How to Do Baptisms For the Dead

Jason_J

So I'm meeting with my bishop this Sunday to discuss receiving a patriarchal blessing, tithing (I have no idea if I should be paying tithing now, at the end of the year, basically how exactly does it work?), and a limited temple recommend to do baptisms for the dead. I'm grateful to have a temple right here in Manhattan, and the temple building also has a ward, small distribution center, and PR office. I went to the distribution center to see if they had scriptures a couple weeks ago, and it was nice to walk around the building (obviously the non-temple part).

Anyway, once I receive the recommend, how often can I do baptisms? Do I need to schedule appointments, or wait for a ward group, or what? I'd like to be in the temple as much as I can, so I'm wondering how this works.

If you have been baptized then yes you should be paying tithing. As far as the limited recommend for baptisms for the dead or the recommend for a patriarchal blessing that's up to your bishop. Tell him your goals and he will give you the guidance you need.

After you get the recommended you will go to the temple. You don't need to bring anything but you and your recommend to the temple. The temple has people to guide you through the process and they will provide the clothing you'll need. You can do the baptisms as often as you want to, schedule the time with the temple. Its nice to go with a group but you can go on your own as well.

I have found that after time in the temple its good to spend some time pondering your experience there.

If you have been baptized then yes you should be paying tithing. As far as the limited recommend for baptisms for the dead or the recommend for a patriarchal blessing that's up to your bishop. Tell him your goals and he will give you the guidance you need.

After you get the recommended you will go to the temple. You don't need to bring anything but you and your recommend to the temple. The temple has people to guide you through the process and they will provide the clothing you'll need. You can do the baptisms as often as you want to, schedule the time with the temple. Its nice to go with a group but you can go on your own as well.

I have found that after time in the temple its good to spend some time pondering your experience there.

Thanks! So how should I be paying tithing? What do I do? Last time I was at the bishop's office, I saw some slips one of which said tithing I think and the other said fast offering. What do I do with these? Also, Fast Sunday will be this Sunday because of Conference, so how/when should I go about giving my offering?

I agree, I'm sure it'll be more fun/nice to go with a group. While I was investigating, during Priesthood, they passed around a form for people to sign up for a ward temple night to do baptisms for the dead. Hopefully next time I'll be able to go!

Thanks again!

Posted Image

This is the slip you should have seen. Most of it should be obvious. Enter your name, the date, your address, and your ward. The categories break down like this

• Tithing: 10% of your increase (whatever that means)
  • Fast Offering: The guideline is to give the money you would have spent on the two meals for which you are fasting. Exact accounting isn't important here. The principle is caring for the poor. Give to fast offering until it feels good (if that makes sense).
  • Ward Missionary: used to support missionaries in the ward. Usually you contribute to a specific person, although you don't have to. But money contributed to this category generally is devoted to the missionaries serving from that ward
  • General Missionary: Used to support the worldwide missionary effort. These funds are distributed by the Church to areas it deems is in need (could be to cover administrative costs or to pay for a missionary who is unable to support himself or herself).
  • Book of Mormon: Used to publish and distribute Books of Mormon.
  • Humanitarian Aid: Like the name implies, it helps fund the Church's charitable projects. This money is typically used to prepare supplies to be shipped in the event of some kind of need. For example, after the earthquake in Haiti, the Church had supplies delivered within 48 hours--while many other groups were just getting their fundraising into full swing*.
  • Temple Construction: Generally used by people wishing to donate to a specific temple, but can be used to contribute to a general pool of money as well.
  • Perpetual Education: Funds low interest loans for members is under developed countries to pursue an education and improve their job prospects. A great program that you can read a lot about on lds.org. It's modeled after the Perpetual Emigration Fund established by Brigham Young (which you can probably read about on Wikipedia).
  • Other: This is an administrative category, and not well understood by the general membership (in my opinion). But they don't really need to understand it, either, so that's fine. My advice is to not use this category unless your ward or stake leadership tells you to.

The categories that are 'expected' (so to speak) are Tithing and Fast Offering. The others are purely voluntary and are only listed for the convenience of members who want to contribute to these efforts. Of those categories, the only ones I have ever personally contributed to are Ward Missionary (our ward is supporting a missionary right now), and humanitarian aid. If the bug doesn't bite you, it doesn't bite you.

So when you're done writing in the amounts in each category, add up the total at the bottom, and then in the very bottom boxes, write in how much is paid by cash, check, and coin. This just helps the clerks verify how much was given with how much you intended to give (the record keeping of your donations is quite extensive and precise, in case you worry about security of the money).

I'm just budding in due to curiousity but, do LDS have orientation classes for new members?

M.

The Sunday School hour has a couple of classes, Gospel Doctrine for the "established" members (established used loosely) and Gospel Essentials for the new members and non-members.

When you have your temple recommend interview, your bishop will decide the period of time for which the recommend is valid. Usually, limited-use recommends (which allow members access to the baptistry only) are authorized for a year, but if the bishop wants to make it more or less, he simply writes in the expiration date. In some cases, he may even make it a one time thing. Don't be offended or concerned if he authorizes it for less time. For example, if I were your bishop, I might consider giving you a recommend for three months for no other reason that to force myself to have another interview with you in three months to talk about what your experience in the temple has been.

