How do mormons feel the spirit?

One question I've had in my reading of the BOM and studies of Mormonism is how do Mormons feel the spirit?

I was raised a pentecostal christian where things like speaking in tongues, (don't really know how to describe it here) but "preacher praying over you and then the holy spirit entering you and you passing out" and manifestions of different sorts were the example that the holy spirit had entered you.

For me as a child I spoke in tongues and "felt funny" and fell over when the preacher prayed over me but I looking back I don't feel personally they were true manifestions but more the power of suggestion and doing it because my mother was doing it or the other kids could do it.

How do mornons feel the spirit and receive the gifts of the spirit? How are you personally able to feel that you've received the gifts of the spirit?

I hope this makes sense.

Wow, good question! First the Holy Spirit, or sometimes called the Holy Ghost is a bearer of truth and knowledge. God is not a God of confusion, so the Holy Ghost is meant to enlighten you, or to let you know truth. A Gift of the Spirit, or Holy Ghost is not given to you to boast about yourself. He will also not force you against your will.

We have a manual for a class that is for those who would like to investigat the church, and for new members. It is called the Gospel Principles Manual. It explains a lot of our basic doctrine. I am making a link to one of the chapters about the Holy Ghost here: LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - The Gift of the Holy Ghost

There is another chapter about different gifts (or abilities) that we can experience when we have the Holy Ghost as a companion. LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - The Gifts of the Spirit

Also look in Acts, remember the day of Pentecost when the Spirit was poured out upon the disciples? They were then able to teach the gospel to people from many different lands, those people were able to hear the gospel in their own language. Acts chapter 2. That is the gift of tongues.

The Holy Ghost can be a still, small voice, some describe it as feeling a bit warm all over, some say that they feel comforted...whatever way it manifests itself it is personal to the individual experiencing it, and always brings peace, knowledge, and comfort.

Really, its different for every person so I am not sure your question can really be answered.

Let me tell you how 2 Prophets described it: a Prophet of old (Elijah) and a modern day Prophet (Gorden B Hinckley) described it in the same words when asked as part of an interview.

1st Kings 19:11 .....And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Edited by mnn727

In chapter 32 of his book, Alma explains some of the ways in which the Spirit may work within us. He compares the word of God to a seed. If we plant and nourish it, and it is a good/true seed, then it will grow within us and we will begin to see signs/fruits.

28 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me. 29 Now behold, would not this increase your faith? I say unto you, Yea; nevertheless it hath not grown up to a perfect knowledge.

30 But behold, as the seed swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, then you must needs say that the seed is good; for behold it swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow. And now, behold, will not this strengthen your faith? Yea, it will strengthen your faith: for ye will say I know that this is a good seed; for behold it sprouteth and beginneth to grow....

34 And now, behold, is your knowledge perfect? Yea, your knowledge is perfect in that thing, and your faith is dormant; and this because you know, for ye know that the word hath swelled your souls, and ye also know that it hath sprouted up, that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened, and your mind doth begin to expand.

35 O then, is not this real? I say unto you, Yea, because it is light; and whatsoever is light, is good, because it is discernible, therefore ye must know that it is good; and now behold, after ye have tasted this light is your knowledge perfect?

36 Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither must ye lay aside your faith, for ye have only exercised your faith to plant the seed that ye might try the experiment to know if the seed was good.

37 And behold, as the tree beginneth to grow, ye will say: Let us nourish it with great care, that it may get root, that it may grow up, and bring forth fruit unto us. And now behold, if ye nourish it with much care it will get root, and grow up, and bring forth fruit.

The Spirit works in many ways within us. The key is that it must make a true change within us: giving us confidence that the word is true. It isn't a sudden event that then is gone. It doesn't require a pastor praying over us, as any of us can have a spiritual experience if we but study the word of God, pray sincerely, meditate upon the word, and seek God's inspiration.

Jesus promises in the Book of Luke that if we seek the gift of the Holy Spirit we will not get something evil. Sometimes in pentecostal churches folk are not seeking the Holy Ghost. They are seeking tongues. In reality they may be seeking approval from others, or a spiritual sign that they can wave to show that they "got it." Sometimes teens may be looking to impress each other with their spirituality. And, sometimes adults can try too hard to get the young to get the gift by mimicing it. So, sadly, some do like the OP and determine that it wasn't real...that maybe none of it was real.

