Prayer Rolls

slamjet

One could say the most sacred prayers by "order" are made within the temples by those exercising faith for those in need. It is possible and part of the order of temple prayer for someone to enter the House of the L-rd, place their own name on the prayer roll and join in a sacred prayer granted by covenant to the saints - that can only take place in the temple. Then once such a saint has entered the Celestial room they can wait and mediated for the answers.

It has been my experience that so many saints intend to pray in the Celestial room rather than take advantage of the greater blessings that comes from listening there.

The Traveler

slamjet. yes my profile was set to view by friends only. i was not aware that prevented private messages also (it's not stated on the options). i had added some pics of my children and changed it at that time. i have opened my profile up, removed the pics of my children and sent you a friend request. that should solve the issue. sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to speak about, but I have questions about the Temple Prayer Rolls. Why are they there, what are they for, when did it start and does it really give anything different than a personal prayer or prayer's of the saints?

I've never been able to understand it.

well for one thing they do bring more Saints into praying for someone, and also helps them focus on the prayer.

My thoughts are of Enos right now.

9Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.

10And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments. I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads.

While the temple is a house of prayer... after we pray for ourselves and our loved ones, we should pray for the welfare of others. Placing names for prayer during the prayer circle gives us all a chance to pray for those that can really use our prayers - particularly in the temple and in the order of prayer as it was revealed for this purpose.

Just my own thoughts.

We are here on earth to serve .. to me the prayer lists in the temples are a way for us to be of service at that time. I have also always looked at it that if one prayer is good, how much more can be accomplished by a united group of people in the most sacred places on earth coming together on behalf of their brothers and sisters.

Short story about the prayer rolls ... a friend who considers herself multi denominatoonal call me and said she had a friend in her town who was a member of the church but had been estranged from it for many many years, this person had cancer and was scared out of her mind, my friend asked what she could do .. I told her to call her Bishop and then put her name on the prayer roll at the temple. This was done (a very positive experience for her BTW). A month later the person with cancer (she knew her name had been placed on the prayer roll) called her and said she need to talk to her ... her cancer was in remission. Was it just the natural course of things or the results of the prayers? Who knows but I know where my faith lies ....

What kind of problems would you have that warranted a temple prayer call?

I guess..whats 'bad' enough?

Not all prayers are about problems. There are blessings heald in reserve in heaven till individuals reach a level of spirituality that can only be obtained through prayer. (See prayer in the Bible Dictionary).

If the blessing for temple prayer were $500,000 - I think more saints would be interested but since the blessings are not money - sometimes it is harder to inspire the saints and thus often the temple prayers are not respected.

The Traveler

I'm not sure if "respected" would be the right word. I believe it's more "not understood" as, admittedly, is my case.

What I've gotten out of this thread thus far is that the Temple is more than a "secret" place, or heaven on earth. I've learned that the Temple is a place of learning. And this whole question of mine about the prayer rolls (no giggles Backroads) comes from not understanding the whole intent of the Temples to begin with.

If I was to summarize what I learned the purpose of the prayer roll is all about, it is thus:

The prayer roll is a vehicle of two purposes: first, to teach those in attendance the proper method and, more importantly, the proper attitude of prayer and second, to use the combined faith, power and spirit of those in attendance, who at that moment have a spiritual open mind and heart, for the betterment and blessing of those who others have deemed in need, who have submitted their names in faith.

Now I may be wrong, but this is what I've learned with this discussion.

Edited by slamjet
Decided to expand my explanation.

Traveler, I attended the temple yesterday. Because of your post, I listened more attentively during the prayer circle--both to the words of the prayer as well as to the Spirit. I can't say that I received any answers or revelation during that time, but it did help me to concentrate more and prepare myself for further knowledge. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Something I've been thinking of as I pondered this thread: we are taught that those who are endowed are "armed with power" (see D&C 109). Interesting choice of words. When you consider that the temple is where we learn all things we need to return to our Heavenly Father, it makes sense to me that learning about the order of prayer is important. Although the Lord can and does answer prayers by those who are not endowed, there are special blessings to be had by asking for them (see Bible dictionary on prayer).

I can tell you that in nearly every temple prayer I've attended over these many years, there are certain people who are mentioned in those prayers. Missionaries are probably #1, with the prophets and apostles a second. As a missionary, knowing that prayers every day in every temple were being offered to me helped me many times during the difficult times of my mission. There is power where 2 or 3 are gathered--and when those that are gathered are armed with God's power, that power is multiplied.

I'm not sure if "respected" would be the right word. I believe it's more "not understood" as, admittedly, is my case.

What I've gotten out of this thread thus far is that the Temple is more than a "secret" place, or heaven on earth. I've learned that the Temple is a place of learning. And this whole question of mine about the prayer rolls (no giggles Backroads) comes from not understanding the whole intent of the Temples to begin with.

If I was to summarize what I learned the purpose of the prayer roll is all about, it is thus:

The prayer roll is a vehicle of two purposes: first, to teach those in attendance the proper method and, more importantly, the proper attitude of prayer and second, to use the combined faith, power and spirit of those in attendance, who at that moment have a spiritual open mind and heart, for the betterment and blessing of those who others have deemed in need, who have submitted their names in faith.

Now I may be wrong, but this is what I've learned with this discussion.

It seems to me that the L-rd's method of teaching involves doing and not watching. I believe the L-rd intends that his Saints learn by becoming vested and involved. I do not believe the L-rd intends his Saints to be spectators.

My father said that there are two kinds of willing people (Saints). Those that are willing to do what-ever they are asked and those that are willing to let them.

The Traveler