Aspiring to Callings

Moksha

For some, they know that if they live worthily (as justaname suggested) that they will be called to certain leadership positions within the Church because their patriarchal blessing says so (MoE is the third person I've heard of who has such a promise in his patriarchal blessing).

It can also mean when we return home in forefilling that PB: "..you will sit among the brethren of the church."

Here is one from President David O. McKay:

In 1885, David O. became known as "the bishop's oldest son" when his father was made bishop of their Huntsville Ward. That same year, David O. was ordained a deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood. He helped his quorum with many projects like cleaning the chapel for church meetings and chopping wood for the widows in their ward.

When he was fourteen, David O. received his patriarchal blessing from John Smith, patriarch to the Church. The blessing contained important clues to the young man's future life. Among other things, the patriarch said:

Thou art in thy youth and need instruction, therefore I say unto thee, be taught of thy parents the way of life and salvation, that at an early day you may be prepared for a responsible position. The Lord has a work for thee to do, in which thou shalt see much of the world, assist in gathering scattered Israel and also labor in the ministry. It shall be thy lot to sit in council with thy brethren and preside among the people and exhort the Saints to faithfulness.

When the blessing was finished, the kindly patriarch put his hands on David O.'s already muscular shoulders and said, "My boy, you have something to do besides playing marbles." At first, David O. didn't understand what the patriarch meant by that comment. David O. went into the kitchen where his mother was preparing dinner and said, "If he thinks I'm going to stop playing marbles, he is mistaken!" But his wise mother explained that what he meant was that the things David O. was interested in now—like marbles and other boyhood games—would someday be put aside as he grew to manhood and became involved in much more important tasks. (Lord Needed a Prophetby Susan Arrington Madsen P.142-143))

Or one of our local youth when receiving a blessing stated: "...the House of Israel will bow down at your feet." Is he worthy for this?

Edited by Hemidakota

Are people fibbing to themselves and others when they say they don't aspire to prestigious positions, because they have been taught that such aspirations are wrong?

Isn't saying don't aspire to such positions analogous to telling a teenager not to think about sex?

Are people fibbing to themselves and others when they say they don't aspire to prestigious positions, because they have been taught that such aspirations are wrong?

Isn't saying don't aspire to such positions analogous to telling a teenager not to think about sex?

What the crap? "Prestigious?" Why would most people want a prestigious calling? A lot of people turn them down. My husband used to be on the ward council and was surprised by the number of callings that people turn down all the time because they are too busy.

My experience is that most people who aspire to church leadership positions don't fully understand the responsibilities that come along with it. They generally want the title without the work that goes into being an effective leader. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with preparing yourself to be the best church leader you can be. I think the Lord would be extremely happy if the membership were all preparing themselves to serve Him in whatever capacity needed, including Prophet, Seer, and Revelator of His Church.

What the crap? "Prestigious?" Why would most people want a prestigious calling? A lot of people turn them down. My husband used to be on the ward council and was surprised by the number of callings that people turn down all the time because they are too busy.

Exactly...when I was finally release from my calling, I return back to my home ward for health reasons. It was no sooner than a month lafter I return, when one of the councilors approach me and ask if I am ready for a calling. I told him no. :D

My experience is that most people who aspire to church leadership positions don't fully understand the responsibilities that come along with it. They generally want the title without the work that goes into being an effective leader. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with preparing yourself to be the best church leader you can be. I think the Lord would be extremely happy if the membership were all preparing themselves to serve Him in whatever capacity needed, including Prophet, Seer, and Revelator of His Church.

Exactly...we need to read the story about the "worn out shoes" by President Kimball.

What exactly is a prestigious calling?

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with preparing yourself to be the best church leader you can be.

When people tell me this I always say, what about preparing to be the best human being you can be, the best mother, the best wife, the best husband, the best father....For me, if we are really focus on these things, then it doesn't really matter what church callings we may or not may have.

What exactly is a prestigious calling?

I do not agree with the definition, however I think (as discussed) in this thread, are those callings of leadership such as Bishop, Stake President, etc.

Notice that no one ever mentions nursery teacher as a "prestigious" calling hence I think in a lot of cases, people just like the title and the status that it SEEMS to come with it.

I believe we should be aware of pride that comes in many forms and many times without realizing it.

I agree with you Suzie but since this was about callings, JD was just responding to the topic. But I think you are right in that if we try to be the best we can in all the others, being the best or doing the best we can in our callings just falls into place.

When people tell me this I always say, what about preparing to be the best human being you can be, the best mother, the best wife, the best husband, the best father....For me, if we are really focus on these things, then it doesn't really matter what church callings we may or not may have.

Why does it have to be either/or? Why can't you prepare to be the best human, parent, husband, or church leader you can be all at the same time? Are these somehow exclusive roles that can't cross over to other things? Are there things about being a great father or husband that will somehow make you a bad church leader?

