk of diabetes should pay attention to carbohydrates in their diet and replace refined carbohydrates with whole grains. Brown rice eaters are at lower risk for Type 2 diabetes. In addition to having a lower glycemic index than white rice, brown rice also contains important nutrients like magnesium that are stripped during the refining process, it also contains much more fiber.

Edited by veronicaZora

• 2 months later...

I have to back what has been said concerning glycemic index. Simply put: the lower a food is in glycemic index (GI) the less stress it will put on insulin producing organs, (pancreas, etc.). This is because low GI foods cause the release of insulin much more slowly and steadily than high GI foods. Insulin imbalance, primarily because of insulin spikes from high GI foods, is a leading cause of adult onset diabetes.

I would recommend complex carbs (generally low GI) like brown rice, whole wheat, most veggies, etc. Earlier in the day, balanced with protein and proper levels of polyunsaturated fat for optimal diets. Obvious the topic of diet much like politics: Everyone thinks they know the answer and they will never change.

the best time to intake high GI foods (rarely) would be after a good workout, or to complement other food intake ie grape juice with dinner.

As a Filipino who comes from an entire country of white-rice-for-every-meal-eating people I find this funny.

White rice over brown rice will not lower your risk of diabetes if you're still eating Fruit Loops every morning.

The problem with studies like these is that people tend to take the study and apply it singly and think they're "healthier". No. Food and nutrition is to be taken holistically. Take your entire food intake and analyze your diabetes risk according to THAT. Because, what's brown rice gonna do when talking about a diet consisting of commercially packaged foods and high sugar items like soda or commercial boxed fruit juices, sugared cereal, artificially flavored pancake syrup, ice cream and donuts? It is not going to lower your diabetes risk, guaranteed.

Hello, Anatess;

You bring up a great point! Yes, it is necessary to eat whole grains (including; but, not limited to, brown rice) throughout the day.

Processed foods are a health nightmare, not only for diabetes (which I have); but, for high blood pressure, cholesterol and, I'm certain, heart disease.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, white rice, like white bread, is a relatively new invention of the 20th century, even in Asian countries.....

Sadly, the lack of brown rice has contributed to higher cancer rates in countries that eat rice as a staple. In fact, I believe they have started selling products that compensate for the loss of fiber in brown rice.

Regardless, you are totally correct. A diet of whole grains (whole wheat, oats, corn and brown rice), fruit and vegetable with meat sparingly throughout the day is the way to go for optimum health.

Frankly, I myself, am leaning towards "vegetarianism." I am not preaching this as LDS doctrine, just what works for me.

Dove

Hello, Anatess;

Correct me if I'm wrong but, white rice, like white bread, is a relatively new invention of the 20th century, even in Asian countries.....

Not 20th century - 19th century. It was "posh" to eat white instead of brown rice back in the colonial days. White rice was something the Spanish and Spanish/Filipino elites ate as it was more expensive to buy.

That's how they found out white rice lacked Thiamine - the nutrient needed to prevent beriberi. The elites started getting beriberi but the "poor folks" never did.

Sadly, the lack of brown rice has contributed to higher cancer rates in countries that eat rice as a staple. In fact, I believe they have started selling products that compensate for the loss of fiber in brown rice.

Dove

This is not true. We've been eating white rice for 200 years. Increased cancer incidences in the Philippines is a recent phenomena.

The higher cancer rates in Asian countries is tentatively attributed to the introduction of preservatives in food. The Philippines predominantly ate food from the wet market (supplied by local farmers) or straight from their own backyards. McDonald's was not dinner - it was an expensive snack. In the last 30 years, western lifestyle has gained a foothold in the country so that big fast food chains are now common. There's even a Subway in my hometown now. With fast food came convenient pre-packaged meals. And with these grocery store meals come an increased risk of cancer, diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity, among other things.

Frankly, I myself, am leaning towards "vegetarianism." I am not preaching this as LDS doctrine, just what works for me.

Vegetarianism is good, but if you're trying to get away from preservatives and such may not be your answer. Organic and local farmed veggies, sure.

My father's family got badly hit by cancer - 4 of my aunts and uncles, including my dad have cancer.

I am going back to my roots in the way I eat. Paleolithic type stuff. Eat from the tree, eat beef that eat grass... not these modern beef that eat corn which is unhealthy for cows so they have to be injected with antibiotics so they don't die off... We're starting to grow our own veggies using hydroponics so we can fit what we want to plant in our little postage-stamp-size backyard. We even have lettuce growing in a closet. Cool stuff. We eat lettuce leaves right off the plant. It tastes quite different than the packaged stuff in the grocery store. You might want to try it. It's super easy... and I don't even have a green thumb. I kill half the lettuce I plant. Hah.

Edited by anatess

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Luciano
Hidden

Brown rice eaters are a self-select group of people. Like granola munchers, they probably maintain a healthier weight and deliberately eat less refined sugar. So a find less diabetes makes sense, but does it really have anything to do with let the covering remain on the rice or is it from the other known factors that have been reduced

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Omarion
Hidden

They probably maintain a healthier weight and deliberately eat less refined sugar. So a finding of less diabetes makes sense, but does it really have anything to do with letting the covering remain on the rice or is it from the other known factors that have been reduced?