Tithing for airline crews

Javajot

“The simplest statement we know of is the statement of the Lord himself, namely, that the members of the Church should pay ‘one-tenth of all their interest annually,’ which is understood to mean income. No one is justified in making any other statement than this” (First Presidency letter, 19 Mar. 1970)

My suggestion, pray about it and do what you feel is right.

My thoughts are, since we are to pay 10% of our increase, that one would pay 10% of any excess per diem not used for expenses.

So I can deduct all my household expenses, food, clothing, utilities, insurance, etc. then pay 10% of what is left? I'm thinking you may have just worded that one wrong. ;)

I travel extensively for work, I bill for expenses, and there are items that are part of what I ultimately get paid that is part of the company expenses. That all being said, a tenth of what I get paid or paid for, is a tithe, in my opinion. And that is just it. As said just previous, you have to pray about that and if you and the Lord are on the same page, you feel good with what you came to, then there ya go. But you have to eat or sleep somewhere whether your working or not, right? :D

How do you know what the difference is between what you spend? Seems like a lot of trouble.

That's easy to figure out. If you are given $35 a day per diem for food and you only spend $20 a day that's a $15 difference.

This would require keeping every receipt over a month or year.

Not really. Most people turn in travel expense reports after each business trip. I took business trips when I lived in Hawaii. They were usually a week at a time. When I got back I turned everything in. That trip was then closed. Each time I took a trip it opened up a new case. It wasn't difficult at all.

Not really. Most people turn in travel expense reports after each business trip. I took business trips when I lived in Hawaii. They were usually a week at a time. When I got back I turned everything in. That trip was then closed. Each time I took a trip it opened up a new case. It wasn't difficult at all.

Usually when an expense report is required, there is no residual.

Usually when an expense report is required, there is no residual.

And I've never worked in a place where they gave you the money upfront either. I was told that my per diem for food was a certain amount each day. I paid for it and then submitted an expense report. I knew that I would only be reimbursed up to a certain amount each day.

Though years ago I had a friend that worked for a company out of San Diego. They paid him upfront, but any amount not used had to be reimbursed back to the company. Receipts had to be provided.

Sometimes I think we get so caught up in all the should we, could we, are we surrounding tithing, we forget the spirit of it.

Edited by pam

My brother used to work for a company where he'd be sent overseas for work. He received a per diem to cover his food expenses, but tracking was not required. Anything that was not spent they were free to keep. If the original question is about such a situation, I'm not sure what I would do. My first inclination would be to pay tithing on the excess, since what I'm using is company money covering a business expense, ie, not income. However, anything I kept I would consider income and tithe on it.

But I might change my mind given more thought.

I don't tithe on per diem unless it goes beyond the federal per diem rate. Basically, I tithe on what's on my W2 - because, if the per diem rate goes beyond the federal per diem rate, the excess should be reported on the W2. If I don't spend all my per diem, I don't consider it income because there are times when I have to spend more than my per diem (going to a more expensive hotel than the ones that the per diem can afford because of safety issues, etc.).

Somebody mentioned - but you also eat whether you're traveling or not. Yes, but travelling for your work is an expense that your company incurs for sending you out. You don't usually get to bring your kitchen and/or bed with you, therefore, you don't have a choice but to spend the big bucks for a restaurant and/or a hotel that your company is willing to pay for. They're not paying you the per diem as payment for services you rendered. They're paying you the per diem just like they pay for the electricity in your office cubicle.

At least that's how I work it out in my prayers to God when I am asked, are you a full tithe payer?

So I can deduct all my household expenses, food, clothing, utilities, insurance, etc. then pay 10% of what is left? I'm thinking you may have just worded that one wrong. ;)

I travel extensively for work, I bill for expenses, and there are items that are part of what I ultimately get paid that is part of the company expenses. That all being said, a tenth of what I get paid or paid for, is a tithe, in my opinion. And that is just it. As said just previous, you have to pray about that and if you and the Lord are on the same page, you feel good with what you came to, then there ya go. But you have to eat or sleep somewhere whether your working or not, right? :D

Nah, I worded it correctly. My thought is that you likely wouldn't be eating out, spending what you're spending on a restaurant meal, if it weren't for the fact that you are traveling for work. I spend about 50% of my year traveling for my job and we receive a per diem regardless if its used or now. If I use it for food, then I'm paying tithing on it. But if there is any excess, and there always is, then I count it as income. But not for tax purposes. :lol:

I came into this world with nothing. My "increase" is whatever has my name on it when I leave. My will states that 10% of that increase is to go to the Church when I die, and the rest is broken up among my heirs.

I have yet to pay a single dime in tithing, but every year I report that I'm a full tithe payer. And yes, this is a complete fiction.

I came into this world with nothing. My "increase" is whatever has my name on it when I leave. My will states that 10% of that increase is to go to the Church when I die, and the rest is broken up among my heirs.

I have yet to pay a single dime in tithing, but every year I report that I'm a full tithe payer. And yes, this is a complete fiction.

I got you beat, once a year I take 10% of the fat I've gained and give it to my Bishop.

I am a pilot and was wondering if there are any other crew members (pilots or flight attendants) on these boards and how you treat per diem as far as tithing goes.

Ask your bishop given that he is who you see at tithing settlement. Expenses incurred in the line of your job are exempt just as mileage for using your personal car would be. They are not part of your salary but rather the boss using you to pay his bills. I would think that if you convert any part of those expense checks that becomes taxable and titheable although (full disclosure here) I never claimed what I pocketed on my taxes. When I first started, I had a per diem and used it all most of the time anyway. Years later, hotel rooms were often direct billed and I put almost everything else on the company card. I am surprised that your employer doesn't do that - direct bill and company credit card that is. You might ask about getting a CC if you have to wait for home office to cut a check to you. Just a thought.

Edited by jlf9999