I do not agree with the definition, however I think (as discussed) in this thread, are those callings of leadership such as Bishop, Stake President, etc.

Notice that no one ever mentions nursery teacher as a "prestigious" calling hence I think in a lot of cases, people just like the title and the status that it SEEMS to come with it.

I believe we should be aware of pride that comes in many forms and many times without realizing it.

I guess I just never thought of them as prestigious. Just another calling in the organization that had to be filled. Sure not very prestigous to have to spend hours away from your family and have the constant worry and stress of stewardship that goes with that calling.

I knew that's what was meant..I just wanted wanted to see why Moksha would consider them to be prestigious since he posted it.

I guess I just never thought of them as prestigious. Just another calling in the organization that had to be filled. Sure not very prestigous to have to spend hours away from your family and have the constant worry and stress of stewardship that goes with that calling.

I knew that's what was meant..I just wanted wanted to see why Moksha would consider them to be prestigious since he posted it.

Yes, exactly. Some of those callings are very challenging.

Moksha is a "he"? All this time I thought he was a "she" (before he kills me, he did not say anything that made him sound like a woman eh :lol: )

I agree that it is all in the attitude and reasoning behind it.

When my mom was growing up, there was a woman in her ward who wanted to be the R.S. president. It wasn't out of a desire to serve her Sisters and the ward. She saw this as a position of power. She thought that she could organize things better, set up committees better, instruct people better than anyone else. She had some idea that this would give her great social status--that people would look up to her and admire what she was doing.

Everytime the calling was up to be filled, she literally started campaigning. She would go around and ask all the Sisters if they would put in a good word with the Bishop for her. Of course, she was never called. Her heart was not in the right place. She reacted by becoming bitter and angry. She was resentful toward all the bishops that wouldn't call her to be R.S. president. They were being spiteful or ignorant.

So, I ask you: Was her aspiration a good one? Was her attitude one that the Lord would entrust His children to?

I think this is what people mean when they say we shouldn't aspire to those callings.

Why does it have to be either/or? Why can't you prepare to be the best human, parent, husband, or church leader you can be all at the same time? Are these somehow exclusive roles that can't cross over to other things? Are there things about being a great father or husband that will somehow make you a bad church leader?

No, it does not have to be either. Personally I like to hear more about preparing for the things I mentioned, just my personal preference for the things I believe are treasures.

One of my sons, many years ago after hearing a talk in sacrament that told of a story of a young man "who did great and became a Bishop" said to me: "Mommy, I want to be a Bishop when I grow up!" I asked why? And he said "So I can carry a suitcase, talk in sacrament and everybody calls me Bishop and know who I am like Bishop X".

I did (like in my reply) said to him "Son, what about being an amazing father and husband?" to which he replied "Yeah, THAT too".

That's what I am talking about.

Now Suzie, you've spoken your mind before...why stop now? :)

I heard penguins are sensitive creatures maybe this penguin is not? Maybe he has double insulation than most penguins have? Is he an emperor or a fairy penguin?

See? Many things to be considered. Suzie may be opinionated but not kamikaze. :D

Suzie, definitely an Emperor Penguin, yet I would not be opposed to one of those colorful little tufts on top. Not more than one mind you, since it could be viewed similar to multiple earrings. :)

As far as what prestigious means, that would be one of those things ,which would depend on what the person perceives as a greener pasture on the other side of the fence. I know my definition of a desirable calling would vary from one who is a young go-getter or whose family is a veritable who's who of religious leaders. Whatever individual notions one brings to the table would influence what is prestigious for that person. I would not view being a Nursery Teacher or Elders Quorum President as being prestigious because of having to herd kids or young Elders. Someone like that guy from the movie RM might view being an Elders Quorum President as a source of self identity.

No, it does not have to be either. Personally I like to hear more about preparing for the things I mentioned, just my personal preference for the things I believe are treasures.

One of my sons, many years ago after hearing a talk in sacrament that told of a story of a young man "who did great and became a Bishop" said to me: "Mommy, I want to be a Bishop when I grow up!" I asked why? And he said "So I can carry a suitcase, talk in sacrament and everybody calls me Bishop and know who I am like Bishop X".

I did (like in my reply) said to him "Son, what about being an amazing father and husband?" to which he replied "Yeah, THAT too".

That's what I am talking about.

It's interesting that you say things like this. In the wards I've attended, we've focused so much on preparing to be great mothers, fathers, and home teachers that there has been no focus on being effective leaders.

I do think there needs to be focus on both, if for no other reason than leading a family unit of 4 - 6 closely related people requires a very different style, approach, and skill set than presiding over a relief society of 80 women, or a quorum of 60 men, or a ward of 300 people. I'd be amazed if you're observing the Church teaching general leadership more often than family leadership. My observation is that the trend is going the other way.