Ideal Locations To Live In Salt Lake City

Bini

Right now we live up in the Avenues in a remodeled but older home. We actually quite like the location and for now its plenty big enough for just the two of us and our 3 indoor dogs. But now that baby is on the way (and we've contemplated this for a couple years already) we're considering in selling and moving into a roomier home. At this point we haven't done a lot of homework on this. I've done a little Googling here and there looking at homes-for-sale and new communities like Daybreak but not much else.

Where are some ideal locations that you'd recommend to live in Salt Lake City? Where did you choose to live and why? Did you just fall in love with a particular house or did other factors like the community and the schools play a role?

I grew up in Bountiful when if you wanted to buy more than black or white thread you had to go to SLC. We had a small JCPenney on Main street and an Albertsons. Everything else we did in SLC. Then SLC got strange. We raised out children in Bountiful until worldly influences became more and more evident.

My sisters and I have all moved out of the Salt Lake valley and live in more rural areas. We all feel its better for our children, even though it can be a tough commute. I live in the upper Ogden valley and my sisters live in Summit County. Our children today range in age from 30 to 5.

When my husband and I started looking for a place to move our focus was on education. If the schools weren't good then it didn't matter what the neighborhood was like. We found an attitude of excellence toward education in the Huntsville/Eden/Liberty area. My sisters love the Summit County schools.

My husband and I have found an benefit here that we didn't realize until we had been here awhile. Having been the birth place of a prophet has affected the attitudes of the residents in the valley. It is slowly changing as more and more people build vacation homes up here, but for the most part even the non and inactive members live the gospel. :) There is a common belief in Christ and there is a commitment to service here that I haven't seen in a community since I lived in the Val Verda 2nd Ward in Bountiful.

If I was moving and was starting a family I would again do the research necessary to find out about the schools.

Edited by applepansy

As you might have guessed based on my name, I live in Daybreak and we love it! We use to live in Sugarhouse and looked in the Ave's but we couldn't find anything my wife and I could both agree on or afford. I would dare say that right now Daybreak is kid centeral for the Salt Lake Valley, which is something we were looking for. Our ward has (3) Sunbeam classes for the 3 year olds with about 10 kids per class and I would venture to say that is typical for most of the wards in the Daybreak Stake. The area is constanlty growing, we are on our 5th ward in 3 years.

If you prefer the more traditional neighborhood layout, as in community area typically built before 1950, Daybreak is your best bet as it is built on principles of new urbanism.

If you are looking for a new home and don't want all of the homes on your street looking the same and just being a different shade of brown/gray stucco then Daybreak is for you - Daybreak homes are colorful!

IF you want openspace and a park with in a 5 minute walk of your doorstep then Daybreak is for you.

If you want a neighborhood with TRAX (opening this summer), a lake with boats to check out, jogging trails, a community swimming pool, a community rec center, highspeed internet, neighborhood gardens then Daybreak is for you.

If you want to have lots of LDS neighbors, but also have lots of diversity then Daybreak is for you. It's estimated that Daybreak is about 60% LDS - I would dare say the Oquirrh Mtn. Temple draws alot of LDS families.

But beware Daybreak is an HOA communty so there are some rules (nothing drastic like you hear on the news about other HOA's) and of course a fee to maintain everything. Currently the HOA feed is $98 (on single family homes, Condos and town homes have higher rates to cover their associated costs) which includes your high speed internet. The community gets a discounted rate from Qwest for all the homeoweners being bundled together.

If you want more info about Daybreak feel free to send me a private message.

We raised our children in Bountiful until worldly influences became more and more evident.

<<Shaking head>> Nothing personal here but Y'all really ought to try the 'real' world. It's statements like the above that make me so happy to never have lived in Utah and why we make jokes about 'Utah Mormons'.

<<Shaking head>> Nothing personal here but Y'all really ought to try the 'real' world. It's statements like the above that make me so happy to never have lived in Utah and why we make jokes about 'Utah Mormons'.

Now, now, now, to each their own.

This tip may not be useful to you for about five years, but you may want to look into whether the school district you locate in has a "choice" system. This means you can put your child in for any school in the district. Ours does. So, we could move into a neighborhood with large new homes, but lousy schools, and still get our kids in better ones. The downside is that doing so meant losing the bus ride. That can be a major hurdle for two-income households, but if you can shuttle your kids to school, this can be a way to get more house for less, without sacrificing quality of education.

I believe that every area has its good and bad points. A lot has to do with your own attitude. If you're unhappy where you live and hate all your neighbors, you'll have the same problems where you move to. If you love where you live and love your neighbors, you'll probably love your new area and love your new neighbors. Decide what's important to you, such as schools, the commute, distance from family, rural vs urban, etc. Do some investigating, and then depending on your price point, start looking for homes in the area that best fits your needs. In the Real Estate business they say location, location, location is everything. And what my perfect location is, may not be yours.

I've lived in the Millcreek area of SLC. Loved it. Olympus Cove area-loved it. Midvale-loved it. Kearns-loved it. Centerville-loved it. Bountiful-loved it. Currently live in Highland in Utah County. Love it. I have a son that lives in Bluffdale (Perry Farms) area. He loves it. I have a daughter and a son that just bought homes in Eagle Mountain. They were able to get into bigger homes for their money. They haven't been there long, but so far I think they like the area. I commuted from Highland up to the SLC airport for about 10 years. I put up with the commute because I love where we live. And compared to my 35 min. commute every day, when I look at some of the commute times in larger metropolitan areas, it really wasn't that bad. My husband and I chose Highland because it pretty much put us within commuting distance from jobs in both SLC area and the Provo area. And it put us half way between his family in Davis County and my family in the Payson area--45 minutes each direction. So, decide what's important to you--and just go for it. Right now is a great time to buy a home!

having once lived in Los Angeles, pretty much anywhere in Utah is going to be pleasant by comparison. I now live in Orange County, between the Newport Temple and the Real Housewives, and it's probably the most similar type of neighborhoods as those in Utah. Except we have great weather and the beach. :)