Is the Elder's Quorum always Lousy?

dorave

Not really a rant thread, but looking at the humorous side of it all.

Almost nearly all Elder's Quorums I've been in are pretty slack, hometeaching is low, lessons are last minute (with the lesson book passed around each week), the lessons nearly always consists of reading long passages of the handbook or scriptures being passed around, no PPIs, maybe just the first then nothing after, 1st Sunday of the month is ALWAYS priesthood blessing of the sick roleplay, and yeah I'm sure many of you get the picture.

Not really a rant thread, but looking at the humorous side of it all.

Almost nearly all Elder's Quorums I've been in are pretty slack, hometeaching is low, lessons are last minute (with the lesson book passed around each week), the lessons nearly always consists of reading long passages of the handbook or scriptures being passed around, no PPIs, maybe just the first then nothing after, 1st Sunday of the month is ALWAYS priesthood blessing of the sick roleplay, and yeah I'm sure many of you get the picture.

Lol lessons last minute? I had one teacher once who would ask us at the beginning of church every sunday what lesson in the manual we wanted to go over during that lesson time... in other words, there was no preparation whatsoever, and usual protocols were not abided by. Surprisingly, they were some of the most interesting lessons I've ever been in.

Edited by Mahone

Lol lessons last minute? I had one teacher once who would ask us at the beginning of church every sunday what lesson in the manual we wanted to go over during that lesson time... in other words, there was no preparation whatsoever, and usual protocols were not abided by. Surprisingly, they were some of the most interesting lessons I've ever been in.

lol... when I was in YSA class, our lessons were like that and almost all them would endup being discussions on dating somehow.

Can't be any worse than testimony meeting and the "confessions" and "travel logs." Now there's a meeting that tests my faith and patience.

And the bishops patience no doubt. Most of our fast and testimony meetings are okay, but they occasionally turn into a "who has the most difficult life" contest. I know our bishop tried very hard to get people to focus on what the meeting was supposed to be about, but it's not the easiest of subjects to approach without offending some people.

I think it can be like that in any meeting, depending on how much the different people put in it. If everybody seems kinda "bla", then why not stand out and take an intrest to kind of show that you are here to get something out of it and that you're also interested in what there is being said. Maybe it will develope from that. Also, even when someone isn't giving a great lesson. Trying to see the positive in it or making some sense out of it, it could be a lesson itself. The best lessons taught is the ones inside of your own heart. And the only one that are in control of that is yourself. If that makes sense...

I think it can be like that in any meeting, depending on how much the different people put in it. If everybody seems kinda "bla", then why not stand out and take an intrest to kind of show that you are here to get something out of it and that you're also interested in what there is being said. Maybe it will develope from that. Also, even when someone isn't giving a great lesson. Trying to see the positive in it or making some sense out of it, it could be a lesson itself. The best lessons taught is the ones inside of your own heart. And the only one that are in control of that is yourself. If that makes sense...

Unfortunatly, we have no authority as normal members to just go n take over a lesson already being conducted - and it's also rude.

Unfortunatly, we have no authority as normal members to just go n take over a lesson already being conducted - and it's also rude.

Actually, you can, Engaging in good discussions is the job of the quorum members, not the instructors. The members of the quorum have to be actively engaged and begin discussion, and if need be, turn the discussion in directions which are important and interesting to them. If you sit in your meetings like a lump on a log hoping to absorb some wisdom from the instructor, then you are doing it wrong and it likely won't happen.