Can't speak to the OP, but for me, at 13, it was real. It still is. And, like so many are fond of saying here, I'm sure there are those outside my immediate denomination who also have such experiences. Even St. Francis of Assisi is thought to have had what we now call pentecostal experiences. Some have speculated that early Mormon meetings had pentecostal aspects to them.

The key to me is that if the Spirit of God is in me and he speaks, I know his voice. Jesus is my Shepherd. I know when He calls.

I've found this question sometimes leads to a kind of "Catch 22" dialogue:

After a fireside/baptism/sacrament meeting...

Mormon: Wasn't that wonderful? Did you feel the Spirit?

Investigator: I don't know. What does the Spirit feel like?

Mormon: Oh, you'll know when you do feel it!

Later, when discussing the Book of Mormon...

Investigator: Well I've prayed about it many times...

Mormon: Then you should feel the Spirit giving you a testimony to its truth.

Investigator: I've not felt anything like that yet.

Mormon: Well....what exactly were you expecting to feel?

When the investigator doesn't reply the Mormon thinks he's scored a major point. The investigator is actually just dumbfounded at the circularity of the Mormon's thinking.

Edited by Jamie123

Actually that last one is a legitimate question if followed up on as knowing what their expectations for what the spirit feels like can help you explain what you expect them to experience either in comparison or contrast. For an extreme example if they are expecting something like the First Vision/Saul's Experience then that's a useful bit if information to know. You're right though as some sort of victory point it is useless.

As far as the first one, I think it's just because it's hard to describe the spirit in a meaningful personal manner. One can quote the fruits of the Spirit but those can be hard to explain, I mean peace is a fruit of the spirit, but describing peace in a positive manner (e. i. not the absence of conflict otherwise known as the worldly definition) quickly and concisely can be difficult and so I think people avoid doing so. Then you add into the equation how I feel the spirit isn't necessarily the same as how you feel the spirit (what if I felt love and you felt gentleness?) It is a more complex question then it first appears so I think people chicken out or feel at a lost when asked it for fear of saying the wrong thing (What if I tell them they'll feel X when what they will feel/have felt Y?).

Edited by Dravin

What you just described is what I used to think the Spirit was too, or that it was just feeling peaceful while watching the sunset, or some emotional thing....

then I experienced the Mormon version of feeling the Spirit - quite a different thing. When the Mormons say "I felt the Spirit" they are talking about something very different than what most people think of when they say "I felt the Spirit"... I guess you have to experience it to understand it :) I joined the Mormon church after feeling the Spirit there.

Are you suggesting that we feel a different Spirit? If pentecostals worship the same God, believe in the same Jesus, and sincerely seek God's direction, why would our sense of the Spirit be "something very different" from what LDS experience?

Okay...there is a sense in which I understand. When I first arrived at seminary, it was located on the 5th and 6th floors of the headquarters building of my fellowship--above the publishing house. This was the mid-90s, and most of the decor was mid-70s. Everything was kept clean, tidy, functional, but there was little that stood out asthetically. Nevertheless, I recall walking those hallways and feeling such an anointing. The placed was drenched in prayer, and dedicated to training God's choice servants. I can feel God's Spirit anywhere, but there are places that seem special. They invite God's presence, and it seems effortless to touch the heavenlies.

I've also felt the other--where I immediately would ask for God's protection and discernment. There's just a sense of spiritual oppression and darkness. God was with me, but the locale was not one that was easy for God's people to work in. May God grant us all that ability to distinguish!

Something I've always enjoyed from the King Follett sermon:

This is good doctrine. It tastes good. I can taste the principles of eternal life, and so can you. They are given to me by the revelations of Jesus Christ; and I know that when I tell you these words of eternal life as they are given to me, you taste them, and I know that you believe them. You say honey is sweet, and so do I. I can also taste the spirit of eternal life. I know that it is good; and when I tell you of these things which were given me by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, you are bound to receive them as sweet, and rejoice more and more.

It's hard to describe, and it sounds lame--but you really do know it when you feel it.

And I think that, as Mormons, we don't get some of those more visible spiritual manifestations that pentecostals lay claim to, simply because we haven't conditioned ourselves to feel the Spirit like that (and, if truth be told, have largely gotten to the point where we see such things as utterly bizarre). To some extent, God talks to us in our own language.