Ancestor's Pioneer Diary.

Kurt

I have in my posession an ancient diary detailing one of my ancestor's trecks across the plains to Utah.

It is chalk full of amazing miracles. It even details a friend's near death experience where someone was able to catch a glimpse of Spirit Paradise (Heaven) and he goes into incredible detail about what it looks like. The person was sent back to earth because he "wasn't ready to die yet", and he was depressed to be back on Earth for a while.

I was blown away when I read the five page description of heaven. It even talks about what some of the prophets like King Solomon is working on while he's up there. Apparently all of the prophets are busily in the service of God, even after death. It was incredible!

I can transcribe some of it onto these forums and share what my great great grandfather experienced as he traveled the plains. Would y'all like me to? :D

Edited by Kurt

Do you have your families permission to share such an intimate thing as a family members journal?

:huh:... I'm not completely naive, dude. Heheh. :D

Yes infact I do, actually.

My mother passed the journal down to me as a family heirloom and I have shared excerpts of it to my ward when I have given talks in Sacrament meeting. Everyone in my family is fine with it. I plan on sharing it here if anyone would like to hear some unique and invaluable stories from a pioneer.

I have never seen a diary quite like this one. It appears Mormons of that time period actually had a curious way of saying things. My great great grandfather actually wrote in a way that reflected his accent. There was a whole entire Mormon culture back then. A truly unique treasure from the past.

So would I:

Here's a little excerpt from and about my Great Great Grandfather

In 1845, I was returning home (to Nauvoo) from a business trip. While passing through Carthage, a mob took me and put me in jail where the blood of Joseph and Hyrum Smith was to be seen, and kept me there till the Sheriff, who was my friend, an said he knew they could not hurt me by the law, but only wanted to persecute me because I was a Mormon, ‘but they may bother you so you cannot get off to the west this season.” I had sent for Edmunds, a friendly lawyer who tended to the difficulties necessary to help us get off. The sheriff went to Nauvoo and filed a bond for my release, signed as security by Charles Price. John Vanbeek came with the sheriff from Nauvoo and brought me a horse to ride home on. When we started from the jail, the jailer and Sheriff says, “Don’t you look back till you reach the timber, or they might suspicion you.” It was a task for me to keep my head straight, but I did accomplish it. Then we did not spare horse flesh much until we got home.

Priddy’s daughter Margaret Jane Hamilton reported on this event:

My father was imprisoned in Carthage jail, just after the bodies of Joseph and Hyrum were taken away, their blood was still on the floor. We were not permitted to go into the building, but Mother and I went there and talked with Father thru the iron grating over the window.

Priddy continued with his story:

“I then had to wheel and cut to the best advantage to get away from my persecutors and go across the river. I had been working with William McCleary, brother-in-law to the Prophet, making each of us a wagon to cross the plains in. Mine was only half done, but I had to drop everything to get away and give a one-horse wagon two-horse wagon that looked like failing to pieces, having no iron about it but the tire. I wedged and wet it with water, then put a light load in it. It was thought I might go twenty mi les to a blacksmith shop, supposed that twenty dollars worth would f ix it so I could get to the buffs with it, having to leave part of my family in Nauvoo with my house and lot and furniture and stock and book s, in fact, everything that I had, and never got anything for it”

So once again, Priddy Meeks uprooted his family from its home. This was one time he had done it for religious purposes. This time he was actually forced to leave his home and possessions. His family was compelled to travel in a flimsy wagon with few provisions.

I can transcribe some of it onto these forums and share what my great great grandfather experienced as he traveled the plains. Would y'all like me to? :D

If you're interested in releasing it to the world, why don't you start a blog dedicated to it?

Here's what I've been doing over the years with my dad's WWII stuff.

I love old diaries, they are great treasures. My great-great-grandfather Alexander Neibaur kept one that told of his family coming to the U.S. through the Mississippi, his life in Nauvoo, his tragic loss of children on the trek to Utah (made me cry), and his life in Utah. Epic stuff. I believe his diary is now at that pioneer museum by the capitol in SLC.

I love old diaries, they are great treasures. My great-great-grandfather Alexander Neibaur kept one that told of his family coming to the U.S. through the Mississippi, his life in Nauvoo, his tragic loss of children on the trek to Utah (made me cry), and his life in Utah. Epic stuff. I believe his diary is now at that pioneer museum by the capitol in SLC.

Wow. Was it ever published? I'd love to read it!

HiJolly

Alexander Neibaur's diary was published at one of those vanity places for the family, idk where it can be found. I wish there was a place you can find pioneer diaries and histories, instead of having to search all over or just stumbling across them. My ggggrandfather was one of the first Jews to join the Church, I'm sure there are others with equally neat stories to tell.

• 1 month later...

my great great great grandpappy set the record for horseback from cedar city to SLC to inform the president what was happening and ask what people should do down in the area regarding some immigrants.... unfortunately things happened before he could get the president's response back to them.

He convinced the judge of BY's innocence in the matter.