Once you have the recommend, you'll want to know your local temple's scheduling and use policy. It varies from temple to temple, depending on staffing issues. Your bishop and others in your ward will probably know about this. If not, you can call and the temple workers will be happy to answer any question you have. Generally, temples with a lot of traffic will allow walk ins for the baptistry. Those with less traffic may require you to come at a specific time (when they know they can be properly staffed) or to make an appointment.

The Sunday School hour has a couple of classes, Gospel Doctrine for the "established" members (established used loosely) and Gospel Essentials for the new members and non-members.

Do these classes cover things that Jason is wondering about - how to tithe? how to give a fast offering?

M.

I'm just budding in due to curiousity but, do LDS have orientation classes for new members?

M.

Sort of, not really, but we should.

We have "New member lessons" that review the missionary discussions. But I don't think they really get into the less theological details of life as LDS. These lessons are usually taught by home teachers or ward missionaries.

There is a temple preparation course for those preparing to go to the temple, but it focuses more on those going for the endowment, not baptisms. The institutionally recognized source of this education is priesthood and auxiliary leaders. We don't always do the best job of it--but that's one of the downsides of having a volunteer ministry.

Do these classes cover things that Jason is wondering about - how to tithe? how to give a fast offering?

M.

No they don't. The Gospel Principles/Essentials class, which is the class that I attend after Sacrament Meeting, is mainly focused on the basics of the Gospel. For example, last week we discussed Adam and Eve and the Fall. The week before we talked about the Creation.

There really isn't a class about how to "do" things in the Church, like how the Church actually "works".

Posted Image

This is the slip you should have seen. Most of it should be obvious. Enter your name, the date, your address, and your ward. The categories break down like this

• Tithing: 10% of your increase (whatever that means)
  • Fast Offering: The guideline is to give the money you would have spent on the two meals for which you are fasting. Exact accounting isn't important here. The principle is caring for the poor. Give to fast offering until it feels good (if that makes sense).
  • Ward Missionary: used to support missionaries in the ward. Usually you contribute to a specific person, although you don't have to. But money contributed to this category generally is devoted to the missionaries serving from that ward
  • General Missionary: Used to support the worldwide missionary effort. These funds are distributed by the Church to areas it deems is in need (could be to cover administrative costs or to pay for a missionary who is unable to support himself or herself).
  • Book of Mormon: Used to publish and distribute Books of Mormon.
  • Humanitarian Aid: Like the name implies, it helps fund the Church's charitable projects. This money is typically used to prepare supplies to be shipped in the event of some kind of need. For example, after the earthquake in Haiti, the Church had supplies delivered within 48 hours--while many other groups were just getting their fundraising into full swing*.
  • Temple Construction: Generally used by people wishing to donate to a specific temple, but can be used to contribute to a general pool of money as well.
  • Perpetual Education: Funds low interest loans for members is under developed countries to pursue an education and improve their job prospects. A great program that you can read a lot about on lds.org. It's modeled after the Perpetual Emigration Fund established by Brigham Young (which you can probably read about on Wikipedia).
  • Other: This is an administrative category, and not well understood by the general membership (in my opinion). But they don't really need to understand it, either, so that's fine. My advice is to not use this category unless your ward or stake leadership tells you to.

The categories that are 'expected' (so to speak) are Tithing and Fast Offering. The others are purely voluntary and are only listed for the convenience of members who want to contribute to these efforts. Of those categories, the only ones I have ever personally contributed to are Ward Missionary (our ward is supporting a missionary right now), and humanitarian aid. If the bug doesn't bite you, it doesn't bite you.

So when you're done writing in the amounts in each category, add up the total at the bottom, and then in the very bottom boxes, write in how much is paid by cash, check, and coin. This just helps the clerks verify how much was given with how much you intended to give (the record keeping of your donations is quite extensive and precise, in case you worry about security of the money).

Thanks so much, that was very helpful. One last question: how frequently do I pay tithing? Should it be every time I get paid?

There really isn't a class about how to "do" things in the Church, like how the Church actually "works".

We have some new members in the class I attend. And they went through the "how." We didn't take too much time on it, but it was helpful.

We have some new members in the class I attend. And they went through the "how." We didn't take too much time on it, but it was helpful.

Nice, well so far we haven't really gotten into "how's". It really would be helpful if such matters were gotten into early on, you know? ^_^

M.

Other than Sunday School classes, the closest thing to this would be the New Member Discussions that MOE mentioned. It was my experience as a missionary that these -- unfortunately -- often fell by the wayside. Additionally, they're more like an extension of the missionary lessons than a nitty-gritty orientation. A nuts-and-bolts class/lesson would be helpful, with things like how to pay tithing, not just the doctrine behind it.

Thanks so much, that was very helpful. One last question: how frequently do I pay tithing? Should it be every time I get paid?

