Between Control-C and Control-V

Moksha

Hidden

I assume you're talking about when people cut and paste sections of articles into their posts? I usually don't have a problem with it unless the post has a lot SO MUCH access information besides the point the poster was trying to make, that you have to sift through it to come to a consensus about what they were trying to show you. I don't see why then the poster couldn't cut down the length of the article or pull out a few phrases for examples instead of being lazy and posting almost the entire article!

I generally don't care, unless the post has so much access information that it seems you're going nowhere with what the poster presented to you. In that case I just don't see why the poster couldn't cut down the length of the paste or pull out a few phrases to make their point instead of being lazy or in a time crunch and posting almost their entire example source.

If someone is providing information from a link, I prefer an excerpt from the link and the link so I can read it in full. Is that what you're asking Moksha?

M.

Indeed, then there is the whole fair use issue. Copying and pasting an entire article is not fair use. Can you give us some more context Moksha?

, I prefer an excerpt from the link and the link so I can read it in full. Is that what you're asking Moksha?

M.

Can you give us some more context Moksha?

Maureen and Dravin, I wanted opinions with everyone exercising their free agency as to meaning and context. I have to be decisive in other areas of my life as need arises, but I need a rests from that too.

If direction is called for, then go with being creative. :)

Fine I disapprove of copying and pasting entire currently copyrighted books as a means of slowly paying off the hitman you hired to off your next door neighbors sister's husband's cousin's horse's vet's mother's second lover.

I'm sorry Moksha, but sometimes you have to draw a moral line in the sand.

I hate them when they are used in a regular post. I see a long copy and paste and I don't bother with the thread.

The Saint Bernard appears to originate from native dogs that have been present in the Alps for millenia. Roman armies crossed into Switzerland in the second century possibly bringing with them an infusion of Mastiff-type dogs. These dogs form the background of today's Swiss breeds, including the Saint Bernard. As with all modern Swiss breeds, (including Bernese Mountain Dogs, Great Swiss Mountain Dogs, Entlebuch Cattle Dogs, and Appenzell Cattle Dogs) these dogs were used for a variety of duties including guarding, herding, and drafting. By 1000AD, these ancestral dogs were apparently well known and referred to as "Talhund" (Valley Dog) or "Bauernhund" (Farm Dog) by this time. They came in a variety of sizes and shapes.

In 1050AD, Archdeacon Bernard de Menthon founded his famous hospice in the Saint Bernard Pass, 8000 feet above sea level, for travellers crossing the treacherous Swiss Alps. No one knows when dogs were first brought to the Hospice, since early records were destroyed by fire near the end of the 16th century. The earliest surviving written notation of the dogs is in 1707 and it implies that the dogs were well established at this point and their work was well known. The earliest paintings of the Hospice dog date back to two pictures done in 1695 by an unknown painter. These paintings depict well built shorthaired dogs with long tails and dewclaws, typey heads and nearly white: one is a mantle and the other is splash coated. From these portraits, it's clear that these dogs were already established as a breed by this time.

Independent records suggest that these dogs were initially used as watchdogs and companions for the Monks. Since the Hospice was largely isolated from the rest of the world, especially during the long winter months, a distinctive strain of dogs doubtlessly quickly developed. These dogs would have been bred to withstand the harsh winters, with a short, thick, ice-proof coat and well-padded feet for walking on the snow.

Now we know how to "slip one" past the watchful eyes of Pam. Bore her with a wall of copied text, then put it in:evilbanana:;):D

No, hordak, this is the way to slip one past pam:

Starting in 1910, the Army began acquiring Fixed-wing aircraft.[10] The United States joined World War I in 1917 on the side of Britain, France, Russia, and other allies. U.S. troops were sent to the front and were involved in the push that finally broke through the German lines. With the armistice in November 1918, the Army once again decreased its forces.

Beefche is awesome and pam has burnt edges. The U.S. joined World War II after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. On the European front, U.S. Army troops formed a significant portion of the forces that captured North Africa and Sicily. On D-Day and in the subsequent liberation of Europe and defeat of Nazi Germany, millions of U.S. Army troops played a central role. In the Pacific, Army soldiers participated alongside U.S. Marines in capturing the Pacific Islands from Japanese control. Following the Axis surrenders in May (Germany) and August (Japan) of 1945, Army troops were deployed to Japan and Germany to occupy the two defeated nations. Two years after World War II, the Army Air Forces separated from the Army to become the United States Air Force in September 1947 after decades of attempting to separate. Also, in 1948 the Army was desegregated.

However, the end of World War II set the stage for the East-West confrontation known as the Cold War. With the outbreak of the Korean War, concerns over the defense of Western Europe rose. Two corps, V and VII, were reactivated under Seventh United States Army in 1950 and American strength in Europe rose from one division to four. Hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops remained stationed in West Germany, with others in Belgium, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom, until the 1990s in anticipation of a possible Soviet attack.

My favorite example concerns the implementation of the quicksort algorithm. Robert Sedgewick, the author of Algorithms in C++, Parts 1–4: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching (Addison-Wesley, 1998), presents it as an elegant 19-line C program, yet the code I encountered in a real-world C library implementation spans more than 130 lines. The extra 111 lines are not code bloat, but the result of a carefully engineered and extremely efficient implementation. The extra lines represent the difference between theory and actual practice, and some developers encounter this difference only the first time they have to deal with a real-world system. An advantage of system code is that it is in many cases written by very brilliant people, and their clear writing style tends to compensate for some of the inherent complexity.

Over-engineered object-oriented systems code. Beefche and Hordak are so full of it. One other type of unreadable code I often encounter is over-engineered object-oriented (OO) systems. Software of this type uses deep inheritance hierarchies and multiple levels of delegation for no immediately apparent reason (other than to show off the programmer's mastery of OO concepts). When such systems lack design documentation—and, unfortunately, this is often the case—they can be more difficult to understand than any old-style spaghetti code. The reason for this is that the relationships between the code elements cannot be determined by trivially reading the code, since the code's behavior changes at runtime depending on values of each object's class. Think of it as a sequence of goto's with the target being stored in a variable.

This is the kind I would disregard.

*edit to add* Since neither Beefche nor Hordak responded, I can see it's one they would disregard as well.

Edited by pam

The most annoying posts with cut and paste are the ones where someone pastes in canned arguments, and then they don't reply to the posters, they just continue to post more canned arguments. They are annoying because it isn't a discussion with a person, but an one-sided argument with some organization with an anti-(insert whatever topic the forum is on).

Otherwise I don't mind so much, unless they are just boring. Pasting jokes is fine. But we already do that here...