Prayer Rolls

slamjet

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to speak about, but I have questions about the Temple Prayer Rolls. Why are they there, what are they for, when did it start and does it really give anything different than a personal prayer or prayer's of the saints?

I've never been able to understand it.

It's where people worthy of the Celestial Kingdom, in attendance at the Temple join their faith in prayer to the God of Most High in a Celestial place, not of this earth, dedicated to the Lord, for those on the prayer rolls. You can't have much better prayer for those in need anywhere else.

It's where people worthy of the Celestial Kingdom, in attendance at the Temple join their faith in prayer to the God of Most High in a Celestial place, not of this earth, dedicated to the Lord, for those on the prayer rolls. You can't have much better prayer for those in need anywhere else.

How does one get a name on the Prayer roll?

As much as I appreciate the post, it still doesn't answer my question.

Lets just think of one temple in Utah. The endowment sessions start at 6am (5:30 a.m. in the SLC Temple), they start another one every 20 minutes (every 30 minutes in SLC Temple) all day long and the last one is at 8pm. Then lets just say there are 10 people in each prayer circle for each endowment session (often there are more). Do the math. That's a lot of prayers. Then if more than one temple is called double that. My mom has been known to call every temple in the SLC valley (plus Bountiful) to add a name to the prayer roll, then she calls me to add to Ogden/Logan. That's seven temples.

Names are kept on the prayer roll for two weeks. That's a lot of prayer.

Then.... add ThankGodForRepentance's observations.

How did it come to be? Its always been part of the endowment session as far as I know. I remember reading about it family pioneer journals.

Why and how is it different have been answered.

Edited by applepansy

Lets just think of one temple in Utah. The endowment sessions start at 6am (5:30 a.m. in the SLC Temple), they start another one every 20 minutes (every 30 minutes in SLC Temple) all day long and the last one is at 8pm. Then lets just say there are 10 people in each prayer circle for each endowment session (often there are more). Do the math. That's a lot of prayers. Then if more than one temple is called double that. My mom has been known to call every temple in the SLC valley (plus Bountiful) to add a name to the prayer roll, then she calls me to add to Ogden/Logan. That's seven temples.

Names are kept on the prayer roll for two weeks. That's a lot of prayer.

Then.... add ThankGodForRepentance's observations.

I understand that. But why? Why is it important for prayers to go to Gods ear multiple times? Is not one prayer from one person who is humble not be enough? Is not the prayer from the sufferer enough? I almost think this is more for the benefit of man's need for comfort and feeling the need to do something rather than God needs to hear it more than once. Or am I over-analyzing again?

I've been searching LDS.org and haven't come up with anything.

i don't know that everyone in the temple is worthy of the celestial kingdom. are they all seeking that goal? a safe assumption but if i waited till i was actually worthy then i would never go to the temple.

also there is the moment before the prayer begins where they invite those who may have hard feelings toward anyone else participating to opt out. there would be no need to give this opportunity for ppl to change their minds if all there were worthy of the celestial kingdom.

that moment is probably one of my favorite in the temple, it recognizes our imperfect state but still encourages us to continue forward.

i don't know that i would say the temple is a celestial place. a holy place yes.

as far as if there is a better prayer for those in need or not..... i like to think that the silent pleadings of a mother in the wee hours of the morning for her sick baby are pretty powerful. i can think of others as well but i think that illustrates my point well enough.

as for why i think it's for those participating. i think the process of praying together as a group can be uplifting. i believe there are very specific instructions to the officiator so we have the opportunity to learn about prayer while participating. i also think the physical act of putting a name on a paper and submitting it, the having to actually think to do that is important for us. it creates a learning to turn to god in a time of need, to make that our first thought, not just to utter a prayer but to call upon others to pray with you. it's a means of acting on faith, part of the change of heart and becoming more like christ (where our will is his will).

as with all commandments and such it is for the believer not god. he doesn't "need" us. there is something for us to learn in everything. you will probably understand better once you have participated (or not lol).

also, keep in mind we are not the only church to teach this principle (many faithful is more powerful than one). many churches have some kind of prayer group or line you can call. i have a lot of non lds friends on fb and they frequently ask for prayers, sometimes at very specific days and times so you can pray "together" for the request.

I understand that. But why? Why is it important for prayers to go to Gods ear multiple times? Is not one prayer from one person who is humble not be enough? Is not the prayer from the sufferer enough? I almost think this is more for the benefit of man's need for comfort and feeling the need to do something rather than God needs to hear it more than once. Or am I over-analyzing again?

I've been searching LDS.org and haven't come up with anything.

Why is it important for prayers to go to God's ears multiply times? Gene R Cook of the seventy answered these questions in his talk Receiving Answer to Our Prayers. He also made the point that sometimes what we are asking for requires a sacrifice on our part.

The same results can happen with individual prayers.

However, I do believe in the power of the prayer roll. It is amazing. I've had too many experiences when a miracle happened so closely related to when the name/names were put on the prayer roll it was difficult to say there wasn't a strong correlation.

You could ask these same questions of a Ward or family fasting and praying for an individual.

Edited by applepansy

How did it come to be, why?

The Temple has always been a house of prayer. Besides the prayers on set holy days, there was an altar of incense before the vail that led to the most holy place (holy of holies - where God would visit "between the cherubim"). John the Divine (what a great title) taught that the altar's smoke symbolized the prayer of the saints. In today's temple, in a similar place, the saints actually offer up a prayer.

The location of Temple prayer is interesting to me - that we are closest to the other side of the veil when we pray.

i don't know that everyone in the temple is worthy of the celestial kingdom. are they all seeking that goal? a safe assumption but if i waited till i was actually worthy then i would never go to the temple.

also there is the moment before the prayer begins where they invite those who may have hard feelings toward anyone else participating to opt out. there would be no need to give this opportunity for ppl to change their minds if all there were worthy of the celestial kingdom.

that moment is probably one of my favorite in the temple, it recognizes our imperfect state but still encourages us to continue forward.

i don't know that i would say the temple is a celestial place. a holy place yes.

as far as if there is a better prayer for those in need or not..... i like to think that the silent pleadings of a mother in the wee hours of the morning for her sick baby are pretty powerful. i can think of others as well but i think that illustrates my point well enough.

as for why i think it's for those participating. i think the process of praying together as a group can be uplifting. i believe there are very specific instructions to the officiator so we have the opportunity to learn about prayer while participating. i also think the physical act of putting a name on a paper and submitting it, the having to actually think to do that is important for us. it creates a learning to turn to god in a time of need, to make that our first thought, not just to utter a prayer but to call upon others to pray with you. it's a means of acting on faith, part of the change of heart and becoming more like christ (where our will is his will).

as with all commandments and such it is for the believer not god. he doesn't "need" us. there is something for us to learn in everything. you will probably understand better once you have participated (or not lol).

Gwen, I wish I could PM you.