As often as you want. You can do it with every paycheck, monthly, quarterly, all at the end of the year, whatever. Just make sure you do it. ;)

Regarding your interview with the bishop, it will be similar to your baptismal interview. He'll ask questions about your testimony, your commitment to the Law of Chastity and the Word of Wisdom, if you're paying tithing, etc. There won't really be anything unexpected.

M.

It depends on the ward. We have done classes that specifically cover the questions Jason is asking. At other times, its been the bishop explaining. We've had really good bishops who understand all the questions new converts ask.

Jason, when you go to the temple to do baptisms, you will get wet. Please remember to bring extra underclothing (which, BTW, you should wear white underclothing as you will be wearing a white jumpsuit and any colored underclothing will show through). Also bring anything with which you will need to be "groomed" afterwards. You're a guy, so I'm not sure what guys need after swimming (you won't be swimming but will be getting very wet), but women typically need lots of accoutrements (hair dryer, brush, comb, curling iron, etc.). So, just be prepared. The temple will supply towels.

When you attend the temple, you should wear church clothing. Also, we've been instructed that when we go to our temple interview, we should be dressed in church clothing.

Regarding tithing, as Wingy said, it's up to you when you pay it. No one will care if you pay a big ol' check once a year or pay once a week. We've been asked to pay a generous fast offering. Again, what we pay is completely up to us as individuals, but we are instructed to take the cost of the 2 meals we are fasting and then be generous with that.

When you complete the form, keep the yellow copy for your records and then hand the sealed envelope to either the bishop or one of his counselors ONLY. Do not give the envelope to the ward clerk or anyone else. As an FYI, you will receive a record of your donations at the end of the year. Review that for any errors and report those so they can be corrected before your final year end record is done (for your taxes). You will also attend a tithing settlement with the bishop where he will ask you to "declare" your tithing status -- full tithe payer, part tithe payer or not paying tithing.

I have to say, it's exciting to share this journey with you. I wish we all lived near each other to be there physically as you attend the temple, ask questions, and generally get a feel for the new culture you are a part of. Thanks for asking us along!

Guest saintish

In addition to what Beefche said all the temples i've went to also supplied plain white underwear for use during the baptism but by all means bring a change just in case your particular temple doesn't.

So I'm meeting with my bishop this Sunday to discuss receiving a patriarchal blessing, tithing (I have no idea if I should be paying tithing now, at the end of the year, basically how exactly does it work?), and a limited temple recommend to do baptisms for the dead. I'm grateful to have a temple right here in Manhattan, and the temple building also has a ward, small distribution center, and PR office. I went to the distribution center to see if they had scriptures a couple weeks ago, and it was nice to walk around the building (obviously the non-temple part).

most people I know pay tithing soon as they get their pay check, but i know a few people who have a separate bank account only for tithing that they have 10% of all their deposits sent to (they also had direct pay depositing as well), and then they just empty that account a few times a year to pay. I havent seen anything definite on when you should pay so that's probably something between just you and the Lord.

Anyway, once I receive the recommend, how often can I do baptisms? Do I need to schedule appointments, or wait for a ward group, or what? I'd like to be in the temple as much as I can, so I'm wondering how this works.

I think your bishop can get you the number to call for getting the temple schedule for the near future or would have a temple schedule.

Generally leaders want the members to use the Temple as much as is possible, so I'd imagine that your leaders would be very willing to work with you to help you get the most time out of the temple as possible.

In addition to what Beefche said all the temples i've went to also supplied plain white underwear for use during the baptism but by all means bring a change just in case your particular temple doesn't.

I've never had that. It's been awhile since I've done baptisms at the temple, but when I did before and when I helped the youth with baptisms, I don't remember ever having underwear available. Maybe it depends on the temple?

Guest saintish

sounds like it must. I'll never forget going there. every body forms a line and the temple worker asked "garments or underwear?" of course she didnt ask for a size and i ended up in a set of one-piece garments that could have fit a sumo wrestler!

so I met with the bishop today, and we discussed everything. We discussed the patriarchal blessing at length, as well as going through some thoughts from the stake patriarch. My bishop said that he'd go ahead and start the paperwork for that.

I also received my limited-use temple recommend! It's good for one year (so hopefully by the time that expires, I'll be able to receive a full recommend). We talked about the temple, and he said that that could happen sooner than the patriarchal blessing, so he asked if I wanted to do the interview then. I can't wait for my first time in the temple. We have a ward temple night for baptisms for the dead coming up on the 12th, and unfortunately I'm scheduled to work that evening, but I'm going to see if I can take it off, since it would be great to go with a lot of people from the ward the first time.

You should ask the bishop if its provided.

The first time I went to the temple at 12 nothing was explained to me. I'm guessing the young women leaders thought my parents would (and although they're active they at that time didn't have temple recommends). And, the bishop assumed the young women president would tell me. I just called my cousin up who told me there'd be extra underwear for me. My brother told me the young men got underclothes. In my temple they give the young women a onsie and thats it. As a new beehive I was really confused and no one told me to bring an extra bra. I'm sure other young women in the ward went without due to things not being explained. Now I always tell the new girls (and sometimes the old) to bring extra underwear.

The Portland Oregon temple provided the young women with white sports bras which was really nice :)