Historical election in Alaska.

FunkyTown

I'm hoping this doesn't break any rules, since I'm not discussing candidates but rather the results of a particular candidacy.

Is anyone else impressed that Lisa Murkowski is now only the second person in American history to have been elected via a write-in campaign?

I've read a lot of hate towards her, but I'm frankly impressed with the voters in Alaska choosing someone they weren't told was even an option. It seems the people have spoken.

A lot of people are turning this in to a 'Murkowski vs. the Tea Partiers' because the Tea Partiers refused to endorse her candidacy, which meant she wasn't on the ballot. I don't think that's a fair statement. I would say it's more political rhetoric designed to create sensationalism.

I'd just like to say that this is truly the democratic process in action and I'm impressed with the voters of Alaska choosing the candidate that they've apparently come to know and trust rather than voting along party lines. It says a lot about the character of the state. Kudos to you, Alaska. I wish everyone was as passionate as you.

I'm hoping this doesn't break any rules, since I'm not discussing candidates but rather the results of a particular candidacy.

Is anyone else impressed that Lisa Murkowski is now only the second person in American history to have been elected via a write-in campaign?

I've read a lot of hate towards her, but I'm frankly impressed with the voters in Alaska choosing someone they weren't told was even an option. It seems the people have spoken.

A lot of people are turning this in to a 'Murkowski vs. the Tea Partiers' because the Tea Partiers refused to endorse her candidacy, which meant she wasn't on the ballot. I don't think that's a fair statement. I would say it's more political rhetoric designed to create sensationalism.

I'd just like to say that this is truly the democratic process in action and I'm impressed with the voters of Alaska choosing the candidate that they've apparently come to know and trust rather than voting along party lines. It says a lot about the character of the state. Kudos to you, Alaska. I wish everyone was as passionate as you.

Unfortunately i'm not familiar with any of the actions or backgrounds of any of the alaskan candidates.... But from what I hear I second your opinion.

No but you are breaking this rule: Effective 9-24-09 political discussion has been suspended. Any threads of this nature will be closed.

:P

There's actually some rather sordid backstory here, including a last-minute elections regulation change designed to benefit Murkowski implemented by an old Murkowski family political ally.

I haven't read the Alaska Supreme Court's final decision in the case--they broke for Murkowski--but based on the linked article, the underlying circumstances look pretty fishy.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I have read that Mickey Mouse actually get the most wright in votes each year.

Thinking of changing my name:D

I wouldn't be surprised. I was working at the election as well as my mom, and both of us found write in votes for him in our areas. As well as Donald Duck, Kanye, etc...

There's actually some rather sordid backstory here, including a last-minute elections regulation change designed to benefit Murkowski implemented by an old Murkowski family political ally.

I haven't read the Alaska Supreme Court's final decision in the case--they broke for Murkowski--but based on the linked article, the underlying circumstances look pretty fishy.

and th plot thickens lol.

I thought we could talk names and such once the election was over, since they'd no longer be candidates. That's how it was two years ago. Or is it just that the site/moderators has/have decided to enforce the political discussions rule more now?

(I don't really care either way, because I don't do a whole lot of political conversation on this forum. I'm just wondering.)