Tithing - Can we pay more?

Taldarin

Is it doctrinally sound or condemned to pay more than 10% tithing?

Let us assume that someone has so much faith in the law of tithing that they expect even more blessings from paying, for example, 15%.

I thought I've read that you're not supposed to, but now I can't locate a source to that thought.

You could, because nobody but you and Heavenly Father would know how much your 10% is, but it wouldn't really serve any purpose. You wouldn't get more blessings than someone paying their 10%. The Lord requires 10%. If you are meeting that requirement, you don't need to pay more.

If you wanted to pay more than 10%, i'd suggest using the other boxes on the tithing slip. Make that extra money a fast offering, and perform a fast. Or donate to the other funds, like the Book of Mormon publication, or temple construction.

Or take that extra money over your 10% you'd be willing to pay as tithing, and put it towards food storage or a temple trip or set it aside for a rainy day. All of these things would bless you in some way in addition to the blessings you'd receive by paying your tithing.

See, this is why tithing bothers me. It seems so much like trying to buy favor with God, which is impossible, but the human psyche being what it is, people will try.

Why not take the money one would spend on extra tithing and look around the neighborhood to see who needs help, or purchase supplies for the local school, or see if a single mother needs some book money as she starts community college? That seems more meaningful, and more what I should do as a Christian, than tithing more in hopes for more blessings.

See, this is why tithing bothers me. It seems so much like trying to buy favor with God, which is impossible, but the human psyche being what it is, people will try.

Why not take the money one would spend on extra tithing and look around the neighborhood to see who needs help, or purchase supplies for the local school, or see if a single mother needs some book money as she starts community college? That seems more meaningful, and more what I should do as a Christian, than tithing more in hopes for more blessings.

Tithing is not "buying favor with God." God himself challenged us saying "prove me now herewith...if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." He is saying, if you don't think I'll bless you for paying tithing, try me. If you pay your 10%, he'll bless you. He's promised it. That's also why paying more than 10% doesn't get you any more blessings than someone who pays what is required.

As for taking the extra money and looking around the neighborhood for who needs help, that's what fast offerings are for. Plus, you get the added assurance that said money will be used to help someone instead of giving it to someone who might end up buying alcohol or something. Pam mentioned the perpetual education fund, which is a wonderful system set up to help those without means to attend school, do so, in a way which is managed by inspired church leaders.

Consecrate, Law of Consecration

To dedicate, to make holy, or to become righteous. The law of consecration is a divine principle whereby men and women voluntarily dedicate their time, talents, and material wealth to the establishment and building up of God’s kingdom.

Will you be blessed for living a higher law? Yep.

That doesn't mean it needs to go directly to the tithing fund. You can help support the missionary fund, Book of Mormon fund, a new temple fund... there are many opportunities to give.

There is even LDS Philanthropies where you can make charitable donations & contributions. Can be handy for estate & charitable planning!

Tithing by definition is 10%. Anything more or less is not tithing. Feel free to donate more if you want, but as others have said, it should be to Fast Offerings or Charitable Donations. The object, however, should be to help others, not to receive more blessings for yourself or your family. We should do what's right because it's right, and because we love God and our fellow beings.

Tithing is not "buying favor with God." God himself challenged us saying "prove me now herewith...if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." He is saying, if you don't think I'll bless you for paying tithing, try me. If you pay your 10%, he'll bless you. He's promised it. That's also why paying more than 10% doesn't get you any more blessings than someone who pays what is required.

As for taking the extra money and looking around the neighborhood for who needs help, that's what fast offerings are for. Plus, you get the added assurance that said money will be used to help someone instead of giving it to someone who might end up buying alcohol or something. Pam mentioned the perpetual education fund, which is a wonderful system set up to help those without means to attend school, do so, in a way which is managed by inspired church leaders.

The views expressed in the OP imply one is trying to buy favors of the Lord. As everyone has said pay 10% tithing and then use the other money to give to some other classification (PEF, missionary, BoM, etc) or organization.

We are commanded to take the initiative in helping others. If someone wants to donate to a charity or use that money to help a family in need, it is that person's right and blessing. Dahlia's desire to help a neighbor is noble--yes, I agree give to fast offerings, but that doesn't negate good than can be done on an individual level.

The term "tithing" means one tenth. If you wish to donate more than that amount, there are other offerings one can donate to: humanitarian fund, education fund, book of mormon fund, missionary fund, temple fund. Pay the extra 5% into these funds.

Or you can also look to donate some outside the Church, to many other great charities: Red Cross, Salvation Army, Feed the Children, etc.

Just a couple of things that I would add. We all come into this life naked and the truth is we will not take any material thing with us when we leave this life. The physical things we accumulate are really the L-rd’s. They are not our things – we are just temporary stewards.

I am impressed with those that not only keep the commandments but go beyond; that once they determine their tithing they put in an extra just to be sure. There is nothing wrong with seeking blessings from the L-rd. The only wrong comes from seeking blessings from man over and above the blessings of G-d.

I also believe that one’s covenants are with G-d; often through his appointed servants. There may be good or bad advice that comes from the likes of things like this forum (and me). If someone feels they should pay more than 10% into tithing funds; I see nothing “wrong” with following such sacred and holy promptings. But I also like one interesting thing mentioned in the scriptures said about the sacred things that touched Mary during the birth of our L-rd. Rather than run out and telling everybody she pondered them and kept them in her heart.

The Traveler

It is certainly not condemned. My branch president is, for instance, allways paying more in tithing than he should. The Lord requires at least 10% but "God loveth a cheerful giver" (2 Cor. 9:7). So those who does that will be even more blessed, I believe. Also consider that at this time or stage we are only paying 10% of our income to the Lord, which is the smaller law, and not sharing all our wealth with everyone as required under the united order in the celestial kingdom (see GS United Order).

John

Has there ever been a statement by a general authority on this ever in the history of the church? Or we're left to our own personal interpretations?

D&C 119: 4 - And after that, those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord.

Elder Oaks: “‘one-tenth of all their interest annually,’ which is understood to mean income.” The First Presidency has said, “No one is justified in making any other statement than this” (First Presidency letter, 19 Mar. 1970, quoted in the General Handbook of Instructions, 1989, p. 9-1), - Tithing

"From this fulness, the Lord requires that we dedicate one-tenth to him." -- Spencer W. Kimball, October 1980 Conference.

Ten percent is all the Lord requires to receive the blessings he's promised. There are countless references on LDS.org. All you have to do is